IGNORED

AF-XiED o2 sensor manipulator.

JMitchell

Just purchased the AF-XiED o2 sensor manipulator from Beemer Boneyard. The unit comes set at a preprogramed setting of 7. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience setting this unit. I ride mostly at sea level.

Thank you,

John

Will this work with a wide-band O2 sensor? I have a stock 2004 R1150RT, and have purchased the AF-XiED and also the EV14 upgrade. I wonder if it makes sense to install a wide-band O2 sensor, as long as I'm upgrading the rest of the fuel system.

No but you can buy an LC-2.

Site is not letting me post more than a few words.

Morning Roger

Until they get the site fixed just use plain words with no symbols or other markings. That should allow you to post about anything you need to.

JMitchell, what bike are you on?? Did I miss that somewhere??

FWIW, I put one on a '99 R1100S over a year ago. So far, it is the single BEST improvement I've made to the bike (Wilbers, EV14's, SJ air filter, Induct) and least expensive!!. It was such a huge improvement that I bought another for a '99 R1100RT that I got this spring. Huge improvement there, too. Both are still set on "7". Who knows if it could get any better!!

The cold-naturedness at startup is gone, no stalling at stops. Slow speed, low RPM manners are SO MUCH improved, roll-on power is way better. The AF-XiED lets the engine run like it's supposed to run. Much cooler running, too. I have not noticed any change in fuel mileage or any real drawbacks.

I just installed one on a NTM '00 K1200RS a week ago. Only have maybe 200 miles on that AF-XiED so far, but it ran really well (after I got a spark problem corrected) before. Need more testing. !!

If you have the round connectors (about the size of your thumb) with the thin hold-tabs, be VERY CAREFUL un-doing these plugs. The thin tabs are very weak and break readily. I found that a plastic toothpick (one each side) worked very well at lifting the tabs enough for disconnecting. You might need to remove the first 1/8 inch of the point first.

ikUe3xWtNSyUFdiHEDCs9ButrKMMyuDZFqxXVs3B2B5YRTh-yGSVq5A3eOh8d39_jhYEJcfB3KMcnXwCkUM498XoIWLVSLNeBlMDBqKRvXFDgr49gnXdHoBwvESBlu2ifYn72OJjbZjG1vheQ14O43dN5UPUoC3_G1jwv6jwa6VPscz_tJpoV8wJWiwwlSXdDy8fX_7gjlhQ_Y6XhpeCPFZ6NF7DMjKsuOrsZwxVMVbXvqimheYqyJP7NM3s51AZLQBVfYkassAvbf6kbBPpTZPaVIDgOAnIiYpRxVxGwgQ1s3te65m2FxkwIbc3loj-wTQp7ONypOjKmeXq1w6Zr4XwjyZ8dnCTjtjM8zLGW0SZHePNjBqCZtPLM0lAquCIvipnyVEQGu6y_0r9ZCiruG088OKcf2YycUpJQNvTH5Ep7QgqFXq_Y9GEw16QCVYL_OsjaRhpZWaJ4Lb6w9sEL4ODFqypfYirr2AC7-AWlUJU0UAHs1DdG4z5dSo3MiOhWs1EX9R5MlFQ4-DTdrv_Qv_Y9Iru6gyBpro6VSPQtjm7UIDp9GSFCW5aEiSG-V2V37sitHYfkQhWgb8QCk069sbkaqNWPol3Qy4HLBHcLu42c4TvKLfBWmFnlxOGIdHvUNs5fs_IY6GMfIuCpRwL8Zcnb0kHZ42kqHqW=w410-h546-no?.jpg

Edited by Lowndes

Just installed af-xied on 1150rt. Setting 7. Seems more responsive , however outside air temps are much cooler then before install so not sure how much of the improvement is attributable to the af-xied. I did notice that under load and full throttle i still got some ping. Didnt expect that, especially with cooler temps. Will try a few tanks of fuel then change settings if no improvement.

Just installed af-xied on 1150rt. Setting 7. Seems more responsive , however outside air temps are much cooler then before install so not sure how much of the improvement is attributable to the af-xied. I did notice that under load and full throttle i still got some ping. Didnt expect that, especially with cooler temps. Will try a few tanks of fuel then change settings if no improvement.

It will take several tanks of fuel before the long term fuel trims have been fully populated for the high load portion of the fuel map. That said you should already notice improvements to steady throttle and roll-on acceleration.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed mine last night. It was super easy. I was ready for a valve inspection anyway.

After I get it all buttoned up, plastic installed, I'll write a report.

RPG

I finished up the install last night on my 04 RT. (99k). I left it set at the 7 position.

I did an initial ride around the block in my neighborhood and noticed the bike just runs different. In a good way. Like the powerband is linear now.

Dual Spark Oilhead's don't surge so it's not a remedy for that, but I do notice a smoothness between idle and off throttle that wasn't there before.

Best description I can give is to compare it to my R90s, when cold. While riding away, I sometimes have to add choke (those big Dellorto's suck a lot of air!), and the bike immediately responds to the influx of fuel.

Rode into work (60 miles) this morning and I like to do the last 10 miles via backroads, exiting the freeway. Biggest change is I can ride a gear higher (as reported I believe) as the low rpm tractability is so much more improved.

Idle is slightly smoother an definitely less hunting around, rpm wise.

So far, I see it as an improvement. Sorry I can't provide the data or insight that DR or roger04rt are capable of. This is just my seat of the pants review.

RPG

What? '04 RTs don't surge?? Can't prove that by me dual spark and all. Won't surge after af-xied or LC-2 install no argument there dual spark or no dual spark.

Joeb, as PAS said, "...use premium fuel." Momentary pinging under lower RPM, higher load, and heavy throttle is normal for gas engines, but try to avoid it. The pinging is detonation (combustion before the spark timed ignition), somewhat like diesel ignition. Detonation is different than the proper combustion in that it happens mostly all over the combustion chamber instantly (and sooner), where proper combustion is ignited at the spark plug electrodes and it is a softer "flame spread", a whoosh rather than a pop. The AF-XiED won't have much influence on that, a higher octane gasoline will. Hot sparkplug electrodes, exhaust valves and glowing carbon deposits on the piston, plus the heat of compression are the causes of the preignition/detonation. Higher RPM's (piston speed) will help, too. The higher the octane the slower the burning, and higher the price. Just remember, Bring More Wampum.

What? '04 RTs don't surge?? Can't prove that by me dual spark and all. Won't surge after af-xied or LC-2 install no argument there dual spark or no dual spark.

My twin sparks have never surged.

Recent update. After installing the AF-Xied last week and reporting good results, I'm seeing a new issue where the bike is having a very difficult time starting when cold. I noticed it Sunday afternoon after the bike was sitting since Friday. Then again last night after sitting for a few days.

Once started. It restarts immediately.

I'll investigate the usual suspects, but is it a coincidence? I hope not.

RPG

Apologies for not being more specific.

Fast idle set to 1st position

Crank engine but it will not fire

De-activate fast idle lever, to use throttle independently

Crank engine with about 1/2 throttle and engine fires, after maybe 2-3 seconds of cranking

Engine cranks fine. Battery is a 2 year old Odyssey PC680.

RID clock does NOT reset to zero. I haven't checked battery voltage but fairly confident that the battery is fine.

More troubleshooting to follow.

Morning Rick

Try removing fuse #5 overnight (or use your GS-911 to re-set the adaptives) , then next morning just before cold start re-install the #5 fuse, then do a quick TPS relearn. See if/how this effects the cold start (this might give us a direction to look in)

Or try disconnecting the AF-Xied , re-set the adaptives then see how your cold starting goes.

Morning D.R.

I did the fuse 5 removal overnite on Monday. Went to work and then replaced it, did the TPS re-learn about 12 hours later. The bike started immediately, within a millisecond.

But this morning, the problem returned.

I'll hook up the GS911 and report back.

Morning D.R.

I did the fuse 5 removal overnite on Monday. Went to work and then replaced it, did the TPS re-learn about 12 hours later. The bike started immediately, within a millisecond.

But this morning, the problem returned.

I'll hook up the GS911 and report back.

Morning Rick

You don't have any sort of IAT spoofer on that bike do you? (is your GS-911 reporting correct intake ambient temperature at cold start up?)

You should probably get Roger involved as he is WAY more up to speed on the AF-Xied cause/effects than I am.

No sir. I haven't modified the intake air temp sensor at all.

the GS911 has reported correct temps in the past so I'll look at that as well.

Appreciate it very much!

RPG

Hi Rick,

I just caught up and reread all your posts in this thread. Also checked your profile, which is an ‘04RT, right?

Based on what you've written, and assuming there are no installation errors, more likely than not it is a coincidence. As an aside, about a year or so after installing a 3.7 bar fuel pressure regulator (no longer installed) and an LC-1 set to 13.8:1, my bike became progressively more hard to start, first cold start of the day. My assumption (which turned out to be wrong), was that it was one of the two mods. After reverting the bike to stock, I then debugged the problem here (jump to the last page for the punch line): http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=856202&page=1.

Because the twin-spark needs all four plugs firing well to cold-start, lower plugs, stick coils, battery and starter issues are the likely suspects. I would start by checking the lower plugs and replacing them if they're not pristine.

There's really only one way the xied might affect starting, by not operating it could affect the long term trims and give you too much (or less likely too light) cold start fuel enrichment. But with good ignition my ‘04RT starts in about a second no matter what I do to it. If you want to go the route I went (not recommended), fully remove the afxied until you get to the bottom of it.

Edited by roger 04 rt

Hi Roger, I did not remove the lower plugs to check them (I installed the AF_Xied) in conjunction with my valve clearance service last week).

I usually remove the main plugs to spin the motor and they were in perfect shape. I'll remove the lowers and go from there.

I too feel it's a coincidence.

Thank You!

I haven't had a chance to pull the lower plugs as work has gotten in the way lately.

However, the bike started instantly this morning going to work. Go figure.....

I'll update when I've had some time to diagnose further.

thanks,

RPG

I haven't had a chance to pull the lower plugs as work has gotten in the way lately.

However, the bike started instantly this morning going to work. Go figure.....

I'll update when I've had some time to diagnose further.

thanks,

RPG

I got the lower plugs pulled and changed last night. I don't think they look too bad overall. A little dark (the mains are spotless).

The bike was starting very well again, even before the plug change. I swapped them anyway and while I was at it, replaced the lower high tension spark plug wires (Euromotoelectric)

The old set (100k) ohmed out at 1385ohms (right), 1298 ohms (left). The new set was just under 1k ohms for both left and right (FWIW)

Rode my 60 mile commute this morning. Bike started instantly in the garage and ran flawless, so I'll assume the poor starting issue is resolved.

RPG