BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
#994380 - 08/11/17 05:29 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Living in state capital has been good for us.
Hope it works out.
thumbsup

Took 4 yo and 2 yo for haircuts today, that time of year I guess.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#997485 - 09/21/17 06:43 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Well we are way overdue for an update - but with one notable exception, we have really not done much of interest (which is to say I swear I've not been holding out on you!).

So, here's the interesting thing:

and since we didn't happen to be in path of totality up here in upstate NY, we thought it would be a good time to get back on the road...

But, before heading out, finally swapped on the rear tire we'd picked up on the Outer Banks,

...and as long as we were doing that, figured it was time to replace the clutch. I considered pulling it all apart in our cousin's garage but the idea of doing that on my own with only the tools we were carrying "inspired" me to chicken out and take the bike to Max BMW. The shop up here near Albany didn't have time, but one of the Connecticut shops did, so I turned the rig over to them:

They were nice enough to offer me this to ride back and forth between CT and NY, which was a pretty good time smile

I even had a chance to do a little shopping for Bud while I was waiting for the work to be done ... (but he ended up buying something else, I think - maybe a couple somethings else...)

Eventually (and by eventually, I want to be clear that I mean, on exactly the day they said it would be ready) the bike was all re-clutched and I happily rode the XR back down to pick it up. The clutch felt great, though their ability to rehang the sidecar was not inspiring (no complaints there - I should have checked more thoroughly before setting out - it's not like they are a sidecar shop).

With the bike back from the shop, we had a few days to get from NY to TN, but decided to stick to the interstate and make it two long (for us) days. We woke in Cleveland to a beautiful sunrise

which unfortunately had turned to a thundershower by the time we'd finished breakfast and loaded up...

After a brief rain delay and a full day of riding, we found these folks -

(looks like Nicol has an idea...)

Mike and Nicol were once again great hosts, and since we'd pushed the miles on the way there we were rewarded with a day to just hang out, before the big show in honor of my birthday:

We had a great time watching the event, and I think even it's-not-going-to-be-that-great-Mike was duly impressed.

Eventually though it was over -

and despite being saddened by the end of the spectacle, Nicol pulled herself together long enough to bake me a birthday cake smile

The next morning the Greiffs had to go to something they called "work" - that sounded pretty scary, so we took off to make one more visit in Tennessee - after a very hot and humid day of riding, followed by a welcome dip in the pool, we were treated to a fantastic rain shower,

which was fine as it was a good excuse to eat, drink, chat, play games and hang out with some of our ADV friends.

As much as we'd have liked to stay and play or just ride around for a while (it's weird waking up in the same place for this many days in a row...) we opted to get back to Albany for a meeting with some bankers. On the way, in a parking lot near a gas station just outside of Pittsburgh, this happened

which led to this

(you know when you're loading your broken down bike onto a trailer and you're thinking, well at least it's not raining?)

You'd think with a big old truck (and by old I mean brand new - the thing had less than 2500 miles on it when I picked it up) you'd have MORE room for four than on a bike...but it was a little crowded...

We got to stay and see some cousins in Pittsburgh that night, and then had a rather enjoyable for those of us not crammed into the center of the cab between the seats (hey - I offered to let her drive) ride back to Albany.

Where Jeremiah and I built a little coffin er, crate, for the FD which turned out to have been shimmed just fine in the first place last time...you know, before I was told it was undershimmed, took it apart, added some shim stock....sigh.

Maybe because of that, I did a little birthday shopping for myself....

We had what seemed to be a really great meeting with a banker and some SBA folks, and celebrated with gin and juice and tiny pies smile

...and then it was time to wait.

Last edited by szurszewski; 09/21/17 07:05 PM.

*insert witty remark here*
#998887 - 10/12/17 11:09 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
...and there is a whole other post that goes below the one above and and above the one starting just below this line, but it's going to wait. Because. This morning (if the bike doesn't blow up when I press the button) we are heading two blocks north and then turning west onto US 20.

If all goes according to plan we will spend tonight in Pennsylvania, the next couple of nights in Ohio, and then keep working our way west until we come up with another plan or we get to another ocean.

Last edited by szurszewski; 10/12/17 11:10 AM.

#998920 - 10/12/17 08:36 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Hanging a side car is fun.

We had a bunch of customers and even so, it could be a challenge even w/experience.

So, Albany, si or nyet?
Best wishes.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#998943 - 10/13/17 02:02 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: tallman]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by tallman

So, Albany, si or nyet?

Nein.

Long drawn out process with a number of positive sounding bankers and several requests for more forms, paperwork, tax returns etc and then a short, curt series of nos.

Maybe / probably could have gone another route but by then we were pretty burned out and felt we'd been stagnating for months - didn't want to spend another two months at it. That's what the follow up post should have been, but since no one said anything after my post three weeks back I just sort of didn't bother. I'll fill it in soon.

Tonight we are in Erie, PA headed to see family in Ohio and probably Illinois, maybe some friend along the way, and then west. We will get back to the PNW to visit my family and maybe hang out there/work a few months/half a year if we don't figure out something else first.

#998964 - 10/13/17 02:23 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Well, it sucks it didn't work out in the NE area. tongue I know you guys kind of had your heart set up there. New opportunities will present themselves as you head west. Safe travels.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#998971 - 10/13/17 03:30 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
Just out of curiosity, what are your criteria for a place to settle?

#998999 - 10/14/17 12:23 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: Dennis Andress]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress

lurk lurk smirk

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#999041 - 10/15/17 12:47 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: Dennis Andress]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress

Hi Dennis! That's a fantastic question, and though I used to have an answer, I don't know that I do anymore. Primarily we were looking for a physical location that would be both our home and business, in something like the center of things, and in town/city/place that had enough people to support the business but not so many that we wouldn't be able to really interact with the community at large. Other than that we had a sort of nebulous wants list that included things like a college or university in town, proximity to water (preferably an ocean) at least some inkling of a food scene or at least clues that locals were interested in quality food and maybe a decent school for the boy.

At this point I think we may have "re-thunk" the whole idea and are kindling an idea for something smaller and more flexible, but during our first two days back on the road I did notice that we were still profiling each of the towns we went through, mostly based on the criteria above.

Also, several of the places we liked and thought of as potential homes in the first year of this thing didn't meet the list above very well if at all...so, yeah - maybe that's why we haven't found what we're looking for wink

#999049 - 10/15/17 04:06 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
I am a wanderer. Maybe not by intention, but certainly by living a rather full life. One of the big life defining lessons I learned while on active duty was to leave all expectations behind when going to a new duty location, a new place to live. An assignment to frigid North Dakota sucked. Living there and being miserable because the area didn't measure up sucked even more. Success, happiness, meant adapting to, and learning from, a new place.

Might I suggest turning your list around? Find a place with decent schools and build up from there.

Last edited by Dennis Andress; 10/15/17 04:08 PM.
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20