IGNORED

No Backlit Controls

Stu K

so I took my first night ride and silly me discovered that the switch gear was not backlit. Fo some odd reason I assumed (ugh oh) that they would be...are the 17's the same?

I haven't either, but for some reason I thought the RT was. Whats funny is that the buttons on the left side of the fairing are back lit in red...

The newer Multistrada 1200 has backlit control switches, but AFAIK that's the only bike with backlit switches.

It does look pretty nice at night and I didn't find it distracting at all.

When I started riding years ago, you were lucky if your headlight worked, now we worry about lighted switch gear :grin:

I had a car one time that had a bad electrical connection somewhere and every once in awhile all of the lights would go off. It was pretty exciting when that happened while driving on a winding mountain road at night.

Edited by Green RT

<?

If you're riding an RT, you're still lucky if the headlight works.

Odd, I never had any problems with my 3 RT's.

I just put my 4th one in on my 2010.

<?

Just looked at your tag line and I would have guessed that with a 67 & 69 Triumphs in the corral you would think electrical problems were situation normal... Lucas Electrics founded by Joseph Lucas, the price of darkness :D

Seriously though, that isn't normal. Check for abnormal resistance/voltage

<?

Just looked at your tag line and I would have guessed that with a 67 & 69 Triumphs in the corral you would think electrical problems were situation normal... Lucas Electrics founded by Joseph Lucas, the price of darkness :D

Seriously though, that isn't normal. Check for abnormal resistance/voltage

My first bike was a 56 Triumph Thunderbird, so I'm pretty familiar with the Princ. I think the light switches were marked dim, flicker, and off. I'm sure you wouldn't see them at all at idle if they were back-lit.

The audio system controls are backlit on my '15 RT. They must of figured once your blasting tunes nothing else matters

Not on my 15 RT.

GT

I checked again to be sure and the left side faring audio control buttons are definitely lit.

so I took my first night ride and silly me discovered that the switch gear was not backlit. Fo some odd reason I assumed (ugh oh) that they would be...are the 17's the same?

I think I solved your problem. If there is no back lighting, then maybe front lighting will do!

trail-tech-helmet-light-1.jpg

Why would you want them backlit? you know where they are some you cant even see anyway ( headlight main/dip for example) I want to see the road ahead and possibly the speedo and fuel gauge everything else is just a distraction

<?

Why would you want them backlit? you know where they are some you cant even see anyway ( headlight main/dip for example) I want to see the road ahead and possibly the speedo and fuel gauge everything else is just a distraction

My feelings exactly. FWIW the Goldwing also has backlit switches, I had a 2010 and had miscellaneous lights on the left grip, right grip, tank center, left fairing, and right fairing. Mostly they were out of my sight line but still annoying.

I would prefer them back lit just for the convenience . Maybe as I get used to the whole set up i'll feel different but, I just thought they would be. Kinda of like you didn't know you were missing it until you had it...