BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#996009 - 09/03/17 02:26 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Bud]
roadscholar Online

Loc: N. Fla.
Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: roadscholar
I've always enjoyed the fact that to change the battery on an l100 or 1150RT requires dealing with twenty-two separate fasteners. That's five times the amount of many motorcycles and ten times that of some. It's cruel, there's no other explanation : )

It's the German way to make things more complicated than necessary. However, I have a friend who has had a lot of Bimmers, right before the 3 year warranty runs out, he trades. Says it is a lot cheaper in the long run. grin

Probably more a sign of the times, I've disassembled and reassembled a few dozen Porsche's back in the day and found them to be logical, intuitive, and fun to work on. But then 2002's and 320i's were pretty simple to work on too.

Over the past couple decades I think manufacturer's have purposely tried to monopolize repair and maintenance on their vehicles by making stuff overly complicated or requiring proprietary equipment. But I also believe BMW was one of the early pioneers of the strategy.

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#996014 - 09/03/17 03:20 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
I'm sure you are right Bill. I know I didn't need a 911 device to work on my oilheads. thumbsup

#996165 - 09/05/17 12:26 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
BeemerBerg Offline

Loc: Kanab, Utah
My wife's Can Am Spyder was never meant to be serviced.
Their style designers never consulted with their mechanical engineers
When building these beauties.
To remove one of the hex bolts on the oil filter housing, you must drill a hole in the frame to insert 6mm he'd.
I just spent a half day replacing a fog light bulb (after special ordering the unique size)
I now know every French-Canadian swear word.

1999 R1100 RT ("Wolfgang") [sold @ 130,000 miles]
2005 R1200RT ("Red Baron") [still going strong @ 115,000 miles]
2010 R1200RT ("Zigfried")

#996202 - 09/05/17 02:49 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: BeemerBerg]
MikeB60 Offline

Loc: Columbus, GA and Fort Rucker, ...
Originally Posted By: BeemerBerg
My wife's Can Am Spyder was never meant to be serviced.
Their style designers never consulted with their mechanical engineers
When building these beauties.
To remove one of the hex bolts on the oil filter housing, you must drill a hole in the frame to insert 6mm he'd.
I just spent a half day replacing a fog light bulb (after special ordering the unique size)
I now know every French-Canadian swear word.

I refuse to work on my wifes Spyder. Cant get it on the lift table and the Tupperware is a PITA to deal with.

Might try to change the tires when the time comes but we will see.

That one goes to the dealer!

#996204 - 09/05/17 03:52 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
Somewhat related. New John Deere equipment is not sold but the owner is prohibited from accessing/modifying software.

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

#996207 - 09/05/17 05:04 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
John Ranalletta Offline

The list is virtually endless. Pet peeves? Wheel barrels with a x-bar across the struts strategically placed to bark your shins when emptying; sawzall carry case that forces owner to kink the cord such that it breaks near the handle; and the list goes on.

I'm convinced most lawn and garden tools are designed by bright, 23 y/o engineers in Shanghai who live in 2-room hi-rise apartments and who've never seen a blade of grass or had to use what they design.

Some of his stuff is NSFW due to language, but Ave dissects tools...a bit more than unboxing. https://youtu.be/KWubvrbcBRo

Edited by John Ranalletta (09/05/17 05:06 PM)

#996208 - 09/05/17 05:10 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: John Ranalletta]
Lone_RT_rider Offline

Loc: Germantown, WI
Originally Posted By: John Ranalletta
I'm convinced most lawn and garden tools are designed by bright, 23 y/o engineers in Shanghai who live in 2-room hi-rise apartments and who've never seen a blade of grass or had to use what they design.

Nah, the Shanghai design engineers are too high priced in China. Most of that work is done in Donguan, about mid-way between Guangzhou and Shenzhen. smile

Don't ask how I know.... tongue

Shawn

#996212 - 09/05/17 06:07 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: John Ranalletta]
Living the Dream Offline

Loc: Walnut Cove, North Carolina
Originally Posted By: John Ranalletta

I love simplicity in design:

Not mine but just like it
2010 Shadow RS
2006 R1200rt
PRC-E7

#997006 - 09/15/17 08:16 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
RPG Offline

Loc: Detroit Metro Area
I'll weigh in.

My 2007 Chevy Silverado (Classic) has been an incredible, trouble free vehicle for it's 130k miles.

A few years ago, the temperature control backlight went out and I had to order the bulbs online.

Then followed a lengthy process to remove the SOLDERED in lightbulbs on a PCB.

One would think that if using a light source on a PCB, one would either use a removable bulb OR, drum roll.........a set of LED's!

Fixed the lights and of course, last year, the same ones burnt out again. I'm leaving it alone. LOL!

Ayn Rand

#997010 - 09/15/17 08:48 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: RPG]
sardineone Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
I'll join in a bit late with my two examples. First the omission of the sight glass on the filter dryer of an automotive AC unit. An exquisitely simple and accurate device to see when your AC is fully charged with refrigerant. My 2000 Toyota Sienna is the latest vehicle I've personally seen that still has one. Why are they left off most cars is most likely to increase the profit per vehicle by maybe 50 cents per vehicle. Second my 86' Moto Guzzi with a spin on oil filter. Only catch is to get at it you have to remove 3 screws,a plastic cover along with 22 Allen bolts and 4 long hex bolts to remove the oil pan. The reason I'm pretty sure is Moto Guzzi hates to retool for anything and they modified the original aluminum oil pan of older models that had just a screen to have the filter as well. dopeslap
R1200ST(ESA equipped)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5