IGNORED

Battery isolator

Alan Sykes

My pal with the '04 GS Adventure - enormous bike - and I with my much more easily nick-able '04 Rockster, are both thinking of interposing an isolator switch into the battery negative feed. A simple switch installed near the battery and beneath the locked driver's seat.

Mo has a fancy alarm on his GSA ( hate 'em - and they don't stop scroats from loading the bike into their van ).

And I'm also wondering whether an ECU reset would be needed every time the bike is woken up in the parking lot or after a week or so's snooze in the garage with the electric circuits effectively isolated.

Any thoughts from the gurus ?

AL in s.e. Spain

Yes, each time you switch the battery lead to OPEN, you will reset your Motronic, lose all your learned fueling trims, and will need to reset the TPS.

Switching the battery lead doesn't sound like a good idea to me since in addition to the above, it may add resistance into the starter and alternator circuits. Just add a switch in series with the green wire coming from the key if you think a hidden switch will help you.

Edited by roger 04 rt

Mo has a fancy alarm on his GSA ( hate 'em - and they don't stop scroats from loading the bike into their van ).

A switch won't stop the "scroats".

What about a cell phone based tracking device?? Trackr

I'd plant a decoy in a semi-hidden place and the real one in a much harder to find location. You can use it to make sure the bike is where it's supposed to be while eating, vacationing, etc. No one pays any attention to alarms anymore. 99.9% false signals.