IGNORED

Turn Signal

I have a 2017 R1200RT and the turn signal stays on to long. Anyway to adjust this or do I keep doing it manually?

Afternoon Bob

You dealer should be able to hook the bike to his computer then change the time & distance setting on the turn signal cancel.

As a rule (personally) I usually just turn the auto cancel off altogether, OR, if that isn't possible then set the cancel to max time & miles then manually cancel as I have done my entire riding life.

One thing about having it set to max time & distance is you can use it as non canceling system but if by chance you do forget to manually cancel eventually it will self cancel.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have it set shorter it could get you hurt or killed if you are a balancer not a foot down sort of rider.

I had a few close-call issues with my 1200RT when I first got it as the factory T/S cancel time/distance was set too short for my riding style. I am a balancer & seldom place a foot down when waiting to make a L/H turn so my turn signals would occasionally time out & cancel just as I started my L/H turn. On coming cars would see that as me aborting the turn so would pull out or turn right in front of me.

I have a 2017 R1200RT and the turn signal stays on to long. Anyway to adjust this or do I keep doing it manually?

I'm with DR on this.

I personally think operating them manually is by far the best way to go.

Those self cancelling indicators have got me in to trouble a couple of times. When doing a long overtake along a road the indicators decided to turn themselves off long before I had completed the manouver, resulting in a few cars I was overtaking being less aware of my actions than they otherwise would (should) have been.

These are technology for technologies' sake and certainly removing rider skill and awareness form the riding experience. Fine on a commuter scooter, but not on a serious motorcycle!

+1 on what DR said!

I always turn them off manually, and prefers to keep them adjusted to maximum, since, like DR, I want to make sure that the signal stays on as long as I need it to stay on.

I'm with Bob on this one. Default is way too long. My experience has been the oposite where a forgotten signal invites a turn left / pull out in front of me issue. I have seen more than one shocked face from a cage driver who expected me to turn only to find I am taking evasive action because of a forgotten signal.

Half of the default settings would be more appropriate. I liked the Kissan Signal Minder on my ‘99 RT even though it was time only because it let you easily adjust the time out depending on the riding environment.

I'm going in for a service soon and will ask they adjust it.

Wish the BMW system was as sophisticated as the one on my friends Hawg where it It's off command is based on 3 variables. It uses the standard approach of time and distance which ever occurs last, but is overridden by lean angle coming out of a 90 turn.

I agree the self cancelling takes far too long to cancel on my 2017 RT.

I asked my dealer about it during my last service and was told there's nothing they can do about it or that they are already at their shortest setting - I can't remember which it was regardless, I've resorted to turning it off myself. I'd be curious what your dealer says.

In my opinion self canceling indicators are only to be used as a safety feature meaning if you forget to cancel the indicator it will. The indicator should only be active as long as it takes to complete your maneuver, turning left is longer then right, how many vehicles (one car or 5 tractor trailers) did you pass and at what speed? Your riding a motorcycle you need to be in the game push the button.

Jay

I agree the self cancelling takes far too long to cancel on my 2017 RT.

I asked my dealer about it during my last service and was told there's nothing they can do about it or that they are already at their shortest setting - I can't remember which it was regardless, I've resorted to turning it off myself. I'd be curious what your dealer says.

Morning Nobrakes

You have to force some dealers to take action as there is still a LOT of BMW dealers that have no idea that the turn signals are programmable. It isn't an easy setting to find as the setting is buried in under a couple of menus so not something they regularly run across.

In my opinion self canceling indicators are only to be used as a safety feature meaning if you forget to cancel the indicator it will. The indicator should only be active as long as it takes to complete your maneuver, turning left is longer then right, how many vehicles (one car or 5 tractor trailers) did you pass and at what speed? Your riding a motorcycle you need to be in the game push the button.

Jay

Straying a bit from the post about turn signal programing flexibility but I'll go there. Not sure I follow your position on a couple of points.

I do not believe the assumption is valid that a missed cancellation of a turn signal is proof that one's head is not in the game. Humans are error prone and even those who are highly trained still will make errors. I suspect a fairly common situation where a rider might fail to remember to turn off the signal is in a moment of task saturation, when flood of information on a number of threats being processed at the same time and cancelling the turn signal is forgotten while ones head was very much in the game.

The other is the logic that the automated feature is only for safety and the system is correctly set up when it has a long self cancellation timeout thereby requiring manual cancellation be done. The forgotten signal that stays on so long that drivers you encounter down the road don't necessarily know your signal to turn is not valid increases your risk of an accident. The BMW system remains on too far down the road to the point it virtually becomes a dumb on/off switch. The default parameters leaves the signal on for at least 40 seconds after your intended signal to a maneuver. I can push my RT through a city intersection faster than that and at 60 MPH cancellation is 2/3 of a mile away from the event. My experience with other MC brands that have used a time distance signal cancellation systems was they worked very well, neither canceling too soon, or staying on too long after a lane change or a turn. I'm happy to know that the self cancelling parameters are adjustable and will insist that they be adjusted at my next service.

Jay

Straying a bit from the post about turn signal programing flexibility but I'll go there. Not sure I follow your position on a couple of points.

I do not believe the assumption is valid that a missed cancellation of a turn signal is proof that one's head is not in the game. Humans are error prone and even those who are highly trained still will make errors. I suspect a fairly common situation where a rider might fail to remember to turn off the signal is in a moment of task saturation, when flood of information on a number of threats being processed at the same time and cancelling the turn signal is forgotten while ones head was very much in the game. [/color[Jay] I don't disagree, I'm guilty I've had riders ahead of me put out an arm and tap tap finger to thumb letting me know my signal was active. I'm saying cancel after each maneuver don't relay on self canceling signalling to do it for you. Self canceling in my option backs you up should you forget. Staying in the game in this case is not relying on self canceling but you intend to cancel the signal]

The other is the logic that the automated feature is only for safety and the system is correctly set up when it has a long self cancellation timeout thereby requiring manual cancellation be done. The forgotten signal that stays on so long that drivers you encounter down the road don't necessarily know your signal to turn is not valid increases your risk of an accident. The BMW system remains on too far down the road to the point it virtually becomes a dumb on/off switch. The default parameters leaves the signal on for at least 40 seconds after your intended signal to a maneuver. I can push my RT through a city intersection faster than that and at 60 MPH cancellation is 2/3 of a mile away from the event. My experience with other MC brands that have used a time distance signal cancellation systems was they worked very well, neither canceling too soon, or staying on too long after a lane change or a turn. I'm happy to know that the self cancelling parameters are adjustable and will insist that they be adjusted at my next service.

[/color [Jay] Good luck and I hope you stay safe]

Jay

Jay

+1. The timed cancel is a safety feature in case you forget to manually cancel. Manually cancelling becomes second nature just like turning your head when you hear the sound of high heels.

BMW, in the quest for the ultimate riding experience, has fitted "dummy resistant" turn signals, not self-canceling ones. They'll eventually turn off (10 seconds or 300 meters whichever comes first, IIRC) but you're really expected to push the button. The black-and-orange crowd has self-canceling ones that really work well.

You have to be going over 67 mph (110 kph) for them to turn off on distance instead of time.

I always try to manually cancel, and I seldom forget. But the probability of me forgetting to cancel them is directly proportional to the amount of time I've spent sitting waiting for a traffic light to change.