IGNORED

Battery Tender...the millionth thread

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I know this has been discussed for many years, but I just got a 2016 RT, and while installing some farkles ran the battery dead. Fate worse than death to remove the battery. I"ve got it on my Battery Tender Plus. Manual threatens dire consequences if anything other than BMW battery charger is connected while the battery is connected to the bike (I took the battery out). I'd like to add the BT pigtails so if it happens again I don't have to remove the battery.

Will the bike melt?

I know this has been discussed for many years, but I just got a 2016 RT, and while installing some farkles ran the battery dead. Fate worse than death to remove the battery. I"ve got it on my Battery Tender Plus. Manual threatens dire consequences if anything other than BMW battery charger is connected while the battery is connected to the bike (I took the battery out). I'd like to add the BT pigtails so if it happens again I don't have to remove the battery.

Will the bike melt?

Afternoon markgoodrich

No problems adding BT pigtails just heed a couple of warnings.

First, about any small battery charger is safe to use with the battery in the bike as long as it never exceeds 15 volts DC while charging. (this is important to protect the expensive BMW electronics )

The other thing is you really want to use a battery charger that is rated to work with your AGM battery. A lead acid or Gel charger will work but it won't give a full or proper charge. (will work in an emergency but a proper rated charger should be used for full battery life & function)

If you have any concerns about your present charger just call the help tec line for the company that makes your present charger. (they can tell you the max charging voltage output & if compatible with an AGM battery)

Edited by dirtrider
markgoodrich

Will the bike melt?

Afternoon markgoodrich

First, about any small battery charger is safe to use with the battery in the bike as long as it never exceeds 15 volts DC while charging. (this is important to protect the expensive BMW electronics )

The other thing is you really want to use a battery charger that is rated to work with your AGM battery. A lead acid or Gel charger will work but it won't give a full or proper charge. (will work in an emergency but a proper rated charger should be used for full battery life & function)

If you have any concerns about your present charger just call the help tec line for the company that makes your present charger. (they can tell you the max charging voltage output & if compatible with an AGM battery)

Thanks!

BT website says the Plus is "perfect" for all lead acid batteries, including AGM and gel cells, and output is under 15 volts. However, I think my battery is on the way out, so I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and see about a warranty replacement. And put the pigtails on that one.

Edited by markgoodrich

Most of the branded smart chargers sold in the last several years are AGM compatible, included a major brand like you BT+ by Deltran. I have one that works well on AGM batteries and should give you a long service life for your AGM battery.

I think the watchout to avoid getting to15 volts is to avoid chargers that have a battery desulfation function (battery restoration) mode. This is particularly true for the AGM battery in your 2016 RT which is more or less a sealed battery (they do have a pressure relief valve). In theory the desulfation mode actually gets the plates to boil the acid solution in a controlled way while avoiding overheating and warping the plates which is supposed to cause the sulfation to slough off and fall to the bottom of the battery. Some smart chargers have a safe desulfation mode when using on an installed battery but very likely work more avoid sulfation build up rather than getting heavily sulfated plates to slough off. Lastly, for most motorcycle batteries which are typically under 30AH, keep the tender/charger rating to 3 amps, or preferably, less as this avoids cooking you battery during the bulk charge phase. I think the rule of thumb is the charger should not exceed 10% of the battery rated amp hours.

Edited by Paul De

Will the bike melt?

Afternoon markgoodrich

Thanks!

BT website says the Plus is "perfect" for all lead acid batteries, including AGM and gel cells, and output is under 15 volts. However, I think my battery is on the way out, so I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and see about a warranty replacement. And put the pigtails on that one.

Morning Mark

As long as your charging is under 15 volts then you should be good-- According to the BMW bulletin that I have it says "

If the battery is connected to the electrical system during charging the voltage spike could lead to failure of the control units and other electrical / electronic components".

As far as your battery being on the way out it might just be on how (what you used to recharge it if it was dead). A small amp maintainer charger is fine for maintaining a mostly charged AGM battery but doesn't produce enough amps during the absorption cycle to restore it.

If your battery wasn't close to dead when you re-charged it then you very well might have a bad battery. But, if your AGM battery was mostly dead (under 7 volts) then you probably didn't hit it with enough amps to restore it to full function. (AGM batteries are a very strange creature when it comes to recharging them from almost dead)

Hi Mark...

One of the very first things I went to add to my '14 was the battery charging Pig-Tail. I went to the Auto Zone Store to pick it up. Back at home I removed the seat and inspected the pig-tail that was already there- installed by the dealer I guess. In any case Autozone took it back no questions. The moral here is to be sure you do not already have one... Look under the seat, and/or remove the small body panel on the lower right hand side kinda below and to the rear of the seat.

Mark... as a bonus, you can remove the small sort-of triangular body panel under the right-hand side/rear of the bike. It is a great opportunity to become acquainted with the process of breaking off those plastic posts/tabs on body parts... all part of the new-bike process....

markgoodrich
Mark... as a bonus, you can remove the small sort-of triangular body panel under the right-hand side/rear of the bike. It is a great opportunity to become acquainted with the process of breaking off those plastic posts/tabs on body parts... all part of the new-bike process....

Thanks for the tip!