IGNORED

No Nav 5 GPS Audio on '14 RT

MotoBones

Hello, all. On my 2014 R1200RT, there is no GPS audio (turn by turn prompts or button sounds). It worked previously.

- All other audio sources on the bike work, only GPS audio doesn't work.

- GPS prompts and button sounds are enabled in Settings but there are no sounds. I've turned these off and on, to no effect.

- Mute is not selected via the Nav V itself or via the Audio menu on the RT. I've turned both of these mute controls off and on, to no effect.

- My Sena 20S pairs fine with the bike and my phone and anything else I have paired it with. Nothing suggests the 20S is the problem, particularly since I can hear audio (except GPS) via the bike's OEM speakers with the 20S out of the equation.

- Sound levels on the GPS are at 100%. I've tried these at lower volume settings as well, to no effect.

- Nav V has latest firmware.

- 20S has the latest firmware (not that it matters, but it does).

- Dealer replaced the GPS cradle, to no effect.

Thoughts on how to get GPS audio to work? Thanks.

I discovered when I first got my WetHead 2/14 that that Nav V wasn't sending out the audio as you describe. I found by pushing the audio button to mute then unmute the audio it worked, worth a try.

Jay

I just dug into the knowledge base here and found the pairing method I used when I first got the bike:

Sena > RT

Nav V > Sena

Phone > Nav V

This works. (!!) However, it doesn't allow for voice dialing, which I much prefer to using the Nav V to manage the phone. And for the past couple years I did that, by pairing like this:

Phone > Sena

Sena > RT

Paired like this, I simply push the Phone button on the Sena to access the Google App and I say, "Call Steve" and bingo, Steve's phone is ringing. I can also ask Google for the weather in Boston, or for number of the nearest pizza shop, or whatever else. This is simple and pairs up seamlessly every time I fire up the bike. It picks up the GPS audio from the bike and the Sena layers it above music or radio, so instead of music getting cut off it just fades a bit into the background.

Anyway, it worked great until I updated the firmware in the Nav V. Now this method no longer provides GPS audio, whether via the Sena or with the Sena turned off and the audio going to the OEM speakers instead. GPS audio is still being generated (I can get it if I pair the Sena to the Nav V) but I have to use the cumbersome method above and forego the convenience and safety improvement of voice dialing.

Garmin says it's the Sena's fault, however I can unpair the Sena from everything and shut it down and still not get GPS audio from the Nav V. In fact, it seems the ONLY way to get GPS audio is to use the Sena.

I had a simple approach that worked for a long time and then (silly me) I updated Garmin firmware and POOF that simple approach no longer works.

Found this on another BMW forum...

---------------------

This is for bikes with the Nav V and factory installed GPS prep package.

1. Bike has been sitting for at least a few minutes with the key off.

2. Turn bike back on and GPS wakes up.

3. Go to the menu command "speak" and activate, nothing happens. Load up a route and no voice instructions are available.

4. Go to menu command "mute" and turn mute on.

5. Hit "mute" command again to turn the mute off.

6. Go to menu command "speak" and the GPS voice works as normal or simply ride off and the voice commands work as normal.

This is very consistent and does it each and every time the bike sits for a while. In other words, any time I start the bike up after sitting for a bit there are no voice commands until I "mute" and "unmute" the GPS and then it works perfect...until I turn the bike off again....

---------------------

I added a MUTE soft button to the Nav V map screen. PITA, but it works.

Found this on another BMW forum...

---------------------

This is for bikes with the Nav V and factory installed GPS prep package.

1. Bike has been sitting for at least a few minutes with the key off.

2. Turn bike back on and GPS wakes up.

3. Go to the menu command "speak" and activate, nothing happens. Load up a route and no voice instructions are available.

4. Go to menu command "mute" and turn mute on.

5. Hit "mute" command again to turn the mute off.

6. Go to menu command "speak" and the GPS voice works as normal or simply ride off and the voice commands work as normal.

This is very consistent and does it each and every time the bike sits for a while. In other words, any time I start the bike up after sitting for a bit there are no voice commands until I "mute" and "unmute" the GPS and then it works perfect...until I turn the bike off again....

---------------------

I added a MUTE soft button to the Nav V map screen. PITA, but it works.

Yea this is what I wrote earlier. This issue went away for me but today is a new day...

Jay