IGNORED

Newbie with which oil to use for my first oil change for my 03 K1200RS

Bubbadozer

There's almost too much info on this subject, which makes it somewhat confusing for a new dud like me

I want to change my oil on my 03 K1200RS with 71K. I see people use 20-50 and 15-40. Not sure which to use. I read all kinds opinions about which brand, but think maybe I should just stick with BMW brand, which is probably somone elses oil, I just dont know wich one.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

If you have an owner's manual what does it say? Most I believe give different viscosity ranges based on the ambient temperature, typically I have seen the higher the ambient temperature that you ride in then the higher viscosity you should use. I don't know where in Washington State you are, but I would expect a 15w-40 oil or even a 10w-40 would be fine. Since I believe the K1200Rs has a dry clutch then any good quality oil, synthetic or standard, would be good. I would recommend Mobil 1 or similar.

Depending on where I am/what I can find, I use 20w50 mineral or 10w40 synthetic in our K1200 - we've broken some other bits touring around on the bike, but that oil has kept the engine very happy.

When at home, or when I can have it shipped ahead, I order the maintenance kits from beemerboneyard.com. My preference is for synthetic.

Here's mineral

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkitm.html

and here's synthetic

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkits.html

Very complete kits, very competitive prices (assuming you're going to use a quality oil!), and great to deal with. If you want to source your own oil, they also offer the kits with only the hard parts.

Dennis Andress

20-50W Oil.

The rear seal has a propensity to leak. Look for a 1/4" hole under the bell housing. Check to see if oil is present in the hole.

Don't waste a whole lot of money on BMW oil or synthetic oil. BY all means do NOT use Amsoil. It will leak through your seals on a flying brick. In summer, 20w/50. In Winter (cold weather) 10w/40 will do. I use either straight castrol 4t, or valvoline conventional motorcycle oil.

For my RT, it has been those brands of oil and conventional oil for 74K miles now with no problems at all.