BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#998056 - 09/30/17 01:21 AM Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work.  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Our IT Guru, Matt Banks, has upgraded the UBBthreads software. Yes, everything looks different and, as is to be expected with a major upgrade like this, some things don't work right yet. For example, some of the Forum Style templates (like GREEN) that some have been using (including me) don't work. I went with UBBthreads-stock for now. Later, I'll see about picking a favorite.

Also, some favorite buttons have been moved, and there are some new buttons and features we will all be able to play with soon, such as an improved mobile version of the site. But for now, please bear with us as we work to get the basics settled. Matt, as well as your Admin Team, are on it. But we also have jobs and families, so this won't be an overnight thing.

Meanwhile, enjoy exploring a little. If you come across something that doesn't quite work right yet, just list it below. As time and manpower permit, we should be able to address many of the items.

Oh, and you may need to go into Preferences and reset a few things other than just the Style template. Take your time. We're on a new road and it's all going to be good.

Thank you all for your cooperation and patience.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#998061 - 09/30/17 02:59 AM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: EffBee]  
MarkAZ Offline
MarkAZ  Offline

Arizona
Clicking 'Mark All Read' at the bottom of the page just brings up a blank page and doesn't seem to mark all read. I'm running Chrome 60.something under macOS 10.13. It worked fine before the upgrade. Haven't noticed anything else so far.

Upgrades are always fun... wink

Gilbert, AZ
2004 R1150RT
BMW MOA 181289
#998066 - 09/30/17 05:44 AM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: EffBee]  
mnTwin Offline
mnTwin  Offline

Twin Cities, MN
The 'favicon' has switched to the default UBB instead of the custom one for BMWST. (The favicon is the tiny icon that shows up in the web browser tab.)

#998069 - 09/30/17 11:26 AM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: EffBee]  
pmurphy Offline
pmurphy  Offline

Manchester,NH
Active threads has a completely different personality. The previous one presented a list of topics (which I found easier to review).

#998092 - 09/30/17 08:05 PM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: pmurphy]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
I notice a couple changes, though I will not characterize these as problems. I realize that the upgrade creates a need for some tweaking, and these are minor differences, possibly only noticeable to myself.

"Quick Reply" and "Quick Quote" are gone, which I did not use, though "Quick Quote" was helpful when we had the high-ASCII problem.

"Reply" now defaults to Quick Reply and requires an additional click to get to the full editor. I preferred the old behavior, as I seldom create a post without using some feature of the full editor.

I miss the lines separating thread topics, they helped me look across the screen for those with new posts.

Not a change, but something at BMWST that is different from all other forums: When creating links in a post, I am accustomed to typing a sentence, highlighting the portion to be a link, and then clicking the link option in the editor menu to enter the URL. The editor here requires clicking the link option, entering the URL, and then entering the link title. Not a major difference, but somehow I always seem to stumble on it when I'm creating a post, as it seems to disrupt my train of thought.

I do want to thank the administrators for the software update, as the lack of high-ASCII characters was clearly a problem.

Aspiring to follow in the footsteps of a great man, "I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess."

Last edited by lkraus; 09/30/17 08:10 PM.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#998096 - 09/30/17 09:22 PM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: MarkAZ]  
ltljohn Offline
ltljohn  Offline

Haycock, PA
Originally Posted by MarkAZ
Clicking 'Mark All Read' at the bottom of the page just brings up a blank page and doesn't seem to mark all read. I'm running Chrome 60.something under macOS 10.13. It worked fine before the upgrade. Haven't noticed anything else so far.

I get the same running firefox and win10

A few new things to get used to but over all it is still better than other forums I am on. Keep up the good work.

"I've received many honors but I've already received the highest award I'll ever receive, and that has been the privilege and honor of serving proudly in the United States Navy." RADM Grace Hopper

#998102 - 09/30/17 10:38 PM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: ltljohn]  
TheOtherLee Offline
TheOtherLee  Offline

Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
Posting to a thread automatically added it to my watched threads — ¡bravo!

Last edited by TheOtherLee; 09/30/17 10:40 PM.

Channeling farfegnugen since 2011.
#998334 - 10/04/17 12:38 PM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: MarkAZ]  
LittleBriar Offline
Newer Member
LittleBriar  Offline
Newer Member

Same problem with Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on Windows 10 pro.
Thanks for your efforts, Love the forum.

'16 R1200RT
#998341 - 10/04/17 02:36 PM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: lkraus]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by lkraus

Not a change, but something at BMWST that is different from all other forums: When creating links in a post, I am accustomed to typing a sentence, highlighting the portion to be a link, and then clicking the link option in the editor menu to enter the URL. The editor here requires clicking the link option, entering the URL, and then entering the link title. Not a major difference, but somehow I always seem to stumble on it when I'm creating a post, as it seems to disrupt my train of thought.

As an amusing, to me, counter point, I have the opposite problem - probably because this was the first forum I regularly posted on - when I'm somewhere else, like ADV where I've been posting a lot lately in our ongoing ride report. Over there, almost every time, I click the "link" icon first and then realize I can't do anything with is because I haven't highlighted (or even written yet) anything to turn into the link.

*insert witty remark here*
#998349 - 10/04/17 04:29 PM Re: Software has been upgraded. Now comes making it work. [Re: LittleBriar]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted by LittleBriar

Same problem with Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on Windows 10 pro.
Thanks for your efforts, Love the forum.

yup. were working on this issue.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6