IGNORED

Eastern Seaboard Ride(Pic Heavy)

RT5HTP

Just returned a couple of days ago from my Eastern Seaboard trip. It was a great ride that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was a little worried about weather(Hurricanes Irma/Jose, but all worked out fine. I'll start by saying, I love being on a motorcycle, period. There is no better feeling than being a a bike, especially on back roads where I have never previously traveled. On long-distance trips, I almost feel like the bike is an appendage...almost part of me. Yup, I'm weird! :) I know that we all have our riding styles and preferences when on a long distance ride. My preference is to spend as many hours on the bike as possible during daylight hours. I do stop and take pictures when moved by a particular scene, however. I love capturing these moments and referring back to these pictures over time. It brings that excitement associated with being on the road. Generally speaking, I'm off the saddle at gas stops and for snacks(usually at the gas station quick-marts). My food cocktail usually consists of Snickers bars, Cliff Bars, Gatorade, water and the Starbucks (bottled) frappaccionos. Not a great road-diet, but that's how it is. I may have an occasional sit down meal at night, buts the eve's/nights are usually reserved for unpacking, sprucing up the bike, journaling my day and getting organized for the following day.

Anyway, I shoved off from Newburyport MA on Sunday, 9/17 and took the interstates to Front Royal VA. It threatened rain off/on for most of the day, but nothing materialzed.

Heading North to South

Just Prior to Leaving Home:

DSC_0257_zpstwwokxrz.jpg

Budget Inn Front Roayl VA:

DSC_0263_zps2zaick0h.jpg

Under My Pillow at Budget Inn: DSC_0272_zpsempriuhd.jpg

On My Night Stand Upon Awakeing the Next Day: DSC_0276_zps37s3ued6.jpg

Skyline Drive:

DSC_0279_zps2kthajvt.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsg5qdptdf.jpg

DSC_0304_zps4ytmfaey.jpg

DSC_0329_zpsz6l7itwr.jpg

DSC_0332_zpsi1qxrd7d.jpg

DSC_0334_zpsjrrmawku.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsi72tsjcn.jpg

DSC_0349_zpsfjarqcvw.jpg

DSC_0351_zpspfwj5lgq.jpg

Back Roads Through VA-NC-SC-GA to Northern Tip of FL:

DSC_0352_zpsrdjxltkb.jpg

DSC_0364_zpsfat0vw6h.jpg

DSC_0366_zpsngswk9jd.jpg

DSC_0376_zpsrigqw67t.jpg

"Scuffletown Road...Gotta Love it!:

DSC_0380_zpstqkmvtvb.jpg

DSC_0386_zpsnsey99zd.jpg

DSC_0391_zpshjzq7q39.jpg

DSC_0396_zpsdyblpy8n.jpg

DSC_0400_zpsmlhias7o.jpg

DSC_0402_zps85c3fati.jpg

DSC_0420_zpshyx9momz.jpg

Where I stopped After Being Stricken by Love Bugs!

DSC_0424_zpsuw8vfh07.jpg

No Statesboro Blues for Me!

DSC_0428_zps3jhyw4nr.jpg

A Stately Home For Sale in Statesboro: DSC_0429_zpsdooclv5r.jpg

Southeastern GA...Irma, I Suppose: DSC_0436_zpsaie4esp7.jpg

Just Over the RT 17 Brige in FL:

DSC_0443_zpsyqdhbyhy.jpg

DSC_0457_zpssk7cija4.jpg

Heading Back North Again Via the COAST

A Bridge That I Believe Was in in FL?(picture taken from north side of bridge): DSC_0464_zpsidddn22y.jpg

Port of Darien, GA:

DSC_0471_zpsiyknwppy.jpg

Wormsloe Hisorical Site- Savannah(from the outside/closed):

DSC_0503_zpswalmsggh.jpg

My First Krispy Kreme(Savannah):

DSC_0506_zpsrixpmlyv.jpg

23A27EE0-CD1A-41E6-BF33-25813CF003CC_zpsafubo8ie.jpg

BA36B7D8-C132-418F-BB65-78F2EF3CF482_zpsux7by9nv.jpg

Cathedral of St. John the Baptist(Savannah):

Nice Street in Charleston SC:

0BF84375-3ACE-4924-A013-30CF4F038F35_zpshnbxzpsm.jpg

Boone Hall Plantation/Gardens(Charleston):

95E3EC3F-99E3-4D44-91D0-2B1DCE506FCB_zpspocs9hwx.jpg

30C43157-9C70-4DEF-8C1C-10D06E260B80_zps296ikech.jpg

DSC_0561_zpsqdjihggl.jpg

Near Hertford NC(Looked like an Eagle from afar):

DSC_0586_zpsbq3mcws6.jpg

This (above) day, I rode from Wilmington NC to Wilmington DE. I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge which was absolutely awesome! The following day, I took the inetrstates back to MA via NJ Tpk/NYC. I hit some rain (just sprinkles) during the last couple of hours of the ride(the only rain I hit during the entire trip!). Overall, the weather was VERY hot/muggy, especially in the south. With all of my gear on, I was sweltering. For a short period, I rode with just a t-shirt and it felt great! Heated gear- not needed at all. Although I have done numerous long distance trips, I have overpacked for every one of them! I promise, this will never happen again- yeah, right :) Also, I have brought camping gear on every trip and I've never camped once. Next(and subsequent) trips- no camping gear. It will lessen the load.

As far as the bike goes, this was the first test, given that it's a new 17' The RT can ride all day long, handles great and did excellent on interstates/back roads/twisties... The only negative (and I'm sure it's me) is that I can't get the RT to shift smoothly between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gears. Just seems choppy and clunky. Add-ons that truly saved me were the Werks Quiet ride windshield(awesome), Aeroflow Aerowings wind deflectors, Ilium Highway Pegs(mounted to Ilium Bars) and switching between the Alaskan Sheep Skin Pad and Freedom Air Cushion. Despite using the sheep skin and air cushion, my rump roast was not a happy camper! Russel Day Long seat, here I come!My next trip (2018) will likely be San Diego to home (MA) via the Gulf Coast.

Great pics! :thumbsup: Gross bug pics but the PSA about them is appreciated. :clap: If you don't mind, where are you uploading your pictures to show them here? Photobucket is being unreasonable IMO.

Pat

Pat, I agree that Photobucket is unreasonable but so far, they are the only place that I can actually posts pics from succesfully and easily. Dropbox just wouldn't work for me.