Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#998631 - 10/08/17 12:42 AM Re: Stickcoils-ectomy - Yes or No? [Re: Imgnr]  
Imgnr Offline
Imgnr  Offline

Los Angeles
Great news! One of the plugs to the coil was messed up (scraped half way off from the PO crashing it) and as a result broke the connection where the connector is. I tried soldering it. Not a great job but it works. The other side had an issue a little further up the loom before it meets with all the other wires. Did not even have to take the tank off.

Took the bike for a 54 mile run of PCH through Malibu and back. A lot of stop and go traffic and splitting lanes combined with hilly terrain. I got 32 mpg which is not great but much better than what I was getting.

I did get the supplies to run the 2nd relay and will tackle that some other day for when I have to pull the tank off. I'll do it the right way and follow Roger's direction about going to the bundle.

BTW, does anyone have a parts bike and is willing to send me just the plug that goes into the stick coil? Mine does not lock because the tab was scraped off when the PO crashed it. I've been holding it into the coil with two zip ties. I know, my bike is a POS but it's now a running POS.

No sparkenzie BMW but learning...
#998645 - 10/08/17 01:28 PM Re: Stickcoils-ectomy - Yes or No? [Re: Imgnr]  
AZgman Offline
AZgman  Offline

AZ
BMW sells that as a "repair wire", or, if you know someone in the electronics industry, they may be able to cross it to a standard plug. Glad you found the root cause.

2017 R1200GS
#998647 - 10/08/17 02:04 PM Re: Stickcoils-ectomy - Yes or No? [Re: Imgnr]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Imgnr

BTW, does anyone have a parts bike and is willing to send me just the plug that goes into the stick coil? Mine does not lock because the tab was scraped off when the PO crashed it. I've been holding it into the coil with two zip ties. I know, my bike is a POS but it's now a running POS.

Morning Imgnr

As mentioned BMW does sell a stick coil repair pig tail but they retail for around $136.00 ea. I have a large collection of Bosch & BMW connectors & those stick coil connectors are kind of an outlier as to matching up to a common connector.

If you shop E-Bay you can sometimes find a late 2003/2004 full bike harness that has the upper stick coil connectors for $40.00- $50.00 (you might need to be patient to get those prices)

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#998655 - 10/08/17 05:02 PM Re: Stickcoils-ectomy - Yes or No? [Re: Imgnr]  
Imgnr Offline
Imgnr  Offline

Los Angeles
Thank you all for your help. No rush on the connector since it's working. Here's the bike on today's ride up PCH - 2 days in a row. Did not check mileage yet. Lots of new BMWs along the way but none looking like mine (or as beat up)!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No sparkenzie BMW but learning...
#1001979 - 12/05/17 10:33 AM Re: Stickcoils-ectomy - Yes or No? [Re: Imgnr]  
Craig G. Offline
Newer Member
Craig G.  Offline
Newer Member

I tripped upon this thread while researching a cause/cure for a low idle speed problem I'm having with a recently purchased '04 RT.

Just wanted to give Roger a big +1 on his 2nd load relay suggestion... this RT did not have the factory installed 2nd relay and adding it made a significant improvement in starting and idle speed. The idle when warm is still not what it needs to be but I'm working on it.

As an aside - its a bit alarming to me that after all the effort (and time) put into responding to the OP the root cause of this problem was a stick coil connector that was "scraped half way off from the PO crashing it" and another condition that was found visually. It's a reminder for all to put some effort into self-diagnosing a problem before enlisting the troops.... we might burn them out.

Last edited by Craig G.; 12/05/17 10:35 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4