IGNORED

Display Lag at StartUp - R1200RT '08

Dimond

Lately, for the past few months, when I turn my key to ON it takes upwards of 5-6 seconds for the Display to show on the dash - then a couple of seconds to clear the CHECK - then I can energize the start button. Sometimes the display comes on quickly after I turn the key but most of the time there is a 5 second lag. The bike always starts and never stalls - but I find this delay in display wait annoying and wondering if there is some serious underlying problem that will eventually surface? Thanks.

Lately, for the past few months, when I turn my key to ON it takes upwards of 5-6 seconds for the Display to show on the dash - then a couple of seconds to clear the CHECK - then I can energize the start button. Sometimes the display comes on quickly after I turn the key but most of the time there is a 5 second lag. The bike always starts and never stalls - but I find this delay in display wait annoying and wondering if there is some serious underlying problem that will eventually surface? Thanks.

Afternoon Dimond

What check are you referring to?

Something doesn't sound right but difficult to tell much from the info you posted.

What happens IF you push the starter button right after key-on? (this might tell us something)

Do you have the dash backlight turned all the way up?

.....difficult to tell much from the info you posted......

Normally when I turn the key on the dash lights up very quickly - maybe in 1 second or so. Then I can press the 'start button' to engage starter.

Now it takes anywhere from a few to 15 seconds for the dash to 'light up' at which time I can engage the starter - but the starter WILL NOT engage UNTIL the dash lights up.

Not sure what is causing this multi-second lag - but it is annoying to sometimes wait 15 seconds as other vehicles (e.g., bikes and cars) are expecting me to move. Once the dash lights up (not before) I can engage the starter and get the bike running each and every time. Any suggestions on what is causing the 'delay' are appreciated.

.....difficult to tell much from the info you posted......

Normally when I turn the key on the dash lights up very quickly - maybe in 1 second or so. Then I can press the 'start button' to engage starter.

Now it takes anywhere from a few to 15 seconds for the dash to 'light up' at which time I can engage the starter - but the starter WILL NOT engage UNTIL the dash lights up.

Not sure what is causing this multi-second lag - but it is annoying to sometimes wait 15 seconds as other vehicles (e.g., bikes and cars) are expecting me to move. Once the dash lights up (not before) I can engage the starter and get the bike running each and every time. Any suggestions on what is causing the 'delay' are appreciated.

Evening Dimond

This is a very strange problem. I have seen the dash have some delay on booting but it didn't effect the start up. (engine would start even before full dash boot-up)

With the starting delay I'm not sure if we are dealing with only the dash controller of something like the BMS-K or ZFE is not communicating properly over the CAN system.

Have you done or added anything to the bike just before the problem showed up?

Have you removed anything that might have left a CAN connection open?

Are you getting any warning letters on the dash after it boots?

About all I can think of off hand is to try a couple hour battery disconnect, then re-connect, then do a new TPS relearn.

Also make sure that the battery cables are tight at the battery.

I'll think on this one for a while & if something comes to me I will do a follow up post here.

Added: a couple of quick thoughts--

If you any extra keys with pellets in them on your key ring try JUST using the BMW key by itself as a test.

Try using your spare key (maybe it will be recognized faster)

Right after key-on try flipping the kill switch a couple of times to see if that changes anything.

If you have a battery charger or jumper cables try turning key on with charger (or jumping from another battery) battery (a slightly low battery might prevent instant boot-up)

Edited by dirtrider

Evening Dimond ......

Many thanks for the Tips provided DR - both herein and in your PM. I plan to follow up on them to see if I can rectify this problem. In any event, I will report back with my findings - and hopefully success!

Edited by Dimond