IGNORED

Coolant Level

hopz

Went for a little ride yesterday and all was well except that I thought the engine temperature was a bar, maybe two higher than I recall.

Came on home and let it sit a bit to cool down. Flashlight in hand and I could not see coolant in the sight-"glass". You know, that tiny slot inside the starboard side cowling vent. Took the panel off and opened the coolant stopper.. No color visible.

Looks like time to mix up a batch and bring the level up.

So... Coolant to add to the water... ? Regular anti-Freeze or some exotic BMW potion?

I assume water works but coolant would be better... thoughts?

check the owner's manual to see if it specifies a certain type of coolant, like a low phosphate coolant as VW does or used to do. I would always do a mix of coolant to DISTILLED water as indicated by the manual, I believe that this is normally recommended as a 50/50 mix. A coolant mix provides a higher boiling point than straight water and provides additives that protect the system.

Went for a little ride yesterday and all was well except that I thought the engine temperature was a bar, maybe two higher than I recall.

Came on home and let it sit a bit to cool down. Flashlight in hand and I could not see coolant in the sight-"glass". You know, that tiny slot inside the starboard side cowling vent. Took the panel off and opened the coolant stopper.. No color visible.

Looks like time to mix up a batch and bring the level up.

So... Coolant to add to the water... ? Regular anti-Freeze or some exotic BMW potion?

I assume water works but coolant would be better... thoughts?

Morning Hopz

Fist thing is to never mix conventional antifreeze with any motor company's OEM long-life antifreeze as that renders the long life ability null.

As to your what-to-use question-- Easy answer it to just swing by your local BWM dealer & have them top you off.

If you want to do it yourself then you will need to match the factory type antifreeze if you want to keep it a long-life antifreeze.

I had the same issue on matching antifreeze for my 800GS so with a LOT of research I found that Pentofrost NF matches the factory (blue) antifreeze (exactly). My local O'Reillys auto parts store could order it in for (took 1 day to come in)-- 1.5 liter bottle. (I can't remember the price but not too bad)

As far as my parts books show the BMW 800GS uses the same BMW p/n 83192211191 as your water cooled 1200 does.

I simply bought some at my local BMW dealer, and mixed it 50:50 with distilled water (as recommended on the bottle), to use to top off my overflow reservoir.

Not sure what the RT is like, but on my GSA, after removing a small cover, I can see the entire reservoir. Without taking that cover off, I can still peer into an opening and see the MAX/MIN lines on the resevoir. Do you mean that you saw no coolant whatsoever in that overflow reservoir? I've got 18,000+ miles, and have never been below the MIN, though I've topped it up a few times.

Edited by marcopolo

Yes, of corse the question is why?

I have never noticed.. and I would... any drips or stains under the bike... either on a long aggressive trip... like from Colorado to up-state Wisconsin... nor in the garage.

I have had the bike in for dealer service and a recall. Never an operating problem.

I have never noticed a high-temp reading on the gauge ... except a slight impression that this last ride it showed a bar, maybe two higher than what I think was normal.. ambient temperature was not an issue.

There are no symptoms of an issue otherwise- such as odor.

I refilled the overflow tank with a new mix of OEM coolant properly mixed yesterday.

I will report after the next ride.

Just as a data point and follow-up.

I went to the local BMW moto dealer and bought a quart of the magic blue fluid ($9.00)... or was it green? but I digress. did the 50/50 dilution and added enough coolant mix to be near the top of the plastic overflow canister.

Took a ride a few minutes ago and the temperature gauge was where it should be. Also noticed that the temp varied to a much greater degree than I recall. Up-down much more than expected and pretty responsive about it too.... never got as high as it was the other day.

But this saga causes me to ask if it is ok/preferable etc to add the fluid to the plastic overflow bin or is it better for some obscure reason to open the screw-cap on the real radiator fill?

FWIW...

Just as a data point and follow-up.

I went to the local BMW moto dealer and bought a quart of the magic blue fluid ($9.00)... or was it green? but I digress. did the 50/50 dilution and added enough coolant mix to be near the top of the plastic overflow canister.

Took a ride a few minutes ago and the temperature gauge was where it should be. Also noticed that the temp varied to a much greater degree than I recall. Up-down much more than expected and pretty responsive about it too.... never got as high as it was the other day.

But this saga causes me to ask if it is ok/preferable etc to add the fluid to the plastic overflow bin or is it better for some obscure reason to open the screw-cap on the real radiator fill?

FWIW...

Evening Hopz

As long as it isn't real low it will eventually pull the fluid into the cooling system from the recovery container & purge the air out as it goes through it's normal heating & cooling cycles.

Good morning DR,

Any ideas as to where the missing coolant might have gone? I think that I might have the identical situation as Bob's! No apparent coolant leaks that I can detect, and yet the coolant level is down.

Afternoon PadG

The usual place is a slight seepage past the water pump seal. (BMW is noted for this problem).

The "fix" for the BMW 800 was to just run a small tube from the water pump weep hole to under the bike (doesn't stop the seep but riders can't see the weepage so quit complaining)

The good news is that most BMW water pump seepages go away by themselves after a good number of riding miles.

Unless you are close to warranty termination then you might note the amount of antifreeze used then every visit to your dealer get them to note it on your service record (will help in the future if the seepage doesn't stop)

If it ONLY goes (went) down once then it could also be that the cooling system wasn't totally purged of air at initial bike build.

At 385 miles I had a weep. A few drops ran from the overflow hole.

It has been dry and clean for 14,000 miles now.

However I have topped off my reservoir 2 times.

I have no clue where it goes but I have no leaks as it sits in the same spot in the garage since new.

This last time it took about 4 oz.

Not sure where it goes but i do not see it leaking.

Good morning DR,

No, nothing out of the weep hole on mine! I have about 17k miles on the odometer, and if I recalled correctly, the coolant level in the expansion tank was just a little over the low level when the bike was new. It is right on the low level mark now. The only loss that I could figure out was perhaps at some of the hose connections, and some due to natural evaporation from the expansion tank.

Edited by PadG
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.....but...

I'm having the same thing occur w/ my 18' RT.  Every 6,000 miles, the little view slot shows that the reservoir is down by half.  My shop filled it at the 12,000 mile service.  It was down by half at the 18,000 mile service, but they didn't correct it.  Now, with just over 21,000 miles on the bike, the indicator in the slot doesn't show any fluid at all.  There isn't a drop of fluid beneath the bike on my garage floor.  So, has anyone figured out where he heck the fluid is going?  This is a sealed system right?  

it is likely coming out of your weep hole and evaporating before you can see it.  The weep hole is on the left side of the engine near the top.  It's a little hard to find.  If you see green there you have found the escape hatch.  No more that you are losing (maybe 2-3 oz) it's probably not a safety issue, but it is annoying for sure.  Adding fluid is a pain in the arse.  If you do add fluid be mindful of where the fill line is...it is way below the top of the overflow bottle.  Once you fill it all the way up you can't get it out..not even with a syringe.  Ask me how I know. If you over fill it you can't see the level through the sight glass. Since your bike is well inside warranty I would have them track it down and fix it.  Seems like those who have had tiny leaks have cured themselves by about 12,000 miles.  Doesn't sound like yours did.   

Also make sure your overflow tank has the recirculating hose.  Mine did not 

dbvis-1009604872982915621.gif

I top up my coolant level, when it reaches the "min" mark (at most once a year).  It takes about 2 ounces to fill it back up to the "max" mark.

Occasionally when I'm cleaning the bike I'll see evidence of some weeping from the hole above the oil filter, but never drops in my garage.  The level went down quicker when the bike was new.  I have almost 19K on it now and the level has been dropping more slowly over time.

I think the 18 model RT’s have a drain hose attached to weep hole above the oil filter and it is routed behind the foot pegs somewhere. This prevents green marks on the engine cases. 

12 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

it is likely coming out of your weep hole and evaporating before you can see it.  The weep hole is on the left side of the engine near the top.  It's a little hard to find.  If you see green there you have found the escape hatch.  No more that you are losing (maybe 2-3 oz) it's probably not a safety issue, but it is annoying for sure.  Adding fluid is a pain in the arse.  If you do add fluid be mindful of where the fill line is...it is way below the top of the overflow bottle.  Once you fill it all the way up you can't get it out..not even with a syringe.  Ask me how I know. If you over fill it you can't see the level through the sight glass. Since your bike is well inside warranty I would have them track it down and fix it.  Seems like those who have had tiny leaks have cured themselves by about 12,000 miles.  Doesn't sound like yours did. 

Skywagon, Alegerlotz and Bernie...thanks for taking the time to respond.  On my '18, it appears as though they moved the weep hole back and attached a hose to it which runs back toward the center stand and ending just behind the sidestand springs.  There is no hole on my bike like the one seen here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?87640-Coolant-weephole-leak-question

When I look at the end of the tube there is no color and nothing that would indicate a leak of a few ounces.  Actually, it looked brand new with nothing on the outside of the tube.   Also, when I check my coolant, the fluid looks clear and not green in the slot that I check it with.  So, I looked for residue behind the tube which runs horizontally...where it would blow to if dripping while the bike was in motion.  I couldn't find a trace.  So, I'm puzzled.  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I think the 18 model RT’s have a drain hose attached to weep hole above the oil filter and it is routed behind the foot pegs somewhere. This prevents green marks on the engine cases. 

I think you're right.  I've heard this somewhere else before as well.

RPR... When you look through window and you see clear...that concerns me a bit.  One of two things comes to mind (based on personal experience).  If they overfilled it, the window will look clear.  If they filled it with water instead of antifreeze it will look almost clear.  I would pull the two panels and check to see what you really have quantity wise.  It's only 3-4 Torx if I remember correctly.  When removing the front panel be very careful not to break the tabs that are on top.  They don't pull straight out or you will break them, you lift them up.  Maybe look for a video on how to remove them.  I've seen a video here before but don't recall the link or the author.  I hope someone can post it again.  It's a 5 minute job.

• Like 1

I took my bike to the shop this morning.  They found that indeed there was coolant in the reservoir.  And, it is colored blue.  The service manager actually showed me a couple of things about checking the level.  First, he took a flashlight, just like I had done and placed the beam on the slot where you would view the level.  With the light bouncing off of the expansion tank, I said, I can't see any fluid in there.  "Neither can I" he said.  "So", he continued, "let's try this:"  He then took his small flashlight and placed it over and behind the radiator and turned it toward the fluid reservoir.  And as I looked at the viewing slot, there it was...half full and blue.  It showed perfectly when lit from behind.  I'm too old to get embarrassed, but I'm not too old to learn new tricks.  And, I'm glad to have had this one taught to me this morning...  I had to share this for the benefit of anyone else who may have difficulty reading their coolant level.  And, one last thing:  The manual doesn't say to put the bike on the center stand to check the coolant...only to put it on a level and firm surface, but the service manager told me that to check any fluids in the bike that it can't be leaning on the side stand...has to be on the center stand.  So, two lessons this morning...a good day!  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 AM, Skywagon said:

RPR... When you look through window and you see clear...that concerns me a bit.  One of two things comes to mind (based on personal experience).  If they overfilled it, the window will look clear.  If they filled it with water instead of antifreeze it will look almost clear.  I would pull the two panels and check to see what you really have quantity wise.  It's only 3-4 Torx if I remember correctly.  When removing the front panel be very careful not to break the tabs that are on top.  They don't pull straight out or you will break them, you lift them up.  Maybe look for a video on how to remove them.  I've seen a video here before but don't recall the link or the author.  I hope someone can post it again.  It's a 5 minute job.

I believe @Boxflyer has a comprehensive vid on wetheads. The one I saw was impressive.