IGNORED

Electronic Tone Issue

Deltamark

Recently had my 2013 R1200RT into the dealer for a 24K and annual service. When I got it back, I noticed a constant 1Khz electronic tone coming from the dashboard area, probably through the speakers. See this short YouTube clip:

At first I thought it was some type of fault from a bad stereo channel, but I'm now pretty sure its the same tone that can be heard when you turn the bike on. See here:

Any ideas on how to alleviate this? It's driving me crazy! : )

Go to your radio settings and adjust the fader to 0 for the front speakers. Then play with the volume. If you have utilized the rear speaker function for helmet speakers see if the tone is there as well.

I turned the speaker off and verified that the radio cannot be heard even when trying to turn up the volume, but still hear the tone when the bike is running. I turned the bike off, waited a few seconds, then turned the power on with the key and do hear the initial startup tone. It appears that tone is not affected by the stereo controls. Have not utilized rear speaker function. Didn't think there was a rear speaker.

Go to your radio settings and adjust the fader to 0 for the front speakers. Then play with the volume. If you have utilized the rear speaker function for helmet speakers see if the tone is there as well.

Communicated with a service guy at the dealer today and he mentioned that it could be related to the ABS sensor. Wondering if there's a simple reset for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly certain that the sound I hear while the bike is running is the same tone that the fuel pump makes when turning on the key. Took it into the dealer. They put the bike on the computer and said everything checks out.

Just went on a 1,300 mile + trip and constantly heard tone while at idle or low speeds. Still very annoying. Wondering if replacing the fuel pump would resolve it.

• 9 months later...

Restarting this thread to see if by chance anyone else has experienced this issue? I still hear this electronic noise constantly and it gets pretty annoying. I am pretty sure the tone I'm hearing is generated by the fuel pump because it's the same sound as when I turn the key on. I was doing some reading and saw suggestions that the fuel filter might be dirty or clogged. I called my dealer and they told me that my bike doesn't have a fuel filter. Anyone know if that is correct, because I saw this on a parts list:

4MdYt7d.png

Or, any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

Restarting this thread to see if by chance anyone else has experienced this issue? I still hear this electronic noise constantly and it gets pretty annoying. I am pretty sure the tone I'm hearing is generated by the fuel pump because it's the same sound as when I turn the key on. I was doing some reading and saw suggestions that the fuel filter might be dirty or clogged. I called my dealer and they told me that my bike doesn't have a fuel filter. Anyone know if that is correct, because I saw this on a parts list:

Or, any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

Afternoon Deltamark

Your dealer is partially right & partially wrong. --Your bike doesn't have a REPLACABLE fuel filter (it's filter is permanently built into the fuel pump assembly). It also has a strainer on the end of the pump pick-up.

That picture you show is the emission control evap canister & has nothing to do with the fuel going to the fuel injectors.

If your filtration is plugged to the point of the pump being excessively noisy then your top speed & passing power would be severely limited.

The BMW fuel pumps do make a somewhat annoying whirring noise.

Afternoon Deltamark

Your dealer is partially right & partially wrong. --Your bike doesn't have a REPLACABLE fuel filter (it's filter is permanently built into the fuel pump assembly). It also has a strainer on the end of the pump pick-up.

That picture you show is the emission control evap canister & has nothing to do with the fuel going to the fuel injectors.

If your filtration is plugged to the point of the pump being excessively noisy then your top speed & passing power would be severely limited.

The BMW fuel pumps do make a somewhat annoying whirring noise.

Ahh, thanks Dirtrider. I did wonder about the pic of the part I posted afterward. Thanks for clearing that up!

The bike's power doesn't seem to be limited in any way. Not sure I'd describe it as a whirring noise, though. It's more of a constant electronic tone. Perhaps I'll need to consider better earplugs. ; )