BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#998786 - 10/10/17 03:04 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Butthead
So I pulled the line off yesterday, and I do have a small nick in the o-ring. With that said, I'm not sure if that is my problem, OR if I caused it while removing the line. Either way, has anyone had any luck finding these at any local auto parts stores? The closest BMW dealer is 70 miles away. I tried ordering a pack from BBY, but they require $20.00 minimum order. Wondering if someone local has it.....

Morning Butthead

BMW doesn't give the size in my parts book so you will probably have to remove the "O" ring & take it into a local auto parts store & match it up. Most auto parts stores have a large assortment of "O" rings.

Just make sure that the "O" ring that you get is alcohol & fuel resistant or you will have another leak in your future.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#998838 - 10/11/17 11:58 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: dirtrider]  
RobinW Offline
RobinW  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
Out of interest, are they still using nitrile gaskets or are they now using vitron rubber.

They've known for many years that nitrile breaks down under heat cycling.

Just wondering how honest they are.

Last edited by RobinW; 10/11/17 11:59 AM.

07 R1200RT-P
01 530i M-Sport
#998841 - 10/11/17 01:01 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: RobinW]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by RobinW
Out of interest, are they still using nitrile gaskets or are they now using vitron rubber.

They've known for many years that nitrile breaks down under heat cycling.

Just wondering how honest they are.

Morning Robin

No way to know for sure without asking BMW (& having them give you a straight answer)

The last few 1200RT that I have installed were black (not brown) & most Vitron that I deal with at work are brown so that m-i-g-h-t say something, but nothing confirming.

Whatever BMW uses seems to work for a very long time as I haven't ever seen one leak that wasn't molested by improper disassembly or re-assembly. (if the insertion goes straight in without touching the latch until the "O" ring clears the latch then all goes well, if the insertion goes slightly less than straight in "that" can trigger the latch to close prematurely & nick the "O" ring.

D.R. ___
#998845 - 10/11/17 01:43 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
RobinW Offline
RobinW  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
I guess it points more at the cars than the bikes.
People say, BMW cars leak oil, it's normal.
Normal for nitrile seals.

The VGC on my 4 wheeler was almost Bakelite when I got to it.
All the KBikes and R1100';s I've rebuilt where nitrile.
Haven't had to touch any rubber on this 1200 and it's 10 Years Old..

07 R1200RT-P
01 530i M-Sport
#998901 - 10/12/17 03:30 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
CTR1200RT Offline
Just Joined
CTR1200RT  Offline
Just Joined

Good morning AlI, I have a 2006 R1200RT. I am getting hesitation at 3000rpm in all 6 gears. I took the bike to Max BMW and they suggested that I replace the coils which were expensive. I replaced them. Also replaced all 4 plugs. Lastly I replaced the Throttle position sensor. I took it to Max BMW and they installed and synced it. After all this I am still having the exact same hesitation. Does anyone have any ideas on a fix for me please? I really don't want to take it back to Max BMW since they don't seem to have any idea on how to fix the issue.

#998902 - 10/12/17 03:34 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: CTR1200RT]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by CTR1200RT
Good morning AlI, I have a 2006 R1200RT. I am getting hesitation at 3000rpm in all 6 gears. I took the bike to Max BMW and they suggested that I replace the coils which were expensive. I replaced them. Also replaced all 4 plugs. Lastly I replaced the Throttle position sensor. I took it to Max BMW and they installed and synced it. After all this I am still having the exact same hesitation. Does anyone have any ideas on a fix for me please? I really don't want to take it back to Max BMW since they don't seem to have any idea on how to fix the issue.

Afternoon CTR1200RT

Yes, I have a couple of ideas but you will have to start your own thread on YOUR problem as we don't want to hijack Butthead's thread.

D.R. ___
#998932 - 10/12/17 11:24 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Just Joined
Butthead  Offline
Just Joined

Well, I finally got around to picking up a couple of O rings today at the auto parts store. Used digital calipers to verify that they were the same size as my old one. I bought 3....just in case I goofed one up......and if not, I'd have spares. Tried all 3 of them, and even though the first one slowed the leak down considerably, after a minute or so of idling, I started to see some seepage. If I push every so slightly on the 90 degree QD that is leaking, it really starts to spray fuel. Even though no matter how hard I try, I can't physically see a crack in the QD, I feel pretty strongly that is what my problem is.

So.....I'm ready to order some replacements. Is Beemer boneyard the best place to do so? I see they have a 90, a straight, orings and clamps for just over $70.00.

#998935 - 10/12/17 11:47 PM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Butthead
Well, I finally got around to picking up a couple of O rings today at the auto parts store. Used digital calipers to verify that they were the same size as my old one. I bought 3....just in case I goofed one up......and if not, I'd have spares. Tried all 3 of them, and even though the first one slowed the leak down considerably, after a minute or so of idling, I started to see some seepage. If I push every so slightly on the 90 degree QD that is leaking, it really starts to spray fuel. Even though no matter how hard I try, I can't physically see a crack in the QD, I feel pretty strongly that is what my problem is.

So.....I'm ready to order some replacements. Is Beemer boneyard the best place to do so? I see they have a 90, a straight, orings and clamps for just over $70.00.

Evening Butthead

I usually replace just the part that is broken & use BMW parts (the 90° male upper for your application is about $25.00 from BMW).

I strongly caution about being very careful in replacing the lower fitting on the pressure line with a steel aftermarket as I have seen a number of problems with 1200RT riders using an aftermarket threaded lower. The small weak plastic fuel pump pass through boss is ever so easy to crack & especially easy when screwing in a steel lower.

If you do use an aftermarket lower on that pressure hose then use a good fuel proof sealer on the threads & be VERY VERY careful in how tight you torque it.

If the lower part is leaking then you are kind of committed to using aftermarket so use extreme caution in replacing that.

Last edited by dirtrider; 10/12/17 11:49 PM.

D.R. ___
#998938 - 10/13/17 12:17 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
Butthead Offline
Just Joined
Butthead  Offline
Just Joined

I'm on board with only replacing the top male 90 piece. I just wanted to avoid driving 140 miles to the dealer.

I'll do a little more looking online to see if it can be had that way. As much as I've enjoyed this bike the past few months....I'm wondering if I shouldn't have stuck with what I know and can pick up parts on my lunch break if needed. frown

I am very grateful for the help and will keep you updated.

#999007 - 10/14/17 05:22 AM Re: New to BMW--and already having troubles [Re: Butthead]  
JR356 Offline
JR356  Offline

Way out West
BeemerBoneyard is a good source for those quick disconnects.
Used them on my 05GS for a year or two before the flange recall came out.

JR356

Last edited by JR356; 10/14/17 05:22 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3