IGNORED

Glowing red exhaust on 02 1150rt

gmarktbone

So, I've never noticed this before but when I cranked the bike tonight after dark, the exhaust pipes were glowing red. They stayed that way while the bike idled on high. When I took the choke (or whatever that thing is called) off, the pipes didn't glow as much. I took a ride and had my son follow me so he could see if it was still doing this at speed. He said that he thought it was still a little red, but not as bad as when it was idling. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

So, I've never noticed this before but when I cranked the bike tonight after dark, the exhaust pipes were glowing red. They stayed that way while the bike idled on high. When I took the choke (or whatever that thing is called) off, the pipes didn't glow as much. I took a ride and had my son follow me so he could see if it was still doing this at speed. He said that he thought it was still a little red, but not as bad as when it was idling. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Morning Mark

Your BMW boxer has single wall exhaust pipes so they turn red easily.

Do not idle your bike on fast idle after starting, just start it, then slowly ride off. Those glowing red pipes will burn/blister the plastic Tupperware just above the pipes.

They probably won't glow red while actually riding at speed but will start glowing again as you come to a stop or ride slowly.

Gmarktbone,

I installed an AF-XiED by NightRider on my '99 R1100S about a year ago after reading a lot on this and other forums about it. My biggest concern was the extreme cond-natured symptoms (poor cold idling, stoplight stalling, very balky at low speed/RPM, poor roll-on power, etc) the bike was having. I understand the R1100S has much more in common with the R1150 than other R1100 engines so this may apply to your bike as well.

It was the single biggest and best improvement I've made to the bike, and I've made several. It made such a big improvement that I have since purchased two more for two additional beemers ('99 R11RT and K12RS) before I even picked up the bikes. One of the side benefits is that it makes the engines run cooler, too.

EPA emissions requirements at the time required these bikes to run extremely lean, on the ragged edge of drivability. This unit "fools" the Motronic into enrichening the air/fuel mix slightly and lets the engine run like it's supposed to run.

It's a very simple DIY install between the O2 sensor and the wiring to the bike (Motronic). Plug and play.

AF-XiED for R1150RT

Thanks for the information. I know that I'm still learning this bike after owning it for ten years, but I've always used the fast idle switch when I first start it, and I keep it on until I get 5 bars on the temp gauge. Should I not be doing that? Sometimes, I have a hard time keeping the bike going after starting if I forget to put it on fast idle, or choke, or enrichener or whatever that lever is (I've had no fewer than 5 mc shops try to explain it...).

Hello Lowndes,

I must say that I've never heard of this thing, but I'm intrigued. I just thought those throttle characteristics were part of the "character" of the bike. Any other information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It's called various things, but all it does is open your throttle a little bit. You could do the exact same thing by turning the throttle slightly.

that being said, I think almost everyone agrees that you want to just start the bike and go. There's no need to warm it up, although I do take it a little easy for the first mile or so.

Don't ever start it and leave it to run, especially on fast idle. At least one guy has burned his garage down doing that. The bike got so hot that the site glass melted. The hot oil caught on fire.

I've always used the fast idle switch when I first start it, and I keep it on until I get 5 bars on the temp gauge. Should I not be doing that? Sometimes, I have a hard time keeping the bike going after starting if I forget to put it on fast idle, or choke, or enrichener or whatever that lever is (I've had no fewer than 5 mc shops try to explain it...).

Morning gmarktbone

BMW labels the little lever a choke, it's real usage is JUST a FAST IDLE lever.

You should never warm an AIR COOLED BMW boxer in place until 5 bars. The actual recommendation is to just start the engine, allow to stabilize, then slowly ride off & allow it to warm up while moving.

The BMW 1100/1150 boxer is air cooled (even the oil cooling part needs air flow to work properly) so with no air flowing over it you get hot spots, glowing red exhaust pipes, etc.

You can warm it in place for a very short time (maybe 20-30 seconds) but no longer than needed to allow it to stay running if you stop.

You can ride it away with the choke on if you need to so it stays running when you stop. (it is ONLY A FAST IDLE) so no harm in riding with the choke on until it will idle on it's own at a stop.

Hello Lowndes,

I must say that I've never heard of this thing, but I'm intrigued. I just thought those throttle characteristics were part of the "character" of the bike. Any other information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gmarktbone,

Yes, the cold natured-ness of these bikes is part of the "character", I call it "character flaw". But the good news is that it can easily be corrected with the AF-XiED.

Read more about it here: Nightrider.com

You can do a SEARCH on this and other forums for it. There is another unit (Power Commander) that does about the same thing but does not have some of the features and adjustability as the AF-XiED, as I understand it. The AF-XiED is adjustable with a very small dial to let you fine tune it to your bike if necessary. It also has LED's to indicate what is going on. It comes with 10 pages of install instructions, adjustment instructions, graphs, charts, diagrams, explanations, and legalese, but I never read any of that stuff. I just plugged it in and rode off. I was going to read it but I was having too much fun - it was like a new bike - and I forgot to. (it comes pre-set to #7 which is what most bikes like best, I heard)

One of the gurus here, Roger 04 RT, I believe, worked on the development and testing for Nightrider, and knows much about it. You might search his name here, too.

dc4T6OmhY6wX69HHZ65oRW8Z-CYeY8Izl9ZLy1Ybqvt-brYhYY_rTE93KTb6bYtSeRVQJxTmI-mXBEseCkLy1hW0qBStnQCvVbQzJtPqPJqMzSnv3GE6M-Cv5LeGVgRRc8VKR8wX3Fj3RRTdEnw7ffnEfS3_PbHGlPVJl79iWdUuGLSZyBrpk0O9U62j1Bv0Kh0iPin53mCdumahbocx5tT7no1UbPft6Fy2O6Re7craoSHVLHzy6rGuQy1Eb6HES9BPihh_EcTAPX1_9fqa8LdzeHOEv6jQfOHDSz4ArvL25GAJxPrXv2msBDOyNp9x6jsak8WvCxQUurFou4HTExz4drFq8FXRBF2_xbH_5_bdQB3EmNSSYHKElmA5Serf8RqHn7gZqyl111HYT8Vbv2KZaSkhkx0ZPxM6L_VBZwXbk4tLP27Y4T4SPxcNLLj9c6EchlSL9_lwynxQBJVuWbIqq0Cc1694SpCAvHnNgxs5zYgrrnf0yJU6r-KDeOp4zzVzEVPTvuEzVxflgrHIyl3En1Ys_IJQGOk0Il2lm_6zhTILy15YiLlEaKEWkmQQ_Ii6n0KbyIiOkqVbiREFpGeVnlQGJjRlMOjhcC2YM0dE7E71uP5kTBSit8alsbDShopr2ca4pYECAUyvM9lE4GT94wpDz20hOISoJiQz9KgY8GI=w794-h595-no?.jpg

bzUAQpxqXeze8LYotT1v-j-nWF3V0PY2vX3DjWu5vKYmZfkG2N71eLuhdRI3_GlnBJ7RuiwKRNko5ipWC8kVGMw3FsRLlPxYfCj3yTvqObWFbiv5jUVMuhExdfX5jxoGmPCdWZu3EjAo1eQYJZuclcimcvCzky_BQKbHLqAxs5tQ-yfeqRniZ0EN6WJXIshWxEarCiBip73yaA9eCMT0n320bm6LpvThl65R4gzwcQNKHj6CNXLXtPhJubfBmfMEIo8jTrO_5ezPs8IKfID5qBP6gR3lNjX1Sa0dVuzrTEQsx6w827h7XVu-Ywc2C9si09uwpkciBpzB8RlLHgZAKDdtwcqZbRo_yCBKKTzlF4jVvYRmFFVSi3y3vP-4yCQuWlVS7gx0U5sZJx7WREVuGW2FUlhpLbryQU9sSPrZ2o0E5Ies_qUIKvDx8aGoq2Mho-_GrsJP1R84F1frJy1plK_4LiJu8gFUfkHSXjLecBq5oncoHTq423UXuOZtiXweViTmtnibHJhDxTdCCgkjFB2EdGPnb8HMl6gALWVzPYI991aZRBsvPTZnRkulyL_N3Mdtptu_CUYBqAiVbeOSPiP4pp-pY6SI_qZBQ0Ga6VUT55sJ9fZwLqtEZM_eHyeOuiA1J0ps6c7ZIEwylGcBnlgoD-9lDHSjcHyKZlbm2Gk32FM=w794-h595-no?.jpg

J5HWJCbqs_0wYqDUKaFU5FXQvpR7OUUYS7eBSaUtHoLb7qJJyLPzARfMncDqokTNVsv-4ge8AGjKGbnmif3q4Z4DzTM9NB8-ihchQGxExlcfugLx_lh_uFiIpKc3mjfqpQSJHU6kELy9EmwcHVzF5Tfy-Y7yJ-vAvSGD4lSOavv-Sm7GhyfFShTiFMpxLK9_hOnYrJQX6rF9Xdo9lOFXjbKgrzqbkBKijR0g0hXsGuKc9kuKJx1rH82i_-uDJ2mm2xj8oz6M02qfZ2FLCSm_K4Kn-Ysstmk-y7zyh5uvaz8boHbAaoD0UlLDyiSnD3FhM5vVFo94LEDxu4mz8iFHjDpm0EkDhxWHhXMe2vMyyvVqNoHOlxjll3vVlJXYfOtt--PDURimlxwTpWz4CwsldfXcA17WZ3daYEFIUHVgVZuR0Ia3qv8cKrkyIlme8bhS2iFyzBLurPjgHn_Ua9eH0R30sBOFvM5yuVbPWj-LmeR3jX8zj4et1w7_xfzfTXXagFG4KSsXQSz9A_QN_oIyyarMRlIGlIKKmwXpmzInREzotSB8AE2_WHQJpRA49YTJl4VMbjlru0upWIgOnvBXuRC5Ldbrqw74TuiKiLdr8likSObQZQ_1WlPQtL3MYKyZIgPsOIwn9Xop_p-ICHJMG_7apvrNOGi2BR8ce1kkOcptDOk=w794-h595-no?.jpg

nQGz_VcAt0sX5yFoInTJCm2pWvCccADAnUkUFQhUyw8zfeNKoA0iuLG3hauAjbPqxdVGuuewRq8Kw8QYJJVpUo47fW0jd76a0EiPaZYTmHrpEFW9XEpEaB3PUmXnkQCrTbFiVF-x2-KSF3kNVBkai8rYCo7y5js1hL0CAXJifwy5NIiT4wo-IKx61HTUBUUwEnHbXeCuM1A9V0OTPFtGDUmOI_8aq3TcGRyjv2kzQoWrnAgsrNbxY938D_rb6IyTytZ7Qjvnmmzl16CALYyP3tR8Qh9Ek9QaXagkxoNkVwNSwwJ_M06LzuDzElotYtS13vfevLSfWVxgcTcoHYNslJYOzIMw720lgFis-OYpaDLaJ3REZ2A3Rw9m9LezybNkZG0JurhTx3OjIQEc3Y4bj2S50wIsONEfjt71ftj1r9QSeiy4qirj_-9lfraXzbW3zlM3wKwifwQFhjpc-7gImB-MyNWKnKEs-CRp59wdh1cQXp8dTO02eb0U7g7pUTCWTafrbcdbqn5OIGZLeFrQ5XaIVH0c1miIf45YBbJXYcuCEVwMqNWJJvV6qnjaYgvL02fCFZ68lT6g17TwzHd2aqBJQzl9EEM2bmK3QK7SpBHVtO8YIybKGokS6QNSFu62cOsr64HCwDlxLEPubNqCNYhAL8bv1YmN6kLKv8vUU9rMeSs=w794-h595-no?.jpg

Edited by Lowndes

Thanks to everyone. This has all been interesting. I normally don't just let the bike idle, but I hadn't cranked it in a couple of weeks and was just letting it run a bit when my son noticed the pipes. I will keep this stuff in mind as I go forth. I plan to research the AF-XiED device to see if that is something I want to acquire. I have heard of the power commander before, but I never really thought it was something I needed. At the time, it sounded like a solution in search of a problem, but if something like this will help correct surging and help with roll on power, I may be interested. Thanks for the leads.