IGNORED

An "!" On my display ...

reglook

So I have had the bike ('06 R1200RT with 20k miles) about a month and yesterday towards the end of a ride of about 5-6 hrs ... i saw an "!" Appear on my dash display ...

I also saw that it looked like the temperature gauge showed a little high ... probably a little over half way up the gauge ... I got home, shut it off and went inside for 30 mins ... came back out and the temp gauge was lower, down less than 1/4 of the gauge and the "!" Was gone ...

First do you think the 2 are connected? If so, why would a short ride of that length cause the temp to rise like that?

So I have had the bike ('06 R1200RT with 20k miles) about a month and yesterday towards the end of a ride of about 5-6 hrs ... i saw an "!" Appear on my dash display ...

I also saw that it looked like the temperature gauge showed a little high ... probably a little over half way up the gauge ... I got home, shut it off and went inside for 30 mins ... came back out and the temp gauge was lower, down less than 1/4 of the gauge and the "!" Was gone ...

First do you think the 2 are connected? If so, why would a short ride of that length cause the temp to rise like that?

Morning reglook

Unfortunately that ("!") is just a general warning symbol.

There should have been another icon also showing on the dash The ("!" ) tells to that you have problem & the other icon usually tells you what it is that is causing the problem. (sometimes it is difficult to see the other icon in bright sunlight)

If it comes again pull over, or get to a shaded area, then see if you have another icon showing.

A little high on the temp gauge shouldn't have put the general warning on.

On my 07, that ("!") symbol is for oil level. Check your owner's manual for "Overview Of Warning Indicators Display". It's on page 26 in my 07 manual.

The few times I've had it though, my oil level was low(ish), but OK. It happens when I've just come out of a "high RPM" situation. I assume the sensor was not getting enough oil.

Ok ... thx

I didn't notice anything else on there ...

What color was the "!" ?

If yellow in a triangle then there is usually one of the below showing with the yellow triangle.

If a red "!" in a triangle it could be low oil pressure but that usually also shows an oil icon.

Low oil LEVEL is usually a showing at a stop & sitting still with engine running but the isn't in a triangle. If oil level is OK then it should show a check mark.

If it is the low oil level warning (& your oil level is OK) then there was a service bulletin on the early Hexhead bikes to install an updated oil level sensor with revised float to eliminate erroneous oil level warnings.

skscmM6.jpg

Good morning DR,

As mentioned in above Groanup post, the "!" shown in gray is simply a warning of low oil level. This is so on my prior '07 RT, and most likely the same for the OP's '06! It's in the manual. :)

Ok ... thx

I didn't notice anything else on there ...

The next time you see it see if it goes away when you come to a stop, and you are idling with the bike in the upright position. It will usually take about 5-10 sec. On my bike this situation will indicate that the oil level will be at about the 40% filled level in the little window. The bike is designed to check the oil after you fill up for gas.

as an update: it was simply a 1/2 quart low on oil. I added some last night and we were good on the ride to work this AM.

thanks everyone.

I appreciate all the technical help from this forum!

beemerman2k, you are a Michigander, eh! Were you there only for school or are you from there?

I grew up in a small town 1 hour north of Saginaw!

Lone_RT_rider
I grew up in a small town 1 hour north of Saginaw!

And I am from Saginaw (Township) originally, not that I admit that very often. lol. :)

Shawn

(CMU grad also)

I wouldn't admit it either :)

OHHH ... it says UofM Blue ... I miss read it and thought it said you went to UofM .. my apologies ...

Do you know a small town called Tawas? That is where I was born and raised.

When were you at CMU? I am a Ferris grad '87 - '92 (I was fortunate enough to SQUEEZE a 4 year degree into 5 years!!!

Lone_RT_rider
OHHH ... it says UofM Blue ... I miss read it and thought it said you went to UofM .. my apologies ...

Beemer2K went to U of M. I personally couldn't afford to buy a sandwich in Ann Arbor at that age, much less go to school there. :)

Do you know a small town called Tawas? That is where I was born and raised.

When were you at CMU? I am a Ferris grad '87 - '92 (I was fortunate enough to SQUEEZE a 4 year degree into 5 years!!!

I definitely know Tawas and AuGres as well. My favorite place when heading up 23 was Lutz's bakery. Best damned apple fritters I have ever had. :)

I was at CMU from 88-92. I missed the last end of the world party by 1 semester, but I did manage to attend a Mayfest. It helped that my girlfriend was one of the organizers. :)

But .....I digress.

/hi-jack

Shawn

thats funny. Lutz's bakery, baby! Shawn, were you involved with a fraternity at Central? I was a lambda chi and knew a lot of the lambda chi's and the delta zeta's on your campus.

So I guess it's a general purpose warning. Mine displayed tonight to tell me my tire pressures were low. Strange, 32 rear, 36 front, yet the display was flashing the "36" and not the "32". Strange. Put 40psi in front and rear, computer is happy, hope the numbers are correct.

• 2 weeks later...