IGNORED

New Member & New Bike Purchase

skyking1

Hi Folks,

I have been looking around the forum the past couple of months and decided to go ahead and jump in.

I have not been on a bike the past few years, had to get kids grown and thru school.

My last bike was an HD Road King. I screwed up a couple of months ago and hopped on a friends R1200RT....Now I have to buy one. LOVED IT!

I would like to buy new...I don't know enough about used ones, and I like the idea of warranty.

I guess my question is.... Do I try and negotiate on a 2017 or just wait on the 2018? Dealer does not act like he wants to move any on price.

I have not tried to negotiate....yet. Trying to get my home work done first.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for having me.

Skyking1

Skyking, I can't help with you question but WELCOME. You will get lots of information here. Looks like I should have an aircraft avatar for this.

Edited by ltljohn

It has been 10+ years since I made my last bike purchase (new).

I'm sitting on the fence just a little....if I could get a deal/discount on a 2017 I would buy...if not I may hold out for the 2018.

Welcome - From what I've read, the only difference between '17 and '18 RT is color choice and some chrome and bling. I'd go for a '17 and if your closest dealer won't deal then tell them thanks anyway you'll head for another dealer. Even a fly/ride deal out of state may be worthwhile (since you're a flyer)? Some big east coast dealers have 20+ '17 RTs in stock and they'll deal I'm sure.

I purchased a 2016 in Feb. It was a left over because the 2017 had been out for a while. They took $3k off the price plus 15% off accessories which added up to over $3,000. There has been a lot of talk about the noisy transmission in the 2016, and a big improvement in the 2017. Mine does make a lot of racket, but it doesn't bother me. I read that the gearbox is an old, noisy, but very reliable design. After I read that, and since I'm old school anyway, the tranny doesn't bother me. I got a fully loaded bike, and I don't regret it. I've been using the clutchless shifting a lot. I use the hill hold feature, its nice. I like the ride modes pro. You will love your new bike!

TEWKS

That was a great deal...I would just like to get close to that kind of deal. I'm not in a great big hurry and I can wait it out a while...But the riding bug is back.

Sky:

First, welcome to the gang. To echo what others have said, the wealth of info on this site is AMAZING! Not sure where in SC you are located, but Eurosport Asheville tends to deal on their older models and they are phenomenal dealership to work with. If it was me personally, I would wait and grab one of those red on black 2018 RT's. I just love that color scheme, but outside of that, not sure if it worth the extra $$$. On the used side of the house, anything within the BMW warranty period should still be covered by factory warranty. You can also purchase an aftermarket warranty if you so desire as well. Most dealers I know offer them, sometimes you need to ask. Again, welcome to the forum, absorb as much as possible and good luck on the bike purchase.

Mike

Welcome! If me I would buy a 2017 as the new models come in. I have purchased both my current BMW's that way and saved a good deal off list. So long as they are no changes to the new model year that you must have or a color you must have in the new year you can do well buying end of season.

Good luck!

Just saw you are in S.C. ... not sure where you are but I know Touring Sport has some inventory I would think they want to move. And Motorcycles of Charlotte is a fair and very good dealer.

Edited by RTinNC

Welcome to the family!

Lots of good advice in prior posts. I have no suggestions as I've never bought a new one.

But I've bought a lot of used ones that are IMO a great value.

Good luck with the search and post a pic when you decide on one.

In general, Welcome Back to riding, skyking1. More Welcome to BMWST!

I agree with Marty ... if you're going new, the deals would be on the previous year models on the floor. Listen to Marty ... he's bough a bike or two over the course of a couple years ... perhaps more. ;)

Yes the info on this site is nothing short of amazing, but the people rock! When you get a chance tell us a bit more about yourself.

If you buy soon and care to meet up with some folks on the board, check out this event:

FART 2017 - Blairsville GA

Whatever you do, enjoy your purchase!

Cheers!

Welcome.

Check inventories at dealerships.

Find bike you want.

Ask all who will for their Out the Door price.

If they won't give you that, walk.

Tax has to be paid according to your home state.

Either when you register bike or at time of purchase so it isn't a variable.

Out the door, period.

Then, decide quickly.

You'll save money on a holdover at purchase.

But, on resale/trade some of that will change again. (Buy '17 keep 2 years, decide to trade and you'll get less than same deal trading the '18).

So shop around, ask for discounts on accessories/gear.

We did a 10% discount for as long as you owned the bike.

Ask about 600 miles service costs/discounts.

Ask about anything that might seal the deal.

Example, free tire mounting if you buy the tires from them.

In the end, if you are happy. it doesn't matter.

Enjoy the new ride.

I just checked on Cycle Trader and just listed there are over 50 new 2017 RT's within 400 miles of Charlotte. So find the bike you want in the color and with the features and then work your best deal. They will be willing to negotiate this time of year. But like Tallman said .... work the best deal for YOU that you are happy with and then enjoy

TEWKS

That was a great deal...I would just like to get close to that kind of deal. I'm not in a great big hurry and I can wait it out a while...But the riding bug is back.

Welcome! Don't ignore negotiating with dealers outside of your area! You are in SC, and there are several dealership up and down the coast, which make getting the best deals with any of those dealers, then fly and ride back a very practical option!

A lot of great advice, THANKS.

The negotiating game is on!

I will keep you posted...

Just a little distracted watching Irma out at sea.

Got friends & family at the SC coast.

NEGOTIATING IS OVER!

New Proud owner of 2017 1200RT!

Many Thanks for the great advice. They will negotiate!

Now to buy all the do/dads to go with it....this will be a small fortune. ...Heck a large fortune.

I pick it up next week, and will try to figure out how to post picture.

NEGOTIATING IS OVER!

Now to buy all the do/dads to go with it....this will be a small fortune. ...Heck a large fortune.

Welcome to BMWST and congratulations on your new RT joymaker.

Lots of great farkles out there from both OEM and third party. Saddles and alternate windshields are tops on many lists. Maybe not the plethora you were used to with your Road King but certainly not lacking for a model with decades of longevity.

Had to laugh about your comment that the purchase of the bike was just the beginning. My oldest friend is a diehard Hawg rider right down to the motor company tattoo and has always claimed HD stood for Hundred Dollars as nothing for his bike cost less than that. I surmised if that is true, then BMW actually stands for Big Money Wad as that is what you need when buying stuff for RT!

Congrats! I just bought a used 2015 and have been enjoying it after crossing over from a cruiser platform. I'm trying to minimize the amount of add on stuff, but of course that is the hard part....

Congratulation I just bought a used 2016 last week (upgraded from a much loved '04) i'm starting small with a front fender extender and then engine bars. My butt is going to have to tough it out for a while with regards to the seat.

Speaking of seats. I hated my stock seat, I know hate is a strong word! I tried the blow up adapter, Wild Ass I think, and it helped. I made a ride in appointment for a Russell Day Long seat. Arrive at 8 and they photo me on the bike, ask weight, height, and inseam. They use my stock seat pan, and build a seat from that. Show up at 11 for a test fit. I'm a little concerned, the seat has wings that are below my butt on my legs. Chris, the seat maker assures me that is part of the design. I put trust in him, Russell has a great reputation. Pick up the finished seat at 1:30, and ride 200 miles to Oroville in more comfort than I have ever had. Totally happy.

NEGOTIATING IS OVER!

Congratulations! Forget about the picture and just show up at FART '17! A lot of us will get to see your new bike and we will take pictures and post them for you! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the advice, Made the purchase over a week ago.

Got out today to put some break-in miles on her. Nice 350 mile day. Lunch at top of Mt Mitchell off the Parkway.

6739.jpg.ec18bf150c7915d66d2e5ae64e6f96a5.jpg