IGNORED

BMW Owners Club Insurance

Bimmer-Biker

Has anyone had occasion to purchase and use their Roadside Assistance Insurance? Trying to decide whether it is worth it to purchase the Platinum level plan.

I have had it for several years, but so far it has worked perfectly (meaning I haven't had to use it!), so I can't help you with useful review.

I used it once about 10 years ago. Although it eventually worked out, I found myself dealing with people who knew nothing about motorcycles or geography. Needless to say, when you are stranded on the side of a busy freeway, it's frustrating to deal with complicated phone-trees and minimum-wage ESL clerks. Furthermore, I was surprised at the additional tow charges I ended up having to pay.

Now I get my RA through Progressive along with insurance. I had the occasion to use it last year and it was painless, simple, and my rates did not go up despite what must have been an expensive tow.

I bought Foremost (liability only) insurance for the '99 R1100RT earlier this year, but the price was less than the $50 minimum. My agent suggested just adding the Roadside Assistance which only added $5 to the total. Good thing I did. About a week later, just starting out on a Saturday afternoon ride the HES failed about a mile from home. I called the 800 number and 20 min later a rollback showed up. The driver was a bike rider, had all the straps, did an excellent job securing the bike and then getting me home. NO fees, but I gave him a tip because he was so good. Just my experience.