IGNORED

Start Button Kill Switch

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

For the second time, nothing would happen when I pushed the start switch on my 2012 1200RT. It happened a month ago as well. I thought maybe it was the sidestand switch but that is fine. Finally, I gave if a palm nudge and it worked the rest of the day. It does make me nervous however. I'm wondering if soaking it in contact cleaner might help. Has anyone had this right side switch fail on them? Anyone fix one? Is changing it a big deal for a fairly skilled wrench?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bob

Good Evening,

For the second time, nothing would happen when I pushed the start switch on my 2012 1200RT. It happened a month ago as well. I thought maybe it was the sidestand switch but that is fine. Finally, I gave if a palm nudge and it worked the rest of the day. It does make me nervous however. I'm wondering if soaking it in contact cleaner might help. Has anyone had this right side switch fail on them? Anyone fix one? Is changing it a big deal for a fairly skilled wrench?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bob

Morning Bob

Kind of a known problem. Do not soak in contact cleaner as most of the switch contacts are foil type switches.

Talk to your local BMW dealer, only one left in your area at the moment (BMWSEM). -- There is a BMW good-will (warranty) replacement on most of those failed switches, even on older bikes.

Until then, if your switch fails while out on the road (like after stopping somewhere) you might try dumping a very cold bottle of water on the switch pod (that usually helps, short term anyhow)

Good morning and thanks for your feedback DR. What do you think the cold water does? I would think that cold contracts and hot expands. Just curious what is happening when the switch is not working and why a fist rap to it allows it to work. Just my nature to explore these wonders of the universe.

What a beautiful day for a ride.

B

Good morning and thanks for your feedback DR. What do you think the cold water does? I would think that cold contracts and hot expands. Just curious what is happening when the switch is not working and why a fist rap to it allows it to work. Just my nature to explore these wonders of the universe.

What a beautiful day for a ride.

B

Afternoon Bob

I can't see inside the switch so just a guess-- I do believe that the cold water shrinks the housing in the contact area therefore forcing the contacts either closer together, or possibly to align better.

I've not actually seen one of these switches, much less taken one apart for examination, but...

My understanding is that BMW used a method of "printing" circuit traces on a backing to create the switches. The thermal expansion rates of the backing material and current carrying trace were not a good match, leading to a broken trace when the backing material expands. Cooling can bring the material back together, at least temporarily, sometimes.

Whatever the reason, the cure is to have the dealer replace the switches.

My 2012 RT did something close to what you are describing.

Both switch-gear sides were very erratic. Sitting in the sun made them worse. Before I replaced them, I would cover them with my gloves when we stopped for breaks on road trips.

If you have not done so already, talk to your BMW dealership and have them install new switch-gear, right and left sides.

When I went in they knew about this problem & replaced both sides n/c with out much hassle. This was last summer.

Other fellow camhead owners I ride with did the same.

Edited by RSH

I recently checked my 11 RT on BMW's web site for recalls and learned of the fuel pump flange recall. That was the only recall listed.

When I was making the appointment with the dealer, they told me they were going to replace the handlebar controls as well.

Call your dealer.

Went through both the left and right side switches more than once on my 2011RT. They are under a campaign and covered by BMW. Think they finally got it right, no issues after a replacement in 2015.

Hi All,

I received a message from my dealer that "my vin shows an open campaign on Multifunction switches." That sounds promising. Expecting a call or email from the service manager next. I'll keep you informed.

Take care,

B

Good Evening,

A great ending. I have an appointment to have both switches changed at no cost, even though the warranty has expired. There were enough switch failures that BMW is using a different manufacturer that has figured out how to make the switches reliable.

A big hats of to BMW of Grand Rapids. I have been dealing with them for over a decade with very good success. Fine people who have worked really hard to solve any problems that I have had with the four BMW's I've purchased from them.

B

• 2 weeks later...

All good news.

But, we used to run the VIN on each bike in for service.

That way, owner and dealership aware of any and all open recall work.

Surprised the dealership hadn't told you before when bike serviced.

Good Morning,

I bought the bike from someone in Indiana and have not had it in for service so they never had an opportunity to scan for "campaigns." Not sure why it was not flagged previously.

Switches installed. Biggest difference is the high beam switch. It was really hard to use on the old switch, now it just slides nice and easy. All else works just fine.

Ride safe.

Bob