IGNORED

Bent the locking tang on my top box (fixed, just sharing)

avu3

I learned something today. Most of you probably already know this. Or maybe something is amiss on my bike.

I was shuffling my load around before heading home tonight, and I locked my top box closed with the orange tang in the locked/showing position, but with the handles open.

Apparently, it's not designed to do that. It bent the plastic surround in, and in the process bent the tang about 15 degrees so it wouldn't go back in the "open" position so I could close the top of the box.

I didn't have any idea what was wrong, and I was in a strange public lot, so I couldn't really work on it. I shuffled my load around and used my net to hold the lid closed for the ride home.

When I got home, I was able to work through it and figure out what was wrong. After bending the tab back straight with pliers, I realized the plastic was pushed in. I used a dental type pick and screwdriver to get that back out where it belongs.

The end result is everything seems ok now, which is good because I have a long ride to another work function tomorrow and was not looking forward to driving.

The lesson seems to be. don't lock your top box without having the lid handle closed (lid closed or not)

Scott

A lot of us bleeding edgers found out roughly the same thing about the side cases. On my 94 RS and I think the 95 GS the locking tangs weren't painted orange yet...hilarity at the dealerships ensued.

Bimmer-Biker

New Member - I have a top box that all of a sudden I cannot get the handles to close completely and the key will no longer turn. Feels like the locking mechanism is somehow stuck inside the housing and since it is closed with rivets I don't seem to have a way to open the housing up without f-g it up.

New Member - I have a top box that all of a sudden I cannot get the handles to close completely and the key will no longer turn. Feels like the locking mechanism is somehow stuck inside the housing and since it is closed with rivets I don't seem to have a way to open the housing up without f-g it up.

It sounds as if the orange tang is already deformed. You may have to apply a little effort turning the key whilst manipulating the handles. The latch may then rotate out and you can then 'true' it up correctly.

The deformation is generally caused by trying to fold the handles down when the key is already in the locked position so the handles bear against the tang. If you are not too heavy handed you can feel the resistance and stop before the tang is bent too far.