IGNORED

Big Mak, R.I.P.

EffBee

While I was in Torrey, I got a message from Fasterpill, letting me know that Mark Kackley (Big Mak) had recently passed away. We had weak internet, so I waited until I returned home to post this. Here is the link to his obituary:

Big Mak

Mark Kackley was a mountain of a man. Yet he was as gentle as falling snow. He had a creative streak in him a mile wide, with a long history in the graphic arts. And anyone who ever called him to talk about the specialized and revolutionary tank bags he made, also got an earful of all of his other motorcycle product ideas.

He developed the flip-up tank bag (the Big Mak AirBag) that made refueling so much easier. And while others may have followed up his invention with their own easy-detach tankbags featuring twist-lock rings or snap-in mounts, you still had to find a place for that tank bag while you refueled. With a Big Mak tank bag you pulled up, flipped up and fueled up (yeah, I gave him that line, though he never used it), all while seated on your bike. If you ride distances like I do, you know what a blessing that can be. No getting off the bike. No disconnecting your intercom. No disconnecting your heat. No disconnecting anything. It is beyond easy. And because it floated above the tank on that sturdy hinged bracket, it never touched or scratched the tank.

With hands as large as a heavyweight prizefighter's, Mark sewed each bag himself, with the precision, delicacy and detail reserved for fine automotive leather. He would even customize his bags based on your needs, mine being a mid-size bag (don't recall the model name) with a few personalized features and a map case on top. Perfect for me as I was able to install my Autocom, my V1 and my XM Roady2 in the bag, have room for my 70-oz Camelbak bladder while still being able to look over the bag to see not only my instruments, but idiot lights as well (important, in my case). I have had that bag on two RT's an FJR and a 650 V-strom. I won't ride without it.

The last time I saw Mark, was at Gleno's memorial over a decade ago. He had decided to shelve the tank bag business and, IIRC, accept an offer from his wife's family to enter their equine business. I have a friend from CA who moved to Jefferson, OR, and I visited him a couple of times, the last being 4 years ago. I never made the connection to Big Mak's same-town address, because he'd faded from the board and had taken down his website. I was within a half a mile from stopping by to say Hello, and I didn't know it. I so wish I had done so. So all I can say now is Good-Bye, Mark. You ride with me every time I swing a leg over my RT, every time I hook up my electronics, and every time I refuel.

Thank you from me, from all those who met you as part of this BMWST family, and from every rider in the world who has enjoyed and/or still enjoys the Best tank bag ever made.

Godspeed fellow traveler.

I remember calling him in the Spring of '02 to order a tank bag and marvel at how nice and conscientious he was in taking care of me. I t was like I was his only customer. In my mind that's his legacy....a really nice guy who cared about doing things the right way.

Here are three photos of Mark at the first UnRally in Gunnison, CO. The photos were sent to me by KTM_Doug. It was 2001. The 1100RT was just 5 years old and everything for it was new and exciting. More than 200 people rode to Colorado to celebrate the bike and this website.

IMG_1503-M.jpg

IMG_1509-M.jpg

IMG_0244-M.jpg

Sorry for our loss.

Mark made a great product.

Mines still going strong 13-14 years & 150+k miles later.

Can't use it on my Zero (no gas filler).

RIP Mark.

Leon and I were just talking about him, wondering what his status was. What a loss to the community. I still have and use his Big Mak tank bag on my 1150RT. I love it. Now it is even more special to me. I remember during the Spokane MOA rally Big Mak hosted us at his campsite with an open bar and his rum and cokes were more rum then coke. What a night. The guy was genius at so many things. Rest in Peace Mark.

For the old timers here, the last photo of myself and Mark was taken at a gathering in Vader, WA where Mark lived. Attendees were Fasterpill, Doc, Old Rider, myself, Bad Adam and many others that I can't name. Good times back then. He was a good guy.

Sad news.

Condolences to his family.

His products are (still) the best, IMO.

Used multiple bags on different bikes.

Several still going strong in daily use.

A great product from a wonderful soul.

Ride in peace.

Lone_RT_rider

I have two of his bags, one the traditional flip up, and the other a modified concept made to attach to the stock mounting bracket from the 2008 R1200RT that I still own. I still use both bags. The oldest has to be 13 years old now.

FB, if he shut down operations in 2007 (Gleno's wake), he must have still been doing side jobs when he did the R1200RT bag for me (late 2008). I had no idea when I called him that he was out of that business. He was kind, and never once mentioned he "doesn't do that anymore". What a class act. We are in life, the interactions we leave behind with others. This man was a Giant in so many ways.

Rest in peace Big Mak.....

As I said of Gleno, see you on the other side with a fresh set of tires and a full tank of gas. :(

Shawn

BigMak was one of my best friends on the board. I let way too much time go by without calling him these past couple years. A few days ago I did a search to make sure his phone hadn't changed so I could maybe get a new map bag and catch up and BAM. There was his obit from August. It was a hit in the gut. Mark put me up for a few weeks when Jan and I separated back in '04. We are still together and better for it. Like KTM said above, Vader has some awesome memories, and I miss you folks in the Livermore area. We did every John Day rally too. I still have the K12RS and it still has the Marin BMW license plate holder. Treasure, just like my Bigmak tank bags!

I hope to head to a Torrey in the next couple years.

Fasterpill

I'm sorry this happened to such a great contributor to our lifestyle. I owned one of his tank bags and had it mounted on my R1100RT, I had no idea he had links to this site or to the BMW community in general. Great tank bag, I miss it dearly.