BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#995941 - 09/02/17 12:04 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: CommuterChris]
Green RT Offline

Loc: Guadalajara, México
I just don't see as much interest in any kind of vehicles in younger generations. When I was 16, everyone wanted to drive. I got a motorbike when I was 13 and a car when I was 15. I had the car before I could get a license to drive it. I spent a year working on it in the garage. Neither of my kids had that kind of interest in cars. My daughter doesn't even own a car although she had a Puch motorbike for awhile. And for my son a car is just a needed appliance like a toaster. My grandson didn't even get a driver's license until he was about 20 years old.

If motorcycle companies are really looking to the future they should probably branch out into other lines of business. Sad to say that, but that is what it looks like to me.

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

#995979 - 09/02/17 02:50 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Dennis Andress]
JamesW Offline

Loc: Florence, Oregon
Got to agree, every time I get behind an HD I get treated to the obnoxious racket as well as the stench of unburned hydrocarbons.

Maybe the future will also see fewer motor homes clogging the roads due to lack of interest by millennials, we can only hope.

#996368 - 09/08/17 02:43 AM Re: The Harley State [Re: JamesW]
Ponch Offline

Loc: Fountain Hills AZ
Originally Posted By: JamesW
Got to agree, every time I get behind an HD I get treated to the obnoxious racket as well as the stench of unburned hydrocarbons.

Maybe the future will also see fewer motor homes clogging the roads due to lack of interest by millennials, we can only hope.

They take a perfectly running stock bike and turn it into an asphyxiation device. They had a rally here during bike week from Arrowhead HD to Scottsdale with one of the SOA characters leading the charge. It was 10 miles long. I started in the back and got within a mile of the front...I thought I was going to pass out from the polluting exhaust. I have to wonder if those unburnt HC cause ring wear.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19

#996374 - 09/08/17 12:53 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Ponch]
Paul De Offline

Loc: Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Ponch
Originally Posted By: JamesW

They take a perfectly running stock bike and turn it into an asphyxiation device. They had a rally here during bike week from Arrowhead HD to Scottsdale with one of the SOA characters leading the charge. It was 10 miles long. I started in the back and got within a mile of the front...I thought I was going to pass out from the polluting exhaust. I have to wonder if those unburnt HC cause ring wear.

For sure loud exhaust and unburnt the hydrocarbons have me putting a lot of hawgs in my rear view mirror. The Milwaukee 8 motor may mitigate the dirty motor issue, because the older motors came through so anemic to meet sound & emmisions regs it was enevitable that Hawg riders were paying for mods to get the motor to perform well. The new motors deliver the expected performance as delivered. The loud bike thing is another question as this is more of a cruiser culture mind set.

One thing I"ll give kudos to millennials is they are on average more of a we instead of me culture and if they should get the Hawg bug they may not want to be obnoxiously loud when riding. I still think price is a big barrier. These folks came of age in a crap economy and those with a high income potential also have significant debt in front of them to pay off student loans and maybe buy a house... Toys are down the list and the new round of the latest mobile phone will have them cracking into that piggy bank before they get close to the down stroke needed to buy a high dollar motorcycle

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326

#996380 - 09/08/17 03:04 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: BamaRider]
Happy Birthday Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
I was talking with my son this morning about this issue. He pointed out that many younger people would rather car share than own one.

Like the recreational sailing industry, participants are aging out.

#996603 - 09/11/17 01:25 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Bud]
Lone_RT_rider Offline

Loc: Germantown, WI
Originally Posted By: Bud
I was talking with my son this morning about this issue. He pointed out that many younger people would rather car share than own one.

I think we finally have a generation that cares less about it's personal freedom than the previous one. That, is sad....

Shawn

#996617 - 09/11/17 03:25 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Bud]
TN_R11_Girl Offline
Triple Toll Twin 2

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Like the recreational sailing industry, participants are aging out.

I have a 21 year old nephew and an 18 year old niece ... neither of whom even bothered to get their drivers licenses. That would have been inconceivable to me as a kid!
'09 328iX (Bebe)
"Tact: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a manner that he anticipates the trip." Unknown

#996631 - 09/11/17 05:40 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Lone_RT_rider]
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer

Loc: Port Orchard, Washington
Originally Posted By: Lone_RT_rider

I think we finally have a generation that cares less about it's personal freedom than the previous one. That, is sad....

Shawn

Shawn, I think you hit nail on the head.

#996634 - 09/11/17 06:15 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: Dennis Andress]
JohnH VA Offline

Loc: Inside The Beltway
Originally Posted By: Dennis Andress

Shawn

Doesn't seem sad to me but admirably sensible -- owning and maintaining a car is their personal choice based on need, where they live and if/how they commute. Some don't particularly like driving and there's less peer pressure to own cool wheels compared to previous generations.

Some kids can't wait to drive; some kids don't care much. I don't think that defines or reflects a generational care about personal freedom.
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)

#996638 - 09/11/17 06:31 PM Re: The Harley State [Re: JohnH VA]
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer

Loc: Port Orchard, Washington
Originally Posted By: JohnH VA
Originally Posted By: Dennis Andress

Shawn

Doesn't seem sad to me but admirably sensible -- owning and maintaining a car is their personal choice based on need, where they live and if/how they commute. Some don't particularly like driving and there's less peer pressure to own cool wheels compared to previous generations.

Some kids can't wait to drive; some kids don't care much. I don't think that defines or reflects a generational care about personal freedom.

Not owning a car in an urban area is perfectly sensible.
Not caring about personal freedom is sad.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >