IGNORED

Houston Flood

realshelby

Anyone need some rain?

I have a weather station mounted about 20' in the air on a pole. Seems accurate, compared with the "dump to empty" manual gauge I also have. Just passed 27 inches of rain here at my home/shop. No problems yet. I am higher than average and we have a levee. But there comes a time when you just cannot stay ahead..........

Got hooked by some live coverage on CBS. Switched to Houston station

thru a Dallas station because the KHOU studios were flooded out. Over twenty inches received already, coming down at over an inch plus per hour, expected to continue into Wednesday, maybe Thursday. Water levels increasing visibly within a twenty minute segment. 250+ highway closures so far (when do they run out of signs?). Potential still exists for tornados.

It's hard enough to recover from a momentary disaster - this one will just be getting worse for days to come.

KHOU moved from the 1st to the 2nd floor this morning. Then not too long after they were told to evacuate! That is how fast this flooding can come on. I have been through a 110 mph hurricane with the eyewall near my house. This is different, not sure it is better or worse. Somewhat of a break this afternoon. 27.5 inches since Friday. Raining again. But it isn't the downpours like we have seen. Rates of 6 inches per hour are hard to believe without being seen.

realshelby, where are you located in Houston. Lived in Tomball years ago when a low pressure sat over the area and there was flooding, but not like this. Stay safe and dry!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you! I'm watching CNN and they said that there may be an additional 50 inches of rain this week. I hope that you can stay safe.

Doug

Good to hear, hope it stays that way for you. Just checked and it looks like more rain is there. Have a friend in Cypress with only flooded streets as of earlier today. Again stay safe!

Not so good here in Bellaire. Most things flooded. I have 4 neighbors in upstairs. 29 inches of rain since Friday night and expecting 15 more by tomorrow. Fools that parked on street are fully submerged. Can't see their roofs anymore. Whole city flooded. This one is bad folks

I have been through two hurricanes in the last 4 years.

Arthur and Matthew. Luckily, my Island doesn't flood,though I have seen the devastation all around me. Parts of N.C. still trying to recover . My thoughts go out to all the Texans.

I'm sorry to hear of our members' travails and the mess in general. I hope it breaks soon, so everyone affected can get on with the business of recovering.

A few years ago we had a storm cell stall over our home, with 17-20" of rain falling in a 24-hour period. Even in an area that is reasonably well equipped to deal with heavy rain, the effects were devastating. It's hard to fathom the impact on Texas. Thankfully, y'all are tough as nails.

Loading up the motorhome now. Waded through knee deep water to get it out of the storage yard. But, I can drive it to one of the overpasses near the house. I will be safe and somewhat comfortable. There is a slim chance I could get through this without home flooding. All depends on Brazos river crest height and the levee not breaching if it goes over.

We are passed 32" inches of rain here...

No Worries.....

Edited by realshelby
There is a slim chance I could get through this without home flooding. All depends on Brazos river crest height and the levee not breaching

Wishing you the best, it's hard to fathom (pun not intended) what you guys are dealing with! :eek:

Pat

I sure hate to see you going through this, it brings back difficult memories. Best of luck and if you need a place to stay don't hesitate to come to NO.

Got some relief overnight but started raining about 6am and just keeps coming. Supposed to rain until Friday. As much as 7- 10 feet of water in homes. So far we have minimal damage as newer home on higher ground. Every house on my street has water waist deep or higher except us. Whole city flooded. It's not Katrina like our neighbors in La but news reporting most water recorded ever. Transformers popping all over town. Safe but wet

Sorry to hear the bad news guys - I am beginning to understand the extremes of weather you guys have to endure! I am relieved that my flight back to the UK was the day before this all kicked off.

My son is in the Heights in Houston and luckily he is on the 4th floor but says the roads around are all flooded.

Fingers crossed that the rain stops soon and best wishes to Real shelby and Skywagon.

Down here in FL the fire ants move up the palm trees ahead of an approaching storm, this is how we can tell we're in for it...

if you are planning on flying to Houston in the near term...the FAA has issued all airspace around Houston closed until further notice for all aircraft except government emergencies services, coast guard, etc. The two big airports are closed and of course all the GA airports are prohibited from flight.

Just got a news copter picture where I keep my airplane in my hangar. Water at least mid-way up in hangar....Looks like it will be completely submerged. Water still rising for at least 2 more days.

I've not really ever described my airplane here as is a motorcycle forum...but for fun I will. It's a 1955 Cessna 180 taildragger. I bought it in pretty good shape in 2000. I sent it to a shop in Greely Colorado that specializes in antique aircraft. Every panel, every rivet, every wire, every ever this was pulled off, new ones made or bought, and put back together. A new modern engine and avionics were installed along with new interior. It is a show piece and has won many awards including Oshkosh awards.

I'm sick... I've never been able to post pictures here so guess you imagination will have to do.

I just checked my insurance policy and I find no mention of exclusion that would apply to water, flood, hurricane, etc. Getting it insured was a big deal because it is off the charts relative to book value. We reached an agreement on actual value which is close to what I have in it. With any luck I will be ok financially but there isn't another like it and I don't have the patience to do what I did again. It was clearly a once in a lifetime project.

Such is life though...we are all safe and in the end...it's just a material object.

Will try to add small picture but suspect I can't

Just got a news copter picture where I keep my airplane in my hangar. Water at least mid-way up in hangar....Looks like it will be completely submerged. Water still rising for at least 2 more days.

I've not really ever described my airplane here as is a motorcycle forum...but for fun I will. It's a 1955 Cessna 180 taildragger. I bought it in pretty good shape in 2000. I sent it to a shop in Greely Colorado that specializes in antique aircraft. Every panel, every rivet, every wire, every ever this was pulled off, new ones made or bought, and put back together. A new modern engine and avionics were installed along with new interior. It is a show piece and has won many awards including Oshkosh awards.

I'm sick... I've never been able to post pictures here so guess you imagination will have to do.

I just checked my insurance policy and I find no mention of exclusion that would apply to water, flood, hurricane, etc. Getting it insured was a big deal because it is off the charts relative to book value. We reached an agreement on actual value which is close to what I have in it. With any luck I will be ok financially but there isn't another like it and I don't have the patience to do what I did again. It was clearly a once in a lifetime project.

Such is life though...we are all safe and in the end...it's just a material object.

Will try to add small picture but suspect I can't

I'll send you a PM with my email address. If you email me a photo, I can post it.

In the mean-time, here's a picture from the internet.

IMG_1491.JPG

Dude, that actually made my stomach lurch. That's a beautiful aircraft, and I'm deeply saddened by your loss of it. My Dad was a GA pilot, and I spent a lot of time at the local airport around all sorts of different machines. Given all the hassles the US aviation industry has experienced in the last few decades, I really bummed out by the loss of a great plane like yours. I totally get that you wouldn't have the patience to go through another rebuild. I just hope that there is someone somewhere who does. Best of luck and my most sincere condolences.

David, I am sorry to hear about the Cessna. Insurance is one thing. I put my Shelby up on the four post lift in the garage. It would have been safe there regardless. Don't want to deal with the hassle, even with insurance! The other cars can be replaced. However, your Cessna might not be as hard to bring back as it was to get into the shape it was. Don't give up hope.

On a brighter note, I brought the RV back home yesterday and parked it in front of the house. I can be gone in 1/2 hour if need be. BUT...it looks like the danger of the river topping the levee is MUCH less. Or even a problem with the levee is much less. Not going to jinx myself by saying all is good, but right now I will take my odds with a big smile. I posted somewhere 50 inches of rain, but that was what my Son told me ( he was at the house much of the time ). The gauge had 4.73" inches on it before the start of the storm. Final total at my house is 46.01" inches of rain over 5 days. That is higher than the handlebars on a new RT. Think about that....I am so lucky to not (so far) have to deal with flood water in my home or shop.

Edited by realshelby

Well had my initial conversation with insurance today. Although we haven't seen it because you can't get there, their view is it will be a total if wet in the fuselage. I asked them if they were going to sell as salvage..they said no because if corrosion were to happen on a part, they might be found liable...so would just junk it...I nearly cried. The water is still rising in that area and will until tomorrow. I suspect I can get in around Tuesday. Crossing my fingers.

Marty....it's not a Jenny...but I know you would have like the old/made new girl.

Man, nice plane, and I'm sorry for your likely loss. Taildraggers rule!

I do have a somewhat insensitive question I've wondered about, if you'll forgive my asking. I've seen a number of pictures of hangared planes amid various degrees of destruction, and I had to ask myself: why didn't plane owners fly their planes somewhere else ahead of the hurricane? It seems a reasonable thing to do. I suspect the reasons might be quite varied, and a big one might be they were too busy trying to make sure their homes and families were safe. Or maybe they wouldn't have been able to return to their homes and families after flying the plane someplace safe. But a plane is a very expensive but easily movable asset. But then, I suppose most are insured and fairly readily replaceable.

Hey Bill..not a sensitive question, don't mind at all. I know you guys have heard this on the news but it's really true. No one, not FEMA, not the Weather people, etc anticipated anywhere near this kind of water and for such an extended period of time. Had their been any indication this was remotely going to happen, I would absolutely have flown the airplane to safer ground and rental car home. The airport actually sent us a note on the beginning of the 2nd day of the rain and said all clear...come fly. Then all H E double hockey sticks broke loose. There are dams and rivers that have been breached.

One of the statistics to give you an idea, is 9 Trillion gallons of water in Houston in 48 hours. In and around the Houston area even more. One of the analyst said...if you measure the water, there was enough to put 1/4 inch across the entire lower 48 states.

Water is still rising here even though there has been no rain for 2 days now. It will rise for another 2-3 days. There are 45,000 people in shelters.

I got out on my motorbike earlier today and took a drive through the neighborhood. Not a cliché, but it does look like a warzone.

I lived in San Francisco during Loma Prieta and the Oakland hills during the big fire that burned 3000 homes down....This is orders of magnitude more damaging.

My beach house in a coastal town called Port Aransas...gone..not there....

We are safe, dry, and have good fortune so for now we are just helping less fortunate neighbors.

My airplane insurance agent has said they will just total the airplane as don't want to have the airplane or any parts of it put back in service due to liability issues.

I have lot's of stuff in my hangar that won't be covered like a tug, motorbike, countless tools, nice furniture, fridge, compressors, and much more.

I just keep reminding myself...we are safe and like for us will return to normal soon sans dealing with insurance.

One of the very sad anomalies is there are some houses north of here that didn't flood; but because the reservoirs are so full the corp is worried about damn breakage. They've told people downstream to evacuate we are going to let water out and that water will flood your homes. They said the water is so high it will take 3-4 months for the resevoirs they are relieving to return to non-dangerous status.

This is the most water ever recorded in US History...

Edited by Skywagon

Hey Bill..not a sensitive question, don't mind at all. I know you guys have heard this on the news but it's really true. No one, not FEMA, not the Weather people, etc anticipated anywhere near this kind of water and for such an extended period of time. Had their been any indication this was remotely going to happen, I would absolutely have flown the airplane to safer ground and rental car home. The airport actually sent us a note on the beginning of the 2nd day of the rain and said all clear...come fly. Then all H E double hockey sticks broke loose. There are dams and rivers that have been breached.

One of the statistics to give you an idea, is 9 Trillion gallons of water in Houston in 48 hours. In and around the Houston area even more. One of the analyst said...if you measure the water, there was enough to put 1/4 inch across the entire lower 48 states.

Water is still rising here even though there has been no rain for 2 days now. It will rise for another 2-3 days. There are 45,000 people in shelters.

I got out on my motorbike earlier today and took a drive through the neighborhood. Not a cliché, but it does look like a warzone.

I lived in San Francisco during Loma Prieta and the Oakland hills during the big fire that burned 3000 homes down....This is orders of magnitude more damaging.

We are safe, dry, and have good fortune so for now we are just helping less fortunate neighbors.

My airplane insurance agent has said they will just total the airplane as don't want to have the airplane or any parts of it put back in service due to liability issues.

I have lot's of stuff in my hangar that won't be covered like a tug, motorbike, countless tools, nice furniture, fridge, compressors, and much more.

I just keep reminding myself...we are safe and like for us will return to normal soon sans dealing with insurance.

One of the very sad anomalies is there are some houses north of here that didn't flood; but because the reservoirs are so full the corp is worried about damn breakage. They've told people downstream to evacuate we are going to let water out and that water will flood your homes. They said the water is so high it will take 3-4 months for the resevoirs they are relieving to return to non-dangerous status.

Bill I can't seem to post right now disappearing text. Not sure if this will come through or not. not offended by question and have answer for you as soon as can get text to post.

Edited by Skywagon

I got out on my motorbike earlier today and took a drive through the neighborhood. Not a cliche, but it does look like a warzone.

One of the very sad anomalies is there are some houses north of here that didn't flood; but because the reservoirs are so full the corp is worried about damn breakage. They've told people downstream to evacuate we are going to let water out and that water will flood your homes. They said the water is so high it will take 3-4 months for the reservoirs they are relieving to return to non-dangerous status.

Repost of Skywagon's post with disappearing text. It was the accented e in cliche.