IGNORED

Windshield Screws Torx size?

Bimmer-Biker

Can anyone tell me what size torx is needed for the screws that hold the windshield? Mine are slightly stripped and it seems like an 11 should fit, but I want to be sure before I risk any further damage. working on removing the WS to replace with a Aeroflow.

You need to specify which bike you have, maybe just include it in your signature by editing your profile?

Max BMW offers access to the parts fiche, which often specifies screw sizes.

For example the R1150RT shows six screws in two sizes:

64 11 1 386 955 FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - 4X10 2

46 63 7 651 349 FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - M5X20 4

A GS or an RS would use totally different screws.

Edited by lkraus

Do you mean which size torx driver, or the diameter size of the screw?

If it's the driver, I'd guess it's a T20 as that's the most common body/fairing fastener head for mid 90s through the first part of the 2000s, but as above it's just a guess without knowing what you're working on.

Can anyone tell me what size torx is needed for the screws that hold the windshield? Mine are slightly stripped and it seems like an 11 should fit, but I want to be sure before I risk any further damage. working on removing the WS to replace with a Aeroflow.

???Are you sure they are Torx? Mine are, and as far as I remember, have always been hex socket. So M5 with a 3mm allen key.

...maybe the bike has been to a creative repair shop.

I had my LT to a dealer recently for the first time since I've owned it - now every time I fiddle with something I find fasteners they've swapped into new places (or omitted entirely)...

The secret to removing hex head screws--like those on side fairings--is to be sure the hex wrench is fully seated and is parallel to the bolt. Don's ask me how many I have stripped being in a hurry to get the plastic off.

Yeah the ones on my bike are definitely torx. I was able to get them out on back in again using the allen, but it was dicey. Ordering a new set of the allen type. Thanks for the help./

Torx head insets are star-shaped. Allen head insets are hex-shaped. Some might be interchangeable but they weren't designed that way.

Edited by Roger C
Yeah the ones on my bike are definitely torx. I was able to get them out on back in again using the allen, but it was dicey. Ordering a new set of the allen type.

Afternoon Bimmer-Biker

What is the length of the screws that came out?

The stock screw length is 20mm but if over torqued or horsed in & out those could strip (or start to strip) so some would get replaced with 25mm long torx head screws to go in farther & hit good solid threads (It was easier to find the 25mm long in a torx head).

My bike has all torx head screws for the body panels in the correct lengths. I think some previous owner replaced them. I like them better than the allens. I would like to get a set for Macys bike also as they are much quicker to remove.