Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#996254 - 09/06/17 02:57 PM Help - High Frequency Vibration  
MontanaBud Offline
MontanaBud  Offline

2004 R1150RT @ 120k mi. (all mine).

Please help. I've recently developed a high frequency vibration at highway speeds, felt primarily in the handle bars, but it seems engine related (note: this is NOT the usual boxer buzziness).

I've checked the valve clearances, and spark plug gaps (replaced with new 6k mi ago). The problem become apparent after the engine is fully heated. The declutch method at highway speed eliminates the vibration.

I've swapped the fairly new (also 6k mi ago) Beru coils for an old set, but no difference noted. The air filter is fairly new, and clean.

The problem appeared after I installed a new set of tires, but I've rebalanced them, and even replaced the front tire with the old one, and no difference noted. So the timing of this development with the tire change seems coincidental.

Is it possible one of the injectors is clogged, causing fueling imbalance? I'd recently run Techron through several tanks of fuel for a different reason and also to keep the fuel system clean, so a clogged injector seems unlikely (unless it's a mechanical failure of an injector?).

Any suggestion on what is causing the vibration will be greatly appreciated!

#996256 - 09/06/17 03:02 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: MontanaBud]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: MontanaBud
2004 R1150RT @ 120k mi. (all mine).

Please help. I've recently developed a high frequency vibration at highway speeds, felt primarily in the handle bars, but it seems engine related (note: this is NOT the usual boxer buzziness).

I've checked the valve clearances, and spark plug gaps (replaced with new 6k mi ago). The problem become apparent after the engine is fully heated. The declutch method at highway speed eliminates the vibration.

I've swapped the fairly new (also 6k mi ago) Beru coils for an old set, but no difference noted. The air filter is fairly new, and clean.

The problem appeared after I installed a new set of tires, but I've rebalanced them, and even replaced the front tire with the old one, and no difference noted. So the timing of this development with the tire change seems coincidental.

Is it possible one of the injectors is clogged, causing fueling imbalance? I'd recently run Techron through several tanks of fuel for a different reason and also to keep the fuel system clean, so a clogged injector seems unlikely (unless it's a mechanical failure of an injector?).

Any suggestion on what is causing the vibration will be greatly appreciated!

Afternoon MontanaBud

What road speed?

What engine RPM range?

What transmission gear range (all or only high gear?)

Is it there both hot & cold?

Is it still there IF you ride out to way above the speed range then de-clutch & coast back down through the effected road speed?

Only in the handlebars or in the seat, foot pegs, & handlebars?

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#996257 - 09/06/17 03:13 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: dirtrider]  
MontanaBud Offline
MontanaBud  Offline

Road speed: 70-100 mph. Once going down a long steep hill I thought I had sped out of the vibration, but in another attempt it did not.

RPMs: 4000 - 5000.

What transmission gear range (all or only high gear?): I'd say only high gear, but the lower gears are always extra buzzy, so it's difficult to say it's present in the lower gears.

Is it there both hot & cold: Does not appear in the first 10 miles or so of riding.

Is it still there IF you ride out to way above the speed range then de-clutch & coast back down through the effected road speed? NO.

Only in the handlebars or in the seat, foot pegs, & handlebars? Most obviously felt in the handlebars, but also in seat and footpegs.

I also did the motronic relearn, for no reason except somebody here said that worked for them. It made no difference for me.

Last edited by MontanaBud; 09/06/17 03:29 PM.
#996258 - 09/06/17 03:21 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: MontanaBud]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee

Is it still there IF you ride out to way above the speed range then de-clutch & coast back down through the effected road speed? Yes.

mmmm. Maybe not the motor/tranny. Back tire, perhaps?

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#996259 - 09/06/17 03:30 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: greiffster]  
MontanaBud Offline
MontanaBud  Offline

Sorry, meant to answer that it is not present after declutching. Fixed it in my answer.

#996260 - 09/06/17 03:37 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: MontanaBud]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Is it still there IF you ride out to way above the speed range then de-clutch & coast back down through the effected road speed? Yes.

Afternoon MontanaBud

This in itself points to not engine related so the 4000 - 5000 RPM's should only be because that is what the engine needs to get that road speed.

Because you call it a buzz & not a shake or vibration that points to higher frequency than wheel speed so should not be a wheel balance problem.

Assuming the coast down observation is accurate then you are probably looking at the pinion side of the final drive, or the output side of the transmission, or drive shaft/U joint area.

If you re-ride it & find the disturbance IS strictly engine RPM related (only) then post back as an engine related buzz requires a different troubleshooting approach.

D.R. ___
#996261 - 09/06/17 03:40 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: MontanaBud]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Sorry, meant to answer that it is not present after declutching. Fixed it in my answer.

Afternoon MontanaBud

OK, NOW, that statement does put it on the engine side of the drivetrain disturbance!

That is a bit more difficult to find & isolate.

If definitely engine related & in the 4-5K range that is smack dab in the middle of the normal boxer buzz range.

So that sort of points us to a normal boxer buzz that is amplified by SOMETHING. Like loose engine attaching fasteners, exhaust system grounding out to center stand, or to something anyhow, clutch issues, loose transmission attachments.

In any case 4-5K is usually well above the normal influence of injector problems or minor sparking issues (at 4-5 K it is usually all mechanical.

First thing to try is to normally ride out to a moderate speed in high gear, then play with the clutch lever to lightly feather the clutch engagement (lever in & out across the engagement point while applying light normal throttle). This s-h-o-u-l-d allow the clutch disk to self-center on the trans input shaft splines. (IF) this makes the buzz better (even a little) then suspect you have a clutch disk or spline wear issue coming on.

A clutch disk not completely centering on the input shaft will be enough out of balance at 4-5K to really cause a noticeable buzz in the handlebars)

Otherwise check the exhaust system for being bent, loose, or contacting something other than the mounts.

Also check all the engine & transmission bolts for being tight.

One last thing to try-- if your oil level it at top of sight glass then try draining some out to put oil level at or below midpoint.

Lots more to try but the above should be enough to get you stared or hopefully point us in a direction to go after.

Last edited by dirtrider; 09/06/17 03:53 PM.

D.R. ___
#996269 - 09/06/17 06:23 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: MontanaBud]  
rxcrider Offline
rxcrider  Offline

Ohio
Two places I've found for vibrating wierdness:

Muffler mount at the left rear - If the rubber bushing is failing you can get metal on metal contact and the resulting vibration.

I'm not sure about the R1150RT, but on the R1150RS, when the rubber up stop bumper fails on the center stand, it can bump into the bottom of the muffler (cat chamber area) and transmit vibration. If you loosened the muffler when you removed the wheel, you may also be able to twist the muffler assembly enough to cause contact with the center stand.

1995 R1100RSL
#996271 - 09/06/17 07:41 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: dirtrider]  
MontanaBud Offline
MontanaBud  Offline

I removed all Tupperware and bags and went for a ride. The vibration seemed present immediately upon reaching speed (whereas I had previously found it only upon reaching full operating temp). I tried feathering the clutch, but felt no real change in the vibes.

Before the ride I checked all the bolts at the footplates. All tight. Everything seems in order (except a bolt missing from the lift handle, so I replaced it). I don't know about other mounting bolts. Anything to look for under the gas tank?

I checked the center stand. The rubber bumper is present, but during the ride I pushed down the center stand slightly with my heel and there was no change.

I examined the exterior of the muffler, but no signs of anything amiss there. I didn't loosen it when removing the rear tire.

The oil level is center of the sight glass.
Very frustrating! I needs to ride.

Last edited by MontanaBud; 09/06/17 07:44 PM.
#996274 - 09/06/17 07:49 PM Re: Help - High Frequency Vibration [Re: MontanaBud]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
I removed all Tupperware and bags and went for a ride. The vibration seemed present immediately upon reaching speed (whereas I had previously found it only upon reaching full operating temp). I tried feathering the clutch, but felt no real change in the vibes.

Before the ride I checked all the bolts at the footplates. All tight. Everything seems in order (except a bolt missing from the lift handle, so I replaced it). I don't know about other mounting bolts. Anything to look for under the gas tank?

I checked the center stand. The rubber bumper is present, but during the ride I pushed down the center stand slightly with my heel and there was no change.

I examined the exterior of the muffler, but no signs of anything amiss there. I didn't loosen it when removing the rear tire.

Very frustrating! I needs to ride.

Afternoon MontanaBud

Those high speed higher RPM buzz type problems are very difficult to diagnose while riding the bike & ever more difficult over the internet.

Have you tried an engine revv to the 4-5K RPM range while sitting still (trans in neutral)? --If so what do you feel?

How about riding at 4-5K in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? Do you still get the buzz at 4-5K?

Where is your engine oil level?

D.R. ___
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4