IGNORED

Drain and vent hose

Mark / Brenda

Mark / Brenda

I bought a 2000 R1100RT. When I test drove the bike, and it only had a 1/4 tank of gas, it worked great. When I got home, I filled the tank and I got a fuel leak before I started the bike to go home. Once I got home, I found a line up by the fuel pump was leaking around the hose clamp. When I check the line, I found to was coming off the "drain" line but found that someone had looped it around and connected it to the "vent" line that was next to it. Then I also found after I opened the fuel cap, my fuel tank is now under pressure to the point where it shoots gas all over the bike. I'm thinking that the fuel tank should be vented up to the "vent" by the fuel pump but not sure what to do with the "drain" hose. Thanks for any help, getting frustrated

Michaelr11

If there is no longer a charcoal canister then the tank vent hose and the gas cap drain hose can both be routed down to the right footplate and to atmosphere. Those hoses have a section that is routed inside the gas tank and going to the fuel pump plate, then the other section from the plate on the outside of the tank which goes down to the footplate. If the section of either hose that resides inside the tank has a crack or split then gas will enter the hose and either leak to the ground or into the charcoal canister if it is still hooked up. The fact that you are getting some kind of vacuum or air pressure when you open the gas cap indicates that the tank vent is blocked, probably the charcoal canister is flooded or plugged up.

This thread should get moved into the Oilheads section.

Edited by Michaelr11
dirtrider
I bought a 2000 R1100RT. When I test drove the bike, and it only had a 1/4 tank of gas, it worked great. When I got home, I filled the tank and I got a fuel leak before I started the bike to go home. Once I got home, I found a line up by the fuel pump was leaking around the hose clamp. When I check the line, I found to was coming off the "drain" line but found that someone had looped it around and connected it to the "vent" line that was next to it. Then I also found after I opened the fuel cap, my fuel tank is now under pressure to the point where it shoots gas all over the bike. I'm thinking that the fuel tank should be vented up to the "vent" by the fuel pump but not sure what to do with the "drain" hose. Thanks for any help, getting frustrated

Afternoon Mark/Brenda

The fuel fill cap ring drain should go to behind the R/H rider foot peg with nothing else hooked to it.

The tank vent line should either go to the evap can at R/H rear of motorcycle, OR, if no evap can, then to behind the riders R/H foot peg.

BUT! both the tank fill ring drain & the tank vent line run though the inside of the fuel tank then out through the fuel pump pass through. Those are special hoses inside the fuel tank that are fuel submersible rated & a small size that is very difficult to find except from BMW.

If one of those in-tank hoses has split or is degraded then it will allow the fuel in the tank to run out either the vent or the fill ring drain hose (could be why they were hooked together outside the tank)

1100%20tank%20vent_zps2qgmzvb8.jpg

Edited by dirtrider
Mark / Brenda

Thank you-I'm busy till this weekend and will try to resolve problem-thanks again

Mark / Brenda

I hope there is nothing wrong in the tank, it does look like I have any quick couple connections on the fuel lines

dirtrider
Thank you-seems like a complicated way to vent the fuel system - thanks again

Morning Mark/Brenda

BMW didn't have much choice as the tank fill ring is recessed so the drain needs to go down from there or it wouldn't allow drain off & the tank could get water in it every time fill cap was opened with water in the drain ring.

I suppose they could have vented the tank externally but that would force the excess fuel to go up before out & could trap liquid fuel in the roll over valve. Trapping raw fuel in the rollover valve could send a slug of raw fuel to the evap canister (that would kill the evap system).

Plus the fill ring drain was already run through the tank so just a simple matter of running the tank vent line the same way.

Mark / Brenda

Thanks for all your help-gonna try to look at it this weekend- missing too many days not being able to ride- hoping it's just the charcoal filter/tank vent

• 3 months later...

My R100rt won't start. I went out to the garage and turned the key on and the fuel punp made a grinding sound. I turned it off and then on and the fuel pump did it's normal 10-15 second run up. At first It would fire on one cylinder for one hit and then nothing. Now it won't even do that. I pulled the spark plugs and I have spark but the plugs are dry. The fuel pump still does its normal 10-15 second run up but will not even try to start.

Bad fuel pump, plugged fuel line or bad injectors?

Any suggestions on where to start?

Could be all three.

Unhook the 'return' hose from its Quick-Disconnect fitment ( lube it well beforehand or that crappy BMW plastic fitting will snap. )

Switch on and see if fuel is RETURNING to the tank¸as excess fuel always should.

If so, it could be injector problems. Some people have replaced the early single-squirt injectors with the later multi-jet models.

https://s26.postimg.org/fzgy1b3rd/Fuel_Lines.jpg

Edited by Alan Sykes

Could be all three.

Unhook the 'return' hose from its Quick-Disconnect fitment ( lube it well beforehand or that crappy BMW plastic fitting will snap. )

Switch on and see if fuel is RETURNING to the tank¸as excess fuel always should.

If so, it could be injector problems. Some people have replaced the early single-squirt injectors with the later multi-jet models.

https://s26.postimg.org/fzgy1b3rd/Fuel_Lines.jpg

Could be all three.

Switch on and see if fuel is RETURNING to the tank,as excess fuel always should.

Fuel_Lines.jpg

Repost of Alan's message.

My R100rt won't start. I went out to the garage and turned the key on and the fuel punp made a grinding sound. I turned it off and then on and the fuel pump did it's normal 10-15 second run up. At first It would fire on one cylinder for one hit and then nothing. Now it won't even do that. I pulled the spark plugs and I have spark but the plugs are dry. The fuel pump still does its normal 10-15 second run up but will not even try to start.

Bad fuel pump, plugged fuel line or bad injectors?

Any suggestions on where to start?

Morning Mark/Brenda

You say R100RT, do you man R1100RT?

Does your fuel tank have enough gasoline in it? (maybe you are out of fuel)

If you have enough fuel in the tank then a fuel return flow test would be a good starting point but on the 1100 it isn't that easy unless someone has added quick disconnects to the fuel lines (usually very difficult to get the lines apart without quick disconnects). If you do have the quick disconnects be SURE to use something to hold the little inner check valve open during the test or you won't see any return fuel flow even if it is good.

But first-- You might want to stick simple NOID light across a fuel injector connector then crank the engine looking for a flashing NOID light. (you can usually get a NOID light from your local auto parts store)

If the NOID light is flashing while cranking then you will probably need to remove the return fuel line & check for return fuel flow.

If you have NO NOID light flashing during engine cranking then suspect a faulty HES sensor under front engine pulley. HES has two sensors, one for spark & one for injecting fuel.