IGNORED

ram mount

steveg

anyone know whats the best ram mount option for a R1100RT,Im looking at all the different ones but not sure which one is best

Afternoon steveg

The BEST RAM mount is the one that allows you to put the (whatever device you are working with) in the best location for YOU.

What are you trying to do, where do you want to put it, how adjustable or removable does it have to be?

I want to mount my smart phone on it for mostly navigation,just not sure which mounting system is best for the R1100RT, when checking them out theres so many different ones [ie] mirror mount, clamp mount etc.

I want to mount my smart phone on it for mostly navigation,just not sure which mounting system is best for the R1100RT, when checking them out theres so many different ones [ie] mirror mount, clamp mount etc.

Afternoon steveg

There is no universal BEST. Where do YOU want to mount the phone? Do you use a tank bag?

You need to decide where you want to mount it then we can help you pick a RAM mount.

Some riders like center mount, some like center high mount, some like outboard on handlebars, etc.

On my R1100RT the best for ME is in the left hand control mirror hole. A ball, then the X grip to hold my phone.

I don't actually look at my phone when moving, I have it Bluetoothed into either a Scala G4 or a Sena 10 as I have 2 helmets.

I listen to background music and get voice commands .

Here is a link to a RAM mount builder that will give you part nunmbers, etc.

The BEST thing makes me crazy as it's like asking what's the BEST ice cream or old Western movie or breed of dog. It's what ones needs are or personal tastes .

anyone know whats the best ram mount option for a R1100RT,Im looking at all the different ones but not sure which one is best

This works well for ME. Photo is with an old Garmin SP2610 but now using a Zumo 550 with a different cradle but the same mount. The mount is a RAM piece with a slightly longer bolt replacing the original handle bar bolt.

RAM%20Mount_zpsdiyrmw9l.jpg

The Ram bases are excellent. I tried their X-mount phone holder. Nothing else made fit my phone. It was OK but I never felt secure in trusting it, so I always used a tether I made from a bit of cord and put a Canadian slip knot on it. On a couple of rough roads, it moved in the mount, but it never came off. Nonetheless, I didn't like that it moved. A few more bumps and it might have come off.

The mount has an annoying habit of rotating so that I had to move the phone back to horizontal (or vertical) repeatedly. There's a recommendation on some sites to put a popsicle stick into the mount to prevent this.

The best phone holder I've found is the Perfect Squeeze, made by Hondo Garage.

http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount

They make a low profile mount that attaches right to the bars, if you have that kind of setup as well as a mount for the Ram system.

The Ram bases are excellent. I tried their X-mount phone holder. Nothing else made fit my phone. It was OK but I never felt secure in trusting it, so I always used a tether I made from a bit of cord and put a Canadian slip knot on it. On a couple of rough roads, it moved in the mount, but it never came off. Nonetheless, I didn't like that it moved. A few more bumps and it might have come off.

The mount has an annoying habit of rotating so that I had to move the phone back to horizontal (or vertical) repeatedly. There's a recommendation on some sites to put a popsicle stick into the mount to prevent this.

The best phone holder I've found is the Perfect Squeeze, made by Hondo Garage.

http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount

They make a low profile mount that attaches right to the bars, if you have that kind of setup as well as a mount for the Ram system.

I have been using a Ram X grip for the last year/30,000 miles on everything from interstates to really rough roads in Mexico. Phone hasn't fallen out yet or even come close. I did order a X grip that came with a rubber holder thing like this one:

41yLyrMIFEL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Texel-WebGrip-X-Grip-Cradle-TXL-HOL-UN10B/dp/B015DEBD9Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1505138896&sr=8-10&keywords=ram+x+grip+mount

If you already have the X grip you can also just order the rubber band thing for a few dollars on Amazon or from Ram. After the year of being on the bike the band is starting to wear out - one or two of the web pieces are broken and it's not as springy, but I think it's done its job well and been worth the money.

I have NOT used it all the time - sometimes I forget and sometimes I'm too lazy - and still no issues. I have tried to put it on when I thought we'd be hitting something rough or were going to be at freeway speeds...

It will rotate a bit sometimes, but that hasn't been much of an issue with either of the two X grips I've used - maybe yours is unusually loose from the factory? (I haven't looked to see if it could be adjusted by the consumer.)

Edited by szurszewski