Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#998668 - 10/08/17 10:12 PM New to BMW--and already having troubles  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

Hello to all! I have been riding over 30 years, but I'm new (bought July 5th) to BMW bikes. I bought a 2005 1200 RT from a fella down the street with 36K on it and until last friday, I have loved every minute of riding it. I have a stack of records and recalls completed to include a fuel pump 14K miles ago. Recently started smell fuel, so today I pulled off the plastics and found it to be leaking at the connector on top of the pump. It's my understanding that this may or may not be repaired under a recall, so I'll call the dealer tomorrow to find out for sure.

If it's not, it looks like a repair I could do myself, but won't I don't know is about crimping those new rings on the new connector. I'll try to post a picture of said leak.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and advice!

#998671 - 10/08/17 10:38 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Butthead
Hello to all! I have been riding over 30 years, but I'm new (bought July 5th) to BMW bikes. I bought a 2005 1200 RT from a fella down the street with 36K on it and until last friday, I have loved every minute of riding it. I have a stack of records and recalls completed to include a fuel pump 14K miles ago. Recently started smell fuel, so today I pulled off the plastics and found it to be leaking at the connector on top of the pump. It's my understanding that this may or may not be repaired under a recall, so I'll call the dealer tomorrow to find out for sure.

If it's not, it looks like a repair I could do myself, but won't I don't know is about crimping those new rings on the new connector. I'll try to post a picture of said leak.

Evening Butthead

You are going to have to be our eyes on this & tell us EXACTLY where the leak is coming from (which fuel line connection & exactly where on the fitting it is leaking from.

If the pressure-side line then the usual place of leakage is a crack in the fuel pump pass through (not easily repairable), or leaking from the quick disconnect "O" ring inside the quick disconnect.

There was a recall on the pump pass-through boss crack but BMW gave the dealer an option to just install a reinforcement band or replace the pump assembly (depends on crack length). A lot of dealers just took the easy way out & installed the band no matter the crack length so some of those are now starting to leak.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#998682 - 10/09/17 01:02 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: dirtrider]  
Dann Offline
Dann  Offline

Laval,, QC, Canada
The reinforcement ring that was installed on my fuel pump as part of the recall in 2014 started leaking two weeks ago on my 07.
I brought the bike back to the dealer and BMW installed a new pump.

The dealers probably figured out that if they put a ring the first time and pump leaked later, they could charge BMW twice for the same recall...

Last edited by Dann; 10/09/17 01:04 AM.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
#998686 - 10/09/17 01:09 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: dirtrider]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

So I think I got a picture attached. I drew a line around do the connection that is leaking.

Attached Files
#998695 - 10/09/17 01:52 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Apparently the fuel pump was replaced before the fuel flange recall was issued in 2014, as your "new" pump has no reinforcement ring. If the leak is not too severe I'd get the bike to a dealer for the free recall work. The tech will be removing the fuel line anyway, so they will be able to make sure the quick connect is properly seated and to check the quick connect O-ring for damage.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#998697 - 10/09/17 02:04 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

According to the records I have for the bike, it was replaced 1/29/15. Paperwork states work completed under recall

Last edited by Butthead; 10/09/17 02:05 AM.
#998708 - 10/09/17 11:38 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
So I think I got a picture attached. I drew a line around do the connection that is leaking.

Morning Butthead

I still can't see the leak & you haven't told us EXACTLY where it is coming from. If it is inside that box that you drew it could be either a cracked pass-through boss or a leaking "O" ring. (can you see a small crack in the little raised boss that the fitting screws into?)

In any case I don't see a reinforcement ring so possibly BMW installed an old pump instead of the new updated pump.

You need to look VERY CLOSLY to see if you see a crack in the pass-through boss, or if the leak is coming from above the boss then running down from the quick disconnect fitting.

It is very easy to nick the internal "O" ring if the quick disconnect trigger isn't held all the way in during disconnection or re-connection.

Unless BMW has just recently updated it's pump pass-through design then your bike didn't get the pump recall as I don't see a reinforcement ring on that pass-trough boss. So see if your dealer will address the fuel leak for you.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dirtrider; 10/09/17 11:41 AM.

D.R. ___
#998721 - 10/09/17 02:03 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

Okay....I've highlighted the area that the fuel is actually leaking from. If you look closely, you can see drops of fuel lying on the chrome portion of the QD. Not being familiar with motorcycles with pressurized fuel injection systems, I was unsure of what would happen if I pull that hose off to inspect further. Will it spray fuel everywhere??? Will I do more harm that good??

I still have to call the dealer that has performed all of the services prior to me buying it and see if they will look at it as a recall.

Attached Files
#998723 - 10/09/17 02:31 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Okay....I've highlighted the area that the fuel is actually leaking from. If you look closely, you can see drops of fuel lying on the chrome portion of the QD. Not being familiar with motorcycles with pressurized fuel injection systems, I was unsure of what would happen if I pull that hose off to inspect further. Will it spray fuel everywhere??? Will I do more harm that good??

I still have to call the dealer that has performed all of the services prior to me buying it and see if they will look at it as a recall.

Morning Butthead

That area sort of points to a damaged "O" ring. Not 100% but it usually is the "O" ring when leaking at that location.

When you are at the dealer pick up another "O" ring -- When reassembling makes sure that the latch is not triggered until the fitting is fully snapped together. (if latch snaps together during early insertion it can damage the "O" ring)

Last edited by dirtrider; 10/09/17 02:54 PM.

D.R. ___
#998782 - 10/10/17 01:34 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

So I pulled the line off yesterday, and I do have a small nick in the o-ring. With that said, I'm not sure if that is my problem, OR if I caused it while removing the line. Either way, has anyone had any luck finding these at any local auto parts stores? The closest BMW dealer is 70 miles away. I tried ordering a pack from BBY, but they require $20.00 minimum order. Wondering if someone local has it.....

Last edited by Butthead; 10/10/17 01:46 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3