IGNORED

Engine light and oil !

reglook

I recently got a 06 R1200RT 3 mths ago .. about a mth and 1/2 ago my "oil !" Warning came on ... you guys helped point me to check my oil level and sure enough ot was a little low ... i went thru the proper steps to add some oil (probably 1/4 - 1/2 of a quart) ... all was well ... the warning went away life was good ... thank you by the way ...

A mth later, the "oil !" Came back ...

1st question: do they really burn that much oil?

I checked and sure enough it is a little low again. Went to add a little oil gain last week and I didn't review my proper steps and I added the oil before the engine was sufficiently warmed ... I added between 1/8 to 1/4 of a quart... the warning went away ... all is good again

This week my "oil !" Came back... I immediately thought maybe I put too much oil in ... then yesterday my check engine display came on while heading to work ... it sat thru the day at work and when I went home the "oil !" Was on but the check engine light was not and didn't come on as I went home ... 1 hour 1/4 long ride ...

What are your thoughts?

Morning reglook

I don't know why your engine light came on (we will need more info to help with this)-- OR better yet get a GS-911 on that bike & read the stored failure codes so we know what to look for.

On the oil check?-- I think I can help you with that. The early 1200RT's including the early built 2006 were built with an oil level float system that was calibrated too high. There was a BMW service bulletin on how to remedy that erroneous oil check warning condition. (basically takes a new oil level float & should have a BMS-K software update)

From BMW----

"As of November 30, 2005, motorcycles fitted with OE 510 "Oil-level warning"

have a modified float to lower the sensor's trip point by 4mm. This, in combination

with a modification to the measuring conditions in the BMS-K software (as

of integration level works: K24-06-01-500 - in series production as of February

20, 2006), minimizes the risk of incorrect readings"

Ok, thx dirtrider ... I will take it to the shop ... at least I has a clue on what questions to ask ... do you have any idea on what it should cost to fix ... just for my own piece of mind?

Ok, thx dirtrider ... I will take it to the shop ... at least I has a clue on what questions to ask ... do you have any idea on what it should cost to fix ... just for my own piece of mind?

Morning reglook

I have no idea on repair cost as all the oil level repairs that I know of were done under BMW warranty or a BMW goodwill warranty.

I'm not sure if BMW will still honor that long ago bulletin under warranty or will make you now pay.

If you have a late 2006 it might already have the updated float but the BMS-K update came a bit later in the 2006 production run so that will need to be checked.