IGNORED

Portugal

Steve1962

Hi all,

Currently on the 9th day of a two week holiday in the Algarve, staying close to Albufiera.

Yesterday I rented a Suzuki Burgman 125cc for four days so we could explore inland a little, and today we visited Monchique and Silves.

I will post some photos when I get back, but felt I had to share a great road with like minded folk, so if any of you venture into Portugal, the road from Sao Marcos da Serra to Monchique is sublime.

It's the N267, and is 16 miles of winding tarmac that takes you up mountain and down into the valley, with glorious vistas and seemingly a micro climate all of its own.

We were lucky enough to ride this road today and had it all to ourselves, apart from the three cars that I counted on the approach into Monchique.

The little Burgman coped ok, though I did have to wind it up a bit to get up the steeper climbs, nothing that a little planning didn't solve though.

We stopped off at the highest point in the Algarve too (Mount Foia) on the way out of Monchique, and the view is amazing.

We then rode back down the mountain into Monchique before heading back via Silves, taking in the magnificent hilltop castle there.

If you haven't been to this area I can highly recommend it.

Steve

That sounds amazing!! I SO need to get back to that part of te world someday!

Been out and about again today - so many great little roads around here.

The little Burgman is holding up well, though the suspension is a bit harsh on some of the less maintained roads.

Had to ride it into a large gravel car park today........which was interesting......like watching a new born foal taking the first few steps, not very graceful but at least I didn't fall over.

Steve

Steve, thanks for posting. Will try to visit Portugal on next visit across the pond.

Currently enjoying the rain in Germany. :dopeslap:

Hi Marty,

How's the little GS doing - always liked those bikes but never ridden one yet.

Steve

Miss the 12GS while on the highway but was starting to hate moving it around in the garage. Should have kept it for 1 more trip. The 7GS is a good moto, great for lane sharing even where it's not legal. :dopeslap:

We have run into a bit of rain. :cry:

Miss the 12GS while on the highway but was starting to hate moving it around in the garage. Should have kept it for 1 more trip. The 7GS is a good moto, great for lane sharing even where it's not legal. :dopeslap:

We have run into a bit of rain. :cry:

Marty,

None here in the Algarve, and today been out again on the Burgman. Breezy and low thirties here - hope the weather improves as your European invasion continues.

Stay safe.

Steve

Francois_Dumas

Very nice pictures Steve ! We happened to move to Italy, more or less by chance, but Portugal was also on the bucket list .... really nice country with friendly people.

Very nice pictures Steve ! We happened to move to Italy, more or less by chance, but Portugal was also on the bucket list .... really nice country with friendly people.

Francois,

Thanks.

We found the people really friendly, and the scenery lovely.

The food was tasty as well - we had a very nice meal in a little village called Paderne (shown in some of the photos).....it was just the local dish chicken piri piri but soooo full of flavour, the best meal we had.

IMG_1575-L.jpg

IMG_1570-L.jpg

If I'd have known we were so close, I'd have popped round on the scooter..can't be that far... :grin::grin::grin:

...Marsciano.........only a 23hr 55 drive from Albufiera.......now I wish i'd rented the scooter for longer!!

..and you never told me you'd made a video.........

Steve

Edited by Steve1962