Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#995834 - 08/31/17 07:15 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Lone_RT_rider]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Lone_RT_rider
Originally Posted By: BamaRider
So it's generally agreed HD has a problem with millennials?

Millennials have a problem with Millennials.

grin
I think the industry will have a problem with Millennials. I just don't see that generation riding bikes. It will be a mad scramble for the remaining market share.
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#995835 - 08/31/17 07:23 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Dennis Andress]
JohnH VA Offline

Loc: Inside The Beltway
Originally Posted By: Dennis Andress
... Maybe the market for new ones is just saturated.

The used Harley supply is enormous so Harley's up against its own bikes. There are so many low-mileage HDs out there it seems the original owners tired of them quickly or just didn't have time for cruising, or they turned out not to be the chick magnets they thought they'd be...?
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)

#995836 - 08/31/17 07:24 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: CommuterChris]
Dave_zoom_zoom Offline

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Originally Posted By: CommuterChris
Owned a R9T, perhaps bring back the R100RS fairing, something that provides protection just don't need the speakers/etc/etc

R100RS! YES, YES, and YES!!!!

I've owned 2 of them and would buy another that had the same old R100RS fairing with all the current engine, suspension improvements in a heartbeat. clap

Dave

#995839 - 08/31/17 07:31 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: greiffster]
Paul De Offline

Loc: Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: greiffster

grin
I think the industry will have a problem with Millennials. I just don't see that generation riding bikes. It will be a mad scramble for the remaining market share.

Maybe not. Do the environmental friendly angle. Has better mileage, less resources used to make, etc. Integrate Google glass into the helmet so they can maintain their connection addiction and voila your into that demographic wave

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326

#995840 - 08/31/17 07:35 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
This is one of the most difficult marketing problems I have ever encountered - a company which is handcuffed to the past by an orthodox customer base, and the last young customer walking into the showroom about 20 years ago. The last time we saw this was Cadillac circa 1969. And we all know what happened after that.

The latest reports say HD is killing off the V-Rod platform, too. After 17 years. So basically they're doubling down on the boomer-centric design that has a questionable appeal to anyone that's not deep into AARP territory. Time will tell, but it's not an easy problem, nor are there any easy solutions to it.

-MKL
1987 Yamaha YSR50
1973 BMW R75/5
"Lihiyot am chofshi b'artzeinu..."
https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe

#995841 - 08/31/17 07:44 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Paul De]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Paul De
Originally Posted By: greiffster

grin

Maybe not. Do the environmental friendly angle. Has better mileage, less resources used to make, etc. Integrate Google glass into the helmet so they can maintain their connection addiction and voila your into that demographic wave

Except that in most cases, convenience trumps environmentally friendly all day long.
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#995844 - 08/31/17 09:40 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: moshe_levy]
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer

Loc: Port Orchard, Washington
Originally Posted By: moshe_levy
This is one of the most difficult marketing problems I have ever encountered - a company which is handcuffed to the past by an orthodox customer base, and the last young customer walking into the showroom about 20 years ago. The last time we saw this was Cadillac circa 1969. And we all know what happened after that.

The latest reports say HD is killing off the V-Rod platform, too. After 17 years. So basically they're doubling down on the boomer-centric design that has a questionable appeal to anyone that's not deep into AARP territory. Time will tell, but it's not an easy problem, nor are there any easy solutions to it.

-MKL

Harley's strong suite is marketing, and style. Of all the manufactures I would expect them to be the first to successfully market something new and exciting to a younger generation. Maybe one younger than Millennials.

#995846 - 08/31/17 11:11 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
Happy Birthday Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
So who is gaining the market share HD is losing?

BMW sales, a drop in the market bucket, continue to increase year after year.

Would love to see some stats from 2016 on sales.

#995851 - 09/01/17 12:09 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: Bud]
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer

Loc: Port Orchard, Washington
BMW may yet find a market for this.

#995852 - 09/01/17 12:53 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: Bud]
CommuterChris Offline

Loc: Dallas, Georgia
Originally Posted By: Bud
So who is gaining the market share HD is losing?

BMW sales, a drop in the market bucket, continue to increase year after year.

Would love to see some stats from 2016 on sales.

going to have to say their loss is spread across many brands. To me their problem is similar to BMW's problem, their bikes are up in the high side for engine size. BMW has that cool looking G310R coming but they like Harley have little if anything under 10k. The electric scooter may attract some riders too and it is coming to the US now

For HD the Street brand isn't all that exciting, they really need to bring the styling from the new Softtails to the Street line. Indian, while I like the idea of another big twin competitor I don't trust their parent company.

The Japanese brands certainly cover the range quite well, they have sizes from 250/300 all the way to 1800+.

The real danger to HD isn't losing market share, its the losses from failed loans that pile up.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >