BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#999017 - 10/14/17 02:46 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

Got an OEM replacement coming. Don't be surprised if yall happen to drive by my house and see a "for sale" sign on it after its fixed.

#999443 - 10/22/17 03:45 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
That's certainly a decision only you can make. On the other hand, you are learning about the bike you now own and have enjoyed riding. Developing a knowledge and understanding of how ones bike works is a rewarding thing. I'm not sure if your frustration is the length of time its taken you to get to the bottom of the issue, or that you had a problem to begin with. I, too, use to live about 70 miles from my closet dealer, so I understand the challenge that can be. OTOH, it's also a nice opportunity for a brief ride and you probably could have gotten out of there for an hours labor and parts. They may have even just replaced the pump under recall as you don't have the updated version and the cost to you zero.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well. The Hexhead is a bit intimidating at first, but is fairly easy to understand and work on. There are tutorials and resources available for just about any service you'd want to preform at home. If you like the ride of the bike as much as you say you do, why let a little problem like this run you off?

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#999462 - 10/23/17 12:46 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: workin' them angels]  
Dann Offline
Dann  Offline

Laval,, QC, Canada
Originally Posted by workin' them angels
That's certainly a decision only you can make. On the other hand, you are learning about the bike you now own and have enjoyed riding. Developing a knowledge and understanding of how ones bike works is a rewarding thing. I'm not sure if your frustration is the length of time its taken you to get to the bottom of the issue, or that you had a problem to begin with. I, too, use to live about 70 miles from my closet dealer, so I understand the challenge that can be. OTOH, it's also a nice opportunity for a brief ride and you probably could have gotten out of there for an hours labor and parts. They may have even just replaced the pump under recall as you don't have the updated version and the cost to you zero.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well. The Hexhead is a bit intimidating at first, but is fairly easy to understand and work on. There are tutorials and resources available for just about any service you'd want to preform at home. If you like the ride of the bike as much as you say you do, why let a little problem like this run you off?

+1

I'm not a mechanic and I learned to do all the maintenance on my 07

I even replaced the drive shaft, swing arm and the clutch myself.

The only time the dealer does work on my bike is when BMW pays for it.

There are tons of resources available. If you are willing to invest the time it's not that hard to work on it yourself.

My bike runs like new now.

[Linked Image]

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
#999591 - 10/24/17 09:18 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Dann]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

Originally Posted by Dann
Originally Posted by workin' them angels

+1

I'm not a mechanic and I learned to do all the maintenance on my 07

I even replaced the drive shaft, swing arm and the clutch myself.

The only time the dealer does work on my bike is when BMW pays for it.

There are tons of resources available. If you are willing to invest the time it's not that hard to work on it yourself.

My bike runs like new now.

[Linked Image]

I am very grateful for everyone's responses. My gripes are 1. Why would BMW put a $20.00 plastic (critical part I might add)on a $20,000 motorcycle? And 2. The closest dealer has proven to me already that they do not value customer service. Believe it or not, I finally ended up ordering from Max BMW 1000 MILES away and got it 3 business days.

Now to install it. Do I need to order one of those oetik crimping tools and wait days for that to come, or can I use my snips and safely crimp it without worrying about cutting through it???

#999593 - 10/24/17 09:54 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Butthead

Now to install it. Do I need to order one of those oetik crimping tools and wait days for that to come, or can I use my snips and safely crimp it without worrying about cutting through it???

Evening Butthead

You won't get a proper crimp using side cutters or snips.

In most cases the same tool used to crimp front wheel drive axle boot rings will work for those fuel line clamps & you can usually rent or even borrow one of those from a good local auto parts store.

If you don't use a proper tool then the center of the band in the crimp area will bow outward & that keeps it from retaining proper tightness.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#999600 - 10/24/17 10:22 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: dirtrider]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

Oh good.....more delays! dopeslap oh well.....I'll try to find one locally tomorrow and go from there. Thanks again to all.....I'll post the results.

#999733 - 10/27/17 01:18 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

Well, finally got to put it back together......and as best I can tell by running it in the garage.....I've got it fixed. Didn't take it on the road yet, but I assume if it doesn't leak on idle and light engine revving for several minutes, then it won't leak on the road. I'll post the final results after a road test.

As a side note--i made my own crimper for the oetiker clamp. Bought a $6 pair of end snips and ground the cutting edge smooth with my dremel so I wouldn't cut into the clamp. Worked like a charm!

Thanks again for all the advice!!

#999808 - 10/28/17 08:29 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
OldBMWMaster Offline
OldBMWMaster  Offline

Pleasure Island, NC
You are definitely CHEAP enough to be a BMW owner. Now ride it.

Old BMWs can be repaired.
#999840 - 10/29/17 12:05 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Newer Member
Butthead  Offline
Newer Member

I have to be cheap......got one more year of kid's college to pay for! Took it out this afternoon for a short ride to run a few errands. Ran like a champ and no gas leak! Mission accomplished. Just wish it wasn't so hard to get parts for where I am.

#999867 - 10/29/17 02:05 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Dann Offline
Dann  Offline

Laval,, QC, Canada
Originally Posted by Butthead
I have to be cheap......got one more year of kid's college to pay for! Took it out this afternoon for a short ride to run a few errands. Ran like a champ and no gas leak! Mission accomplished. Just wish it wasn't so hard to get parts for where I am.

Unfortunately having a dealer close by doesn't guaranty a better access to parts.
Very few places seems to keep parts in stock anymore. except for the very common ones.
I have two dealers close to my place and nine times out of ten, they don't have the part I need in stock and have to order it. Which means a second trip to the dealer to pick it up when it arrives.
I'd rather order it online and have it shipped to my house.

YMMV

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3