I already know what's over there.
dc

#997552 - 09/23/17 03:17 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: Bud]  
beemerman2k Offline
Administrator
beemerman2k  Offline
Administrator

Ellington, CT
What a great documentary. I'll buy the DVD set when it becomes available. Powerful.

beemerman2k
'00 R1100RT Opal Blue Metallic
<11 year haitus from motorcycling cry >
'09 K1300GT U of Michigan Blue, baby! thumbsup
#997652 - 09/24/17 07:34 PM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: Bud]  
TEWKS Online
TEWKS  Online

Tewksbury, MA.
Watched 5 last night, a great history lesson indeed. The staggering amount of poor political decision making was unbelievable. frown I appreciate every person who has ever served this country, bravery defined! thumbsup The Vietnam era vets got a screwing beyond all screwings. God bless them all!

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#997695 - 09/25/17 10:08 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: Bud]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Exceptional series.

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#997783 - 09/26/17 05:11 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: TestPilot]  
beemerboy Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO
beemerboy  Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO

Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted By: TestPilot
Originally Posted By: David13
You couldn't pay me to watch it.
But I have heard that a whole lot of the true story was left out, and that it was done from a very particular point of view, or agenda.
So it turns out I have good reason to not watch it.
dc

So essentially you justify your decision not to watch based on someone else's opinion. Too bad. You'll probably never really know the accuracy of that opinion.

Been watching it and support David13's stance. Frankly, anyone familiar with Ken Burns' slant on the various series he's produced has to wonder why his snout's (seemingly) eternally entrenched in the public TV money trough that is PBS. And, if you've not realized that PBS doesn't represent the public - OR independent lens - then you'll never really understand or appreciate the accuracy of my statement.

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#997795 - 09/26/17 12:33 PM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: beemerboy]  
Patallaire Offline
Patallaire  Offline

Buffalo,NY, USA
Wouldn't it be true of all TV shows, movies, books and news stations and newspapers, that they have an axe to grind, a view point that manifests itself in their slant and a story that they want to get out from their viewpoint? I see no difference in Ken Burns approach, he may have committed the sin of omission, or be guilty of a lack of all the realism, but he has told and is telling the underlying story of a time and place which caused a great division in this country as to the "Why." He is also showing the poor decision making as well as the cost of war on those who participated.
So for whatever reason he chose to write it and whatever slant he puts on it, it is out there, and as everything in this country, certainly subject to skeptics and to debate, as well as strong and weak opinions about his motivation and the subject matter. After all is said and done, he wrote it, we didn't. If anyone has more facts or wants to present an alternative perspective, please write your own version, we anxiously await it.

Pat Allaire
99RT Tundra Green
www.AllaireFinancial.Com
Allaire Financial Strategies
Buffalo, NY
#997868 - 09/27/17 02:11 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: Patallaire]  
MarkAZ Offline
MarkAZ  Offline

Arizona
Originally Posted By: Patallaire
... If anyone has more facts or wants to present an alternative perspective, please write your own version, we anxiously await it.

Yes, I would also like to see that. I'd also be interested to hear what agenda is being pushed. I haven't watched all of the series yet but it seems to be a pretty accurate and balanced presentation of what was happening at the time. It certainly reflects my recollections of it.

Gilbert, AZ
2004 R1150RT
BMW MOA 181289
#997871 - 09/27/17 03:31 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: MarkAZ]  
mbelectric Offline
mbelectric  Offline

SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: MarkAZ
Originally Posted By: Patallaire
... If anyone has more facts or wants to present an alternative perspective, please write your own version, we anxiously await it.

Yes, I would also like to see that. I'd also be interested to hear what agenda is being pushed. I haven't watched all of the series yet but it seems to be a pretty accurate and balanced presentation of what was happening at the time. It certainly reflects my recollections of it.

Uh Oh. Here comes the politics. And it's really not your fault.

rofl

Out before the lock wave

MB>

Last edited by mbelectric; 09/27/17 03:31 AM.

74 R90S
98 K1200RS
03 1150RT
04 DRZ400
15 1200RTW

......and a Jeep Rubicon

BMWMOA, ABC.
IBEW 332
#997987 - 09/29/17 12:15 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: beemerboy]  
JohnH VA Offline
JohnH VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
Originally Posted By: beemerboy
Originally Posted By: TestPilot
Originally Posted By: David13
You couldn't pay me to watch it.
But I have heard that a whole lot of the true story was left out, and that it was done from a very particular point of view, or agenda.
So it turns out I have good reason to not watch it.
dc

So essentially you justify your decision not to watch based on someone else's opinion. Too bad. You'll probably never really know the accuracy of that opinion.

Been watching it and support David13's stance. Frankly, anyone familiar with Ken Burns' slant on the various series he's produced has to wonder why his snout's (seemingly) eternally entrenched in the public TV money trough that is PBS. And, if you've not realized that PBS doesn't represent the public - OR independent lens - then you'll never really understand or appreciate the accuracy of my statement.

I guess I'm dense and naive because I don't see any "slant" going on in this excellent historical series. What slant might that be? Do Pew Trust and David H. Koch finance the same slant?

"Funding for THE VIETNAM WAR is provided by Bank of America; Corporation for Public Broadcasting; PBS; David H. Koch; The Blavatnik Family Foundation; Park Foundation; The Arthur Vining Davis Foundations; The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation; The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation; National Endowment for the Humanities; The Pew Charitable Trusts; Ford Foundation Just Films; Rockefeller Brothers Fund; and Members of The Better Angels Society:
Jonathan & Jeannie Lavine, Diane & Hal Brierley, Amy & David Abrams, John & Catherine Debs, Fullerton Family Charitable Fund, The Montrone Family, Lynda & Stewart Resnick, The Golkin Family Foundation, The Lynch Foundation, The Roger & Rosemary Enrico Foundation, Richard S. & Donna L. Strong Foundation, Bonnie & Tom McCloskey, Barbara K. & Cyrus B. Sweet III, The Lavender Butterfly Fund."

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#998067 - 09/30/17 06:01 AM Re: Ken Burns - Vietnam [Re: Bud]  
doc47 Offline
doc47  Offline

Kafountine, Senegal
The series has been excellent so far. I can't begin to claim objectivity, having been involved in the protest movement from the summer of '75, when I regretfully stepped away from ROTC, to the end of the war.
The series targets political figures of both parties. If I have any criticism it is that it vastly underrates the participation of the ARVN forces. While most have heard no lack of criticism of the ARVN, there were also units that fought with incredible bravery and commitment while being led by a venal and corrupt officer corps and political leadership that would make the Lannesters look like Goldilocks. ARVN helicopter pilots and ground-pounders worked hand-in-glove with American small units and men who worked with them praised their courage.
I would have liked to see more Hispanic representation.
If the series was politically slanted it would have made a point that has been consistently skirted, and could have made that point frequently and forcefully. But, so far (Episode 7) it has not. While no reportage can be ultimately objective an effort can be made, and I think Burns has made that effort.

To those of you who served there, you got a raw deal. In seven years in the peace movement I never, not once, saw disrespect paid to a man in military uniform. One of the groups I worked with, Philadelphia Resistance, shared offices with the Philly chapter of Vietnam Veterans Against the War. We marched together, hung out together, got high together and cried and raged over the TV news together.

I knew I'd end up disillusioned. I just thought it would be better than this.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5