IGNORED

New Member first post. Down Under "Mature" person

RaceControl

Gday mate,

My names Steve. I'm 65yo from Sydney Australia and aold my Honda 1000 yesterday and am looking at buying an R 1200 RT ASAP. I've always liked speed but in my "more mature" years I've come to value comfort and safety more than before. I rode a 2006 R 1200 RT recently and loved it. Especially the way it squatted under brakes - much like the Road Racing car I recently sold. The R1200RT are quite expensive in Australia but I'm looking at buying a 2015 MY R 1200 RT-P ex cop bike with very low mileage at a crazy cheap price.

I did a search but could find nothing relating to late model RT-P single seat to pillion seat conversions. Any chance an Admin/Mod could transfer this to a relevant thread or could anyone who has an answer for me simply post here please?

Is it possible or are the the two models much more different than I suspect?

I know it's an expensive excercise and will probably involve new panniers as well but at the price of the 15 RT-P single seater I don't care.

Is the Sargent twin seat the way to go?

Has anyone here done it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RaceControl

Welcome to the family. RTP's are similar but at the same time different. Electrically they can be a nightmare.

Your seat swap has been done and a search here should find some posts about it.

Do you have good sources of used parts there?? That will help keep costs down.

Good luck..

Hi Steve, welcome to the site! :wave: It sounds like a pain in the arse to me changing over an RTP into a regular RT. Must be a smoking deal if you are considering going that route. :dontknow: I will tell you that the difference between a 2006 vs the 2015 is huge! :revit:

Good luck, keep us informed! :thumbsup:

Pat

Gday mate,

My names Steve. I'm 65yo from Sydney Australia and aold my Honda 1000 yesterday and am looking at buying an R 1200 RT ASAP. I've always liked speed but in my "more mature" years I've come to value comfort and safety more than before. I rode a 2006 R 1200 RT recently and loved it. Especially the way it squatted under brakes - much like the Road Racing car I recently sold. The R1200RT are quite expensive in Australia but I'm looking at buying a 2015 MY R 1200 RT-P ex cop bike with very low mileage at a crazy cheap price.

I did a search but could find nothing relating to late model RT-P single seat to pillion seat conversions. Any chance an Admin/Mod could transfer this to a relevant thread or could anyone who has an answer for me simply post here please?

Is it possible or are the the two models much more different than I suspect?

I know it's an expensive excercise and will probably involve new panniers as well but at the price of the 15 RT-P single seater I don't care.

Is the Sargent twin seat the way to go?

Has anyone here done it?

Thanks in advance.

I have over 67,000 miles on my Sargent seat and it works like the day I put it on the bike. It is a direct fit no alterations needed , relatively inexpensive compared to custom made seats and comes with a 30 day return policy, so try it out for a few 12 hour days and if it doesn't do what you want you send it back for a full refund . Check it out .

Steve, you're trying to do two things here. The first is to introduce yourself. Welcome, by the way. We have many members from Down Under.

The second is to ask a technical question. To get your best results, repost your technical question in the correct forum (since it's a 2105 MY RTP, I suggest you post in the WetHeads forum). That's where you'll get your best replies.

Best wishes. And enjoy your RTP. I know that the 1100 and 1150RT's could be converted to two-up, but I don't know about the 1200 liquid-cooled RT's. But someone here will know, or will know someone who does know.