IGNORED

R1200RT 2008 error code. 27B7

LikeBikes

I have been repairing my R1200RT but after clearing the codes I get the same error popping up again. The bike now runs great and there is no engine light on the dash.

The code I am getting is.

Code 27B7 amplifier Electric Fuel Pump

The pump controller is in place and the wiring is correct it has not been 'jumped' out. My understanding is that if the Fuel Pump Controller has gone the bike won't run.

Advice appreciated.

Pete

I have been repairing my R1200RT but after clearing the codes I get the same error popping up again. The bike now runs great and there is no engine light on the dash.

The pump controller is in place and the wiring is correct it has not been 'jumped' out. My understanding is that if the Fuel Pump Controller has gone the bike won't run.

Advice appreciated.

Pete

Morning Pete

If your fuel pump controller is GONE then if definitely won't run without jumping the pump. But if the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) is only malfunctioning then it could run the engine, maybe OK, or maybe poorly, or possibly occasionally.

I don't list that Code 27B7 failure code for the BMW 1200 boxer (that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though) but a Code 27B7 code is a somewhat common code associated with automobiles & a low voltage on the output side of the fuel pump controller or fuel pump relay. (are you by chance using an automotive scanner on that bike?)

If you have a low fin silver FPC on that bike then you probably should replace it, even if it isn't bad now those can quit at any time.

If your 1200 bike has the later high fin "black" FPC then those seldom if ever fail.

Advice appreciated.

Pete

Morning Pete

If your fuel pump controller is GONE then if definitely won't run without jumping the pump. But if the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) is only malfunctioning then it could run the engine, maybe OK, or maybe poorly, or possibly occasionally.

I don't list that Code 27B7 failure code for the BMW 1200 boxer (that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though) but a Code 27B7 code is a somewhat common code associated with automobiles & a low voltage on the output side of the fuel pump controller or fuel pump relay. (are you by chance using an automotive scanner on that bike?)

If you have a low fin silver FPC on that bike then you probably should replace it, even if it isn't bad now those can quit at any time.

If your 1200 bike has the later high fin "black" FPC then those seldom if ever fail.

My bike seems to run fine, it just seems to be throwing a code. I am using a Bikescan 100 which is specially for all BMW Motorcycles 2000-2017. It is German but comes multi-lingual. It does all the BMW stuff, besides diagnostic and live data you can reset the time, service interval etc., turn the petrol pump on and off, turn the injectors off individually, reset the idle, loads of things.

Thanks

Pete

I have bought a black FPC new on eBay off someone who bought it for the eventuality of a breakdown on tour but never used it. Very cheap. $60.

Pete

I have bought a black FPC new on eBay off someone who bought it for the eventuality of a breakdown on tour but never used it. Very cheap. $60.

Pete

Morning Pete

That is a good move, let us know if your code goes away after new FPC installed?

I did finally find a code 27B8 listed & that was for FPC output error (I don't know what the difference is between a 27B7 & a 27B8 though).

Edited by dirtrider

Dear All

I got around to fitting the new FPC controller yesterday and it cleared the code.

In addition the bike does run differently. It has always been quite noisy making a bit of a rattling sound when hot and feeling a bit harsh. Nothing that I was worried about as other people have said they all sound a bit noisy compared to a Japanese 4. Also a 1200 twin isn't exactly a recipe for smoothness. The bike also has quite a lot of miles @ 62k.

The bike runs more quietly and also smoother, revs more freely and feels more torquey. The temperature also looks a bit lower. I'm guessing it was running weak.

This has surprised me as I have read that the bike would not run with a faulty FPC, This is obviously not correct. I have also read that jumping out the FPC does not affect the running of the bike this is also incorrect.

Thanks for your help

Pete