IGNORED

Windscreen for an R1200R (2008)

peterbulgar

On my way back home from viewing the eclipse in Nebraska the slave cylinder on my R1150R began leaking. I made it to BMW of Denver, where the tech pointed out that with 155k miles on the original clutch it would be silly to take off the back of the bike to replace the slave cylinder and not do the clutch as well. He also noticed that the accordion boot at the rear of the driveshaft was leaking, which may indicate a pending bearing failure. I really liked my R1150R, but with that many miles on the bike every long ride was becoming more of an adventure than I wanted. Fortunately, the shop had a 2008 R1200R that was being sold on consignment. It was outfitted with all the extras that I'd want, only had 8k miles on it, and had just had a major service performed at the shop and new tires. So, I rode home on the new R and couldn't be happier with the purchase - the last two days of the trip were 600 and 550 miles and I wasn't even tired at the end of the day.

The bike came with a CEE Bailey 22" windscreen mounted on the stock BMW windscreen supports. When I got home I ordered a 16" windscreen from CEE Bailey and planned to send the old screen back to have it shortened 2" - I'm a bit short-waisted and there is a little buffeting with the tall screen. I installed the new, shorter screen (it is dark smoke and looks very cool) and am happy with it, although it's a bit noisier than I'd like. My old R had a CEE Bailey short screen with the dip at the top that worked very well for me. Unfortunately, CEE Bailey no longer deals with motorcycle windscreens - my short screen must have been one of the last they built. They also no longer offer the service of shortening their screens. I'd rather not cut the screen down to size myself, and haven't had any luck finding a local place that will do the work for me, although I'll keep looking. I thought that I might just purchase a new screen, but Airflow doesn't make a screen for the R, and Ztechnik (Vstream - National Cycle) only sells screens that fit their own proprietary brackets.

Are there other companies that make screens that would fit the BMW supports? Does anyone know of a place in the SF Bay Area that will cut a windscreen down to size?

Thanks, Peter

I'd forgotten about Parabellum - thanks. It looks like the shortest screen they make for the R is 22", the same height as the one that came with the bike. For the time being I will just stay with what I have, but keep looking around. I don't like the looks of the tall screen, but I have to say that it is quiet and offers good protection at 80 mph on the Interstate. It's interesting that the official BMW accessory tall screen for my model is only 13" high - BMW must figure that if you want to go touring you should buy an RT. I have over 200k miles on my R75/5 with short bars and no screen at all, but most of those miles were put on when I was a lot younger.

peter

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy a longer ride and wind protection is everything to make that possible! I had an 02'RT that was quite the willing companion to that end! After 80K(miles), I was yearning for a bit more ZZZIIIPPP out of the oilhead lump(affectionately). My wifey and I attended the BMWRA Asheville Rally in 2008-9(?) and I saw the replacement for our RT, a Roadster with a Hannigan Fairing! It took another two years before the financial details were practical to make the purchase of a new 09' Roadster and then commit to Jerry Heil to build mine. It isn't inexpensive, but worth (to me) every dollar spent!

I spoke to Jerry about 6 months ago and sadly, he built and installed his last fairing in Dec.13'. He is looking for a buyer for his business, but while he hopes to find that person/company, he is keeping busy riding!!! He is, TRULY, an Ambassador of our riding sport!!!

I am new to this Forum. I will post some pic's of his work when I get a chance to.

• 1 month later...
Don_Eilenberger

There are some good threads on R1200R windshields on the R1200R specific forum at: http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20

Do some poking around there and you'll find that basically every windshield for the R1200R has been tried and discussed - and almost without exception, any shield that fits into the stock BMW touring shield mount is mounted too upright. Adding about 10 degrees more tilt to them makes them pretty much wonderful - buffet free, nice laminar flow over the outside and inside surfaces of the windshield, and it has the effect of lowering the top of the shield about 1.5".

There is a chap there who makes a plastic block that goes under the bottom mount of your touring shield - with two longer bolts. He basically gives them away - they're called "Don C blocks" - they provide the tilt back at the top that's needed. Dunno what BMW figures - but I've toured over 130,000 miles on my two R1200Rs - it's the most versitle bike BMW made. I'm looking for a used one in Los Angeles to leave at my son's place for trips to LA where I don't ride out.