IGNORED

Fuel Gauge Shows Empty & Bike Wont Crank 2011

robertgalka

I have a 2011 R1200RT, build date 02/11. Today I was riding and the fuel light came on. I stopped for coffee about two miles later, and then tried to start it, and it wouldn't crank, no relays clicking, and no fuel pump whine. I pushed it to the local gas station and put in some fuel, not full, then everything worked fine.

I rode a little bit more, ran some errands, and then came home. I tried to start it again and the same thing happened. I pushed it over to my shop and then it fired up no problem.

Is there some sensor that won't let the bike crank when the tank is empty? Both times when it wouldn't crank the fuel gauge didn't show anything. I'm thinking I might have a fuel gauge sending unit problem, because the tank is half full now. The bike shouldn't have the fuel strip, I believe that ended 08/2010.

I have a 2011 R1200RT, build date 02/11. Today I was riding and the fuel light came on. I stopped for coffee about two miles later, and then tried to start it, and it wouldn't crank, no relays clicking, and no fuel pump whine. I pushed it to the local gas station and put in some fuel, not full, then everything worked fine.

I rode a little bit more, ran some errands, and then came home. I tried to start it again and the same thing happened. I pushed it over to my shop and then it fired up no problem.

Is there some sensor that won't let the bike crank when the tank is empty? Both times when it wouldn't crank the fuel gauge didn't show anything. I'm thinking I might have a fuel gauge sending unit problem, because the tank is half full now. The bike shouldn't have the fuel strip, I believe that ended 08/2010.

Morning robertgalka

Your 2011 BMW 1200RT doesn't have any sort of low fuel sensor or low fuel circuit that prevents engine cranking.

We will probably need a little more info from you to be of much help as the very limited info furnished doesn't give us much to go on.

About the only thing that broadly covers your situation is a loose battery cable connection. (maybe try tightening the battery cables at the battery)

Otherwise we will need more information--Like EXACTLY what was showing on the dash when you had the problem (any little icon or lack of normal thing showing)

EXACTLY what was showing on the dash when you tried cranking engine, any changes in dash?

Were you holding the clutch lever in when it wouldn't crank?

Was the neutral light on when it wouldn't crank?

ANYTHING else look unusual before or during engine cranking attempts?

Did dash boot up normally when you turned the key on?

I have a 2011 R1200RT, build date 02/11.

Anybody know if this was the camhead time frame that was prone to faulty switches? I recall heat was an issue, folks were pouring ice water on them as a temporary fix. BMW finally started a replacement campaign.

I have a 2011 R1200RT, build date 02/11.

Anybody know if this was the camhead time frame that was prone to faulty switches? I recall heat was an issue, folks were pouring ice water on them as a temporary fix. BMW finally started a replacement campaign.

Morning Larry

Yes, that bike could have one of the faulty handlebar switch pods.

That is why I'm trying to get him to tell us what is & isn't showing on the dash.

A bad kill switch can shut down the fuel gauge & service reminders but still allow other dash functions with the key on.

I tried clutch in and out, kickstand up and down. The dash looked normal except there wasn't any bars on the fuel gauge, it was blank. All of a sudden the fuel gauge started working and so did the fuel pump. It started right up.

I rarely drive this bike and use it only for short trips. I never use a tender and it always cranks fast. I ran the battery down in the winter and it did all kind of strange things, so maybe the battery is getting weak? I'll check the battery cables and hook it up to a battery tender.

Intermittent electrical problems are always difficult to find.

Edited by robertgalka
I tried clutch in and out, kickstand up and down. The dash looked normal except there wasn't any bars on the fuel gauge, it was blank. All of a sudden the fuel gauge started working and so did the fuel pump. It started right up.

I rarely drive this bike and use it only for short trips. I never use a tender and it always cranks fast. I ran the battery down in the winter and it did all kind of strange things, so maybe the battery is getting weak? I'll check the battery cables and hook it up to a battery tender.

Intermittent electrical problems are always difficult to find.

Evening robertgalka

After you check the battery cable connections, if they are tight then might try turning the kill switch to OFF then turn the key on & see if the dash looks similar to what you remember it looked like when it wouldn't start.

Evening robertgalka

After you check the battery cable connections, if they are tight then might try turning the kill switch to OFF then turn the key on & see if the dash looks similar to what you remember it looked like when it wouldn't start.

When I turn the key on with the kill switch off I think the dash looks the same. The fuel gauge doesn't light up, and I don't hear relays or a fuel pump. I think the switches are a common problem on these bikes. I'm going to have to do a little research.

Evening robertgalka

When I turn the key on with the kill switch off I think the dash looks the same. The fuel gauge doesn't light up, and I don't hear relays or a fuel pump. I think the switches are a common problem on these bikes. I'm going to have to do a little research.

Morning robertgalka

If the dash looks the same with kill switch OFF then a good chance the R/H switch pod is dying. (BMW has a service advisory on them so a good chance that your dealer will replace it for free).

I called the dealer to see how much a switch is worth, and they said they will replace them for free. It makes sense that the switch was defective, when the bike sat in the sun it wouldn't start. I moved it to the shade for a couple of minutes and everything was good again.