IGNORED

R1200S non firing both cylinders

David Wren

gooday'e i have a R1200S and not having a license at the moment the bike has been un ridden for 4 years not by choice i assure you, anyway i put a new freshly charged battery to restart the engine after all this time thinking once a fresh kick from the starter it will fire and engine start humming as i'm used to and was certainly the case last time i rode it, having had much experience of beemers over the years having had R1100S, R80s i'm well familiar with the mechanical gremlins and how to discover most problems and work out a solution, however this has got me stumped and without a computer analysis diagnostic tool nor the ability to take the bike anywhere because i live in the country away from any dealer or BMW motorcycle mechanic near abouts i'm putting a question and plea for help from anyone that may be cognizant of such an issue and any solutions, I've done most the basic checks i can think check both cylinders for spark and none, i would be grateful if anyone online may have time or knowledge to assist me, cheers

Morning David

I'm afraid we are going to need a lot more information about your problem to be of much help to you over the internet.

You say no spark but no mention on how fast the engine cranks over (slow engine cranking could lower the system voltage enough to prevent sparking)

What year R1200S are you working with?

Are you getting 12v power TO the coils?

What is the measured battery voltage during engine cranking?

Tell us more about your bike & what you have tested & we can hopefully provide more precise help.

. ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..

...... . . . . . . . .

Here, I have more punctuation available than I need, take all you need. Or cut a few tails off those commas so we do not need to guess what you are trying to say. We are happy to help, but YOU also need to put forth a little effort.

gooday'e thank you for replying , other than the fact there is no spark from the leads, everything else appears as is normal, with a new battery, cranking speed is normal, i haven't put a voltmeter on the terminals to asses voltage because i haven;t located on of the test leads and i don;t think that is a factor, however if you think otherwise i'll get a reading, it is a 2006, i had a similar problem with my R1100S some years ago and it turned out it was one of the ht leads, i thought this to be similar, i have never had a situation with this bike wherein i have no spark from both cylinders and i am at a loss without computer analysis where else i may look, i'm not aware of whether the computer can be responsible for the timing or the spark and if being unconnected to any power for these years if it needs a type of rebooting and if i have any requirement to have a key i had replaced thru bmw after misplacing original if it need a reset before it will operate the ignition circuit. All i have tested is what i know to test looked at fuses checked switches in right position checked fuel pump working and spark on both cylinders by removing plugs and cranking the engine, i can;t think if i have missed any of the basics i would check on a bike with or without a computer and nothing of response,i was wondering iof a new key may have something to do with iot, i will contact a locaL and ask for advice from the service department, if you can assist me with any other checks i can make then please i'm interested, thank you

thanks Larry, i have no idea what your talking about with commas i don't know how to write without using grammar, i didn't think it a forum for checking people on grammar, if you can;t read or understand what i have written how do i write in more simplisticl terms if the facts as i presented them aren't enough to be understood and what effort do you think you want from me i have described what i know of my situation, with the limited resources i have, what do you suggest if anything

gooday'e thank you for replying , other than the fact there is no spark from the leads, everything else appears as is normal, with a new battery, cranking speed is normal, i haven't put a voltmeter on the terminals to asses voltage because i haven;t located on of the test leads and i don;t think that is a factor, however if you think otherwise i'll get a reading, it is a 2006, i had a similar problem with my R1100S some years ago and it turned out it was one of the ht leads, i thought this to be similar, i have never had a situation with this bike wherein i have no spark from both cylinders and i am at a loss without computer analysis where else i may look, i'm not aware of whether the computer can be responsible for the timing or the spark and if being unconnected to any power for these years if it needs a type of rebooting and if i have any requirement to have a key i had replaced thru bmw after misplacing original if it need a reset before it will operate the ignition circuit. All i have tested is what i know to test looked at fuses checked switches in right position checked fuel pump working and spark on both cylinders by removing plugs and cranking the engine, i can;t think if i have missed any of the basics i would check on a bike with or without a computer and nothing of response,i was wondering iof a new key may have something to do with iot, i will contact a locaL and ask for advice from the service department, if you can assist me with any other checks i can make then please i'm interested, thank you

Afternoon David

Do you have any warning on your dash like EWS? If you have an EWS you will never get a spark.

You mention a new key? If you have a new key has your bike's computer been re-programed to read the electronic pellet in the new key.

Otherwise make sure a mouse or rodent hasn't chewed through your wiring.

If it is cranking over fairly fast then you probably have enough battery voltage & current to allow a good spark.

Answer the above key & EWS questions then we will move on to some troubleshooting.

Edited by dirtrider

gooday'e D.R thank you for your reply, i have a new key which i wasn't aware had a need to have any programming, i am going to check further re the key it's the only thing that has changed since i last rode the bike approx 4 years ago,it's not original key, the dash indicates a DWA! which i'm not aware what the code is i'm going to call a bmw dealer and ask. The thing that intrigues me is the key, that's the only thing new, hasn't run since i replaced key, only had battery in last 2 weeks, there's no rush i need to move bike as i haven't my license back until may 18 i'm in no rush, it's a mystery i can't explain, i'm used to sorting things myself, i think that the key as i said may be not booted or whatever it needs to identify it's connection, it's too much of a coincidence that 2 leads have no spark all at once, one cylinder i'd understand not 2, what are your thoughts is the key in your opinion a possibility, thanks for your info, cheers mate

gooday'e D.R thank you for your reply, i have a new key which i wasn't aware had a need to have any programming, i am going to check further re the key it's the only thing that has changed since i last rode the bike approx 4 years ago,it's not original key, the dash indicates a DWA! which i'm not aware what the code is i'm going to call a bmw dealer and ask. The thing that intrigues me is the key, that's the only thing new, hasn't run since i replaced key, only had battery in last 2 weeks, there's no rush i need to move bike as i haven't my license back until may 18 i'm in no rush, it's a mystery i can't explain, i'm used to sorting things myself, i think that the key as i said may be not booted or whatever it needs to identify it's connection, it's too much of a coincidence that 2 leads have no spark all at once, one cylinder i'd understand not 2, what are your thoughts is the key in your opinion a possibility, thanks for your info, cheers mate

Morning David

We might be getting somewhere on this.

If you have a new key then it probably needs to be programmed into the bike's computer system. (at least on USA bikes it does)

That DWA is also troublesome as the DWA (diebstahlwarnanlage) is the bike's anti theft system. DWA showing on the dash usually signifies a dead battery in the anti-theft system. This might also disable the bike from starting (I presume that your bike has an anti theft system installed?)

I don't have much knowledge on the Australian anti-theft systems so won't be of much help to you on that part.

About all I can suggest is to remove the rear seat then try unplugging the anti-theft box (usually the very rear module under rear seat) then see if it will start or at least your DWA goes away & you then get an EWS warning.

gooday'e D.R thanks for your sound advice as i discovered myself speaking to my dealer in Sydney what you know that it's the alarm battery, i'm going to do as you described haven't lifted the rear seat since I've had the bike, that's if you could call it a seat, I've never had a pillion on it and wouldn't think it'd make a nice perch, i'm going to re-trim both my seats before i get back on them road anyway, they're certainly weathered, i digress somewhat, thanks D.R i appreciate the sound advice and knowledge, hows things in Ohio re the key i was told it would be the code you mentioned first i mentioned it, so key not an issue, i assume the alarm not working kills the ignition demobilize in circuit so once the battery sorted hopefully will get spark, that's the way i believe the solution is, as with every situation methodically thanks very much wive learn t the Internet has a use cheers mate, all the best, I'll let you know how i get on, what's your name i'm aware your a keen dirt rider,i love it myself haven't done it for some years first bike i had at 16 was a yamaha dt 250A 250S nice and light to move around on so much more fun on trails than the last bike i moved rode on a trail, way too heavy a dr 650 suzuki i'll get myself a little 250 when i get my license back i, don't know what it's like in the states, but we have to have a license to take a bike on trails, and now I've made the great move out of the city to rolling countryside great for road riding as well as dirt it's a thing i look forward to doing again, what about yourself, are you in an area where you can do something similar, i just realized this is a tech help site not a chat so cheers from oz.don't want to upset the standards,. just when i get to a motorcycle enthusiast it unleashes my passion and i have to be plugged, i'm a bit of a junkie myself and being without the legal right to ride the best bike I've ever ridden i am truly keen to get back on it because their are windy roads at my doorstep and all around this area of nsw,cheers mate

Afternoon David

I'm still not 100% sure that you don't also have a key coding issue (hopefully not). It's possible that the DWA failure showing is preventing the EWS from showing so you m-i-g-h-t get a new EWS showing once you get the DWA failure sorted out.

gooda'ye D.R

i have yet to check the alarm battery, is that an issue you've heard of before, once i look at that i'll see what else if any arise, i hope it's only one thing, i'll let you know, cheers

Gooda'ye Robin, have you had a similar issue with a beemer, i'm in Carcoar nsw, not sure gs -911 what marque bike, do any other threads mention immobilizer if it cuts ignition

A 911 is the interface device that lets you connect a laptop to the bike. It spits out an alarm report.

The racing is on this week-end near you. Maybe wander into Bathurst, look for a group of BMW's bikes.

I'll bet the NSW BMW touring club is doing a run out to the racing for the week-end.

They'd probably be able to help you out.

Mine doesn't have an immobiliser but I believe the thing has internal batteries.

gooda'ye D.R

i have yet to check the alarm battery, is that an issue you've heard of before, once i look at that i'll see what else if any arise, i hope it's only one thing, i'll let you know, cheers

Evening David

A dead alarm battery (Only) shouldn't keep the bike from starting (at least on a USA bike)-- BUT, if the alarm was set before the battery went dead then it might prevent the bike from starting until the battery is replaced & the alarm un-set.

I really can't comment on how the BMW alarm operates in your country as different countries have different immobilizer & alarm function requirements.

You might try contracting a BMW dealer in your country to have them explain how the alarm system operates in your country.

I do believe that if you unplug the alarm box (should be under rear seat) that should prevent the alarm from immobilizing & allow engine operation (I think anyhow).

hi RobinW thanks for the reply i saw something on the internet sometime back, looked very useful tool to have for computer monitored bikes, this being the second,the first was R1100S before that carburetor fitted R80's, do you mind giving me your appraisal, are they able to diagnose and repair issues arising in the system non mechanical, i always thought it would be great to have a tool that analyses and is able to improve efficiency and performance tweeking a device such as the 911, funny for a moment i thought you were referring to something to do with Porche, if you have a moment i'd appreciate your opinion on the usefulness, being as it's BMW i'd imagine it ticks all the boxes, cheers

To be honest, they are wildly over priced. I just looked and the new version is almost US$400.

http://www.gs911usa.com/index.html

I got one a few years back when we did a US east coast visit.

Ted sent it to our New York hotel so I could carry it home.

That saved a small fortune in shipping.

I bought a code reader for my 4 wheeled BMW for AU$50 and it don't need a laptop attached.

Gooday'e D.R

i took batteries out of alarm unit, first after unplugging unit i turned it over and it fired once thought it'd run, however i think the battery didn't have enough charge so will let you know outcome once fully charged again cheers

i didn't have the cylinders fire after a full charge and still get DWA code, i assume that is going to be so until i change one of the batteries in what i assume is the alarm unit under the seat, i'll wait until then to progress, in your opinion is the 911 worth having i'm curious for the cost is it what you expect it to be does it do everything you want and is it easy to use