IGNORED

New Helmets

rickmoen

Getting about time to replace my 5+ year old NeoTec. I've been thinking about the new Schuberths - the E1 or C4. Has anyone gotten one of these? What do you think of them? Also wondering about the comm systems that can bought for these helmets. I'm told the E1 is a re-worked C3 Pro, but the C4 is a new design. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The main thing is whether or not it fits. I've got a long-oval head, and the NeoTec fits me. Schuberths don't. They, like most helmets, give me a pressure point on my forehead that quickly results in a headache. The NeoTec is the only modular I've found that fits me. Your head may differ, of course.

The main thing is whether or not it fits. I've got a long-oval head, and the NeoTec fits me. Schuberths don't. They, like most helmets, give me a pressure point on my forehead that quickly results in a headache. The NeoTec is the only modular I've found that fits me. Your head may differ, of course.

My C3 did the same thing when I first got it, had the Schuberth Dot on my forehead after a ride and a caffeine deficient feeling headache. I changed the crown and haven't had a problem since,....that's going on over six years.

Likewise. And I have a problem with the prices Arai, Schuberth and Shoei want for their lids. I ended up with an LS2 Strobe for the street and an Arrow for the track.

Likewise. And I have a problem with the prices Arai, Schuberth and Shoei want for their lids. I ended up with an LS2 Strobe for the street and an Arrow for the track.

Because of your post, I took a look and ordered one from Amazon today. :thumbsup: We will see how well it works out.

It will be interesting to hear Bud's feedback. I used a Bell helmet when auto racing and liked it, so I bought a Bell Revolver Evo earlier this year. There's nothing I can do to get it to fit right (I bought different size pads and then modified them - still no go), and it's exceptionally loud. I'd keep working on the fit if it wasn't so loud.

I also had my eye on the C3. The other budget friendly quality helmet I read up on was the Caberg Duke.

If I had to do it again I'd get a NeoTec or an RF1200. For now, I've gone back to my older Shoei. I'm completely gun shy about buying another helmet after the wind noise issue.

Because of your post, I took a look and ordered one from Amazon today. :thumbsup: We will see how well it works out.

I'll be curious to see what you think. The strobe has been my commuter lid for the last 3 weeks, and still going strong.

My C3 did the same thing when I first got it, had the Schuberth Dot on my forehead after a ride and a caffeine deficient feeling headache. I changed the crown and haven't had a problem since,....that's going on over six years.

Nobody at the dealerships where I've tried on Schuberth helmets was apparently aware of this "changed the crown" fitting option. I'm not completely sure I understand what it means myself.

I think the "crown" referred to is the upper liner. I think the redesigned liner from the C3 Pro will fit, as well as the one from the S2 full face helmet. Verify before purchase.

The C3 liner made me look like Klingon after an hour or so. No problems with my C3 Pro.

I think the "crown" referred to is the upper liner. I think the redesigned liner from the C3 Pro will fit, as well as the one from the S2 full face helmet. Verify before purchase.

The C3 liner made me look like Klingon after an hour or so. No problems with my C3 Pro.

Yep, used a S2 liner and fits perfectly, no more marks of schuberth.

Read the reviews

Edited by Living the Dream

I'll be curious to see what you think. The strobe has been my commuter lid for the last 3 weeks, and still going strong.

Based on the size chart, I ordered an XXL but it came today and is too small, re-ordered an XXXL. Amazon exchange at no charge.

Based on the size chart, I ordered an XXL but it came today and is too small, re-ordered an XXXL. Amazon exchange at no charge.

Yup, I'm a Large for my track helmet, and and XL for the street. The review on Revzilla seemed pretty spot-on for sizing. I was also able to try them on at Bob's Cycle Supply, and they were competitive on the price as well.

I want to point out that I compress the hard Styrofoam on the inside. I wear glasses and had a really hard time getting getting them into the helmet, so I used a spoon and compresses a channel on both sides. Worked great. Next I was getting a burning on top of my head, so I took my metal water bottle and compressed that area too. So you have the ability to fine tune the fit.

It will be interesting to hear Bud's feedback. I used a Bell helmet when auto racing and liked it, so I bought a Bell Revolver Evo earlier this year. There's nothing I can do to get it to fit right (I bought different size pads and then modified them - still no go), and it's exceptionally loud. I'd keep working on the fit if it wasn't so loud.

I also had my eye on the C3. The other budget friendly quality helmet I read up on was the Caberg Duke.

If I had to do it again I'd get a NeoTec or an RF1200. For now, I've gone back to my older Shoei. I'm completely gun shy about buying another helmet after the wind noise issue.

OK. These helmets run smaller than their chart would indicate, based on my experience. I bought one from amazon and when it was too small (XXL) the replaced it with a XXXL at no charge and air freighted the replacement to me.

I took it for a test spin today on the F 650 GS. Was pleasantly surprised at the low noise level. Certainly not louder that the CMaX I currently have or the previous Nolan.

Like all new helmets, it's snug. But that will change as I ride more. Only thing is the pin lock fog shield is not included.

The sun screen goes up and down easily. The face shield has definite positions that hold in the wind. When you move the chin bar all the way up the shield then locks in the down position. The ratchet chin strap is as good as Nolans.

All in all I'm a happy camper. Now have hi viz solid and modular helmets.

I received my back-ordered Schuberth C4 this week. My C3 was getting worn out after 6 years and 50,000 miles of sweat. The C4 is definitely an improvement over the C3. The C4's cheek pads feel a little tighter than the C3's (both helmets XL). Hopefully it just needs to be broken in a bit more. I also ordered the SC1 Advanced communication but it has not arrived yet. I highly recommend the C4 but if you have somewhat chubby cheeks like me you might not want to mail order one without trying it on first.

Francois_Dumas

As with ANY helmet you buy..... TRY IT FIRST ! Most important is the fit. Next..... the noise level.

I loved my Schuberth C3, but find the price excessive. Had Nolan before, but 5 years ago the new Nolans didn't fit..... so I changed brand.

The new Nolans NOW fit again, and their noise levels are good (Schuberth is quieter). The Nolan com system is wonderful.

I looked for years for a helmet that would fit my long oval head. I tried many makes and models including an Arai. The only helmet I had that I could wear for long rides was a HJC half helmet, and it really didn't fit well, it was loose on the sides.When I saw Bell was making the "CUSTOM FIT", I knew I had to get one. I got my head laser scanned at a dealer, and two weeks later had a helmet that fit PERFECTLY !!!!

It fit like they made it for me, yep. they did. This is pricey, but, not much more than an expensive helmet that doesn't fit.It is the most expensive and the cheapest helmet I could get that fits my head.

It also came with a transitional visor which I love, no more sunglasses, and a nice helmet bag.