IGNORED

Rear End Fill Plug and Rubber Boot

MichiganBob

A Late Good Evening,

First time changing transmission and rear end oil on my 2012 r1200rt. The tranny change went very well. For the rear end, silencer, caliper, and rear wheel removed. Speed sensor removed. Is the fill plug where the speed sensor is located? I'm not seeing any other type of fill plug so I figure that's it. Yes? Also, I have a little rubber boot on the top front of the rear end. Unfortunately it is cracked pretty bad. Is that the rear end vent? Below the rubber boot is what looks like a square peg going into the rear end.

Thanks for your feedback and take care.

Bob

2012 has a fill and drain fitting or plug. No need to remove speed sensor. The rubber boot is to keep debris from getting inside the final drive vent assembly.

A Late Good Evening,

First time changing transmission and rear end oil on my 2012 r1200rt. The tranny change went very well. For the rear end, silencer, caliper, and rear wheel removed. Speed sensor removed. Is the fill plug where the speed sensor is located? I'm not seeing any other type of fill plug so I figure that's it. Yes? Also, I have a little rubber boot on the top front of the rear end. Unfortunately it is cracked pretty bad. Is that the rear end vent? Below the rubber boot is what looks like a square peg going into the rear end.

Thanks for your feedback and take care.

Bob

Morning Bob

Do not remove the speed sensor (difficult to keep from leaking)--there is a fill plug (about 3 o'clock as you look at the wheel side) see picture.

That rubber cover over the vent is to keep the road water out of the drive. You can buy another vent assembly from BMW for about $16.00.

d4Gv3Sc.jpg

Good Morning,

I see that fill plug now -- thanks. Speed sensor already out as I want to drop the link and check the splines. I would think there is no reason I can't fill it from the speed sensor hole since it's open. What do you think?

Breather needs to be replaced. Looks like I will have to go to the BMW dealer this morning (about an hour each way), instead of installing gravel and pavers in the back yard. Life's not fair.

Be well,

Bob

Good Morning,

I see that fill plug now -- thanks. Speed sensor already out as I want to drop the link and check the splines. I would think there is no reason I can't fill it from the speed sensor hole since it's open. What do you think?

Breather needs to be replaced. Looks like I will have to go to the BMW dealer this morning (about an hour each way), instead of installing gravel and pavers in the back yard. Life's not fair.

Be well,

Bob

Morning Bob

No reason that you can't fill from the speed sensor hole. You might buy a new "O" ring for the sensor while you are at the dealer. If that sensor has a centering ring then MAKE DARN SURE that you get it back together correctly (if not you will have a future leak)

You might call the BMW dealer first (I presume BMWGR) to see if they stock that breather (I doubt that they do stock it).