IGNORED

My First Tranny, Rear, Spline Lube on My Newest Ride

MichiganBob

Good Morning,

For my 2012 1200RT

Tranny .. no big deal or different from my previous Beemers. My xl cadet hands could not get a plastic bag under the drain plug. I put aluminum foil around the exhaust and other exposed parts and a small pan for catching the old lube. Fill to top threads, no measurement needed.

Then I changed the rear unit fluid. Had to remove exhaust, and wheel but also took out speed sensor so I can drop link and inspect/lube splines. Decided to fill rear from speed sensor hole since it was open. Was going to use this swivel head plastic bottle with a narrow spout but in the end opted for a 60 mm syringe which I used three times for 180 mm. Dummy did not consider that the speed sensor hole would be open when I drop the link for the lube spline. Lesson learned ... drain rear, then do spline, then fill rear. I ran down to the hardware store and got a rubber plug for the speed sensor hole which worked fine.

Dropped the link and found a bone dry spline, slight rust, and a good amount of water in the pockets. Cleaned. lubed with a good moly, and sealed the rubber boot with some NAPA Sil-Glide. They recommend changing the link nut as it acts as a lock nut due to its oval shape. I can't imagine that it stretches as the torque is only 42 NM. I sealed the nut with loctite blue and marked it with a orange line to see if it moved at all. No movement on this last 700 mile blast. I did get a replacement nut from the dealer which I might change this long winter.

That's the scoop. Waiting for a DVD and will tackle my first brake bleed on this bike. It can't be any more complicated than doing it on my 03RT.

Take good care,

Bob