BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#995744 - 08/30/17 03:08 PM The Harley State
BamaRider Offline

Loc: Prattville, Ala
A article out of a business news feed came across my page yesterday, talking about the troubles at HD.

Sales down almost 10% from year ago, and the new 88 motor not generating much buzz. Their market share under 50% for the first time in who knows when. These were business guys and knew nothing about motorcycles or what could be wrong at HD, so they had no solutions, and were backing off any investment going that way.

I suggest numbers are down because millennials are not impressed with a HD, and us baby boomers, maybe have one more bike left in us before we trade for a golf cart, HD and much of the industry have to plot a way forward.

Honda et all know this, thus the recent input of starter bikes out of Asia. (CB 550). Look, the "wasp looking" bikes are not me, but millennials seem to like that sort of stuff, so you gotta compete for them. Hope to snag a few, and maybe keep them around for 50 years. (me).

I dunno what HD is going to do. If they sit around and wait for them to decide to become "real" motorcyclists and buy into the HD brand, and all that goes with it, might be too late. They are so invested into that, it might need something drastic.

I understand they make a entry level bike, but in the end it is a V twin, and looks like a HD, and I don't see millennials buying it, with all those cheaper, high tech, wasp bikes out there to choose from.

The gen X guys, along a good portion of the baby boomers have gone the dual sport route. A few years ago, no one knew how the sport tourer, ADV market would shake down. Outside of BMW and Yamaha, most treat the sport tourer as after thought, so that decision has been decided. Honda makes 3 dual sport bikes, and dropped the ST. There ya go.

I waiting to see how HD fixes their problem with millennials, because I'd never sell them short on their marketing prowess.

I hope we don't go extinct before I land one of those new wetheads.

2014 FJR 1300 ES
2017 CB 1100 EX
www.bamarider.com

#995752 - 08/30/17 06:41 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
Happy Birthday Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
Spot on thumbsup

#995753 - 08/30/17 07:05 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
John Bentall Offline

Loc: London, England
The huge assumption being made here is that the alternative to the HD is "wasp" bikes.

The alternative to HD for the millenials might be to gaze lovingly at their tablet phones doing social networking or whatever else.

HD has many different avenues of competition and needs to make motorcycling more exciting and enchanting than an iPad. Mounting the old "iron horse" just doesn't cut it anymore on its own.

#995755 - 08/30/17 08:00 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: John Bentall]
68% of an RT

Originally Posted By: John Bentall
The huge assumption being made here is that the alternative to the HD is "wasp" bikes.

The alternative to HD for the millenials might be to gaze lovingly at their tablet phones doing social networking or whatever else.

HD has many different avenues of competition and needs to make motorcycling more exciting and enchanting than an iPad. Mounting the old "iron horse" just doesn't cut it anymore on its own.

Or buying RnineT's of one flavor or another. grin

#995757 - 08/30/17 08:06 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Bud]
CommuterChris Offline

Loc: Dallas, Georgia
Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: John Bentall

Or buying RnineT's of one flavor or another. grin

R9T RT please. Not the big fairing the current one has, something from with a bit more protection than a F800

#995759 - 08/30/17 08:28 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
68% of an RT

#995768 - 08/30/17 10:11 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Bud]
CommuterChris Offline

Loc: Dallas, Georgia
doesn't fit the bill.

#995776 - 08/31/17 01:26 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: CommuterChris]
TEWKS Offline

Loc: Tewksbury, MA.
whistle

Pat

#995789 - 08/31/17 03:38 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
elkroeger Offline

Loc: Rochester WA
I always thought shutting down the Buell line was a mistake. I'd like to see them resurrect that, with some different engine configurations. Like BMW did with the F or K series.... I might look twice at a Buell dual sport single. But what do I know?

Eric

#995792 - 08/31/17 07:09 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
Hank R1200RT Offline

Loc: Agoura Hills, CA
They need to release the LiveWire electric motorcycle.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >