IGNORED

Clutch switch conundrum

awagnon

I posted this same question on the BMW MOA forum.

I recently bought back my mildly used 2009 1200RT with 27,000 miles on the odo. The final drive promptly failed completely, but that's another story. My conundrum is with the clutch microswitch. The bike began having intermittent starting problems about a month ago, which has gotten worse. I suspected the clutch microswitch and confirmed the problem with my GS911. It showed the switch was not closing (or opening) about 20% of the times the clutch was activated in my tests. Today I checked to see if the switch was adjustable, which it isn't, but did find that the tiny screw that holds it in place was slightly loose. Upon tightening it, I can no longer show the switch malfunctioning with my GS911 and the bike started fine on a single test ride. My problem is I'm about to leave on the bike for a 3,000 mile trip in about 10 days. So, my options are:

1. Call the switch fixed after tightening the screw and doing nothing else.

2. Order a new clutch switch and replace it before my trip. (My dealer doesn't stock it.)

3. Order the new switch and just carry it with me on the trip and change it if needed.

Anyone have any thoughts on which option I should do?

Al

Morning Al

Just see if it will start in neutral without pulling clutch lever in. If it will start that way then you should OK on your trip even if the switch fails.