IGNORED

Are hexheads smoother?

AnotherLee

I was impressed when BMW came out with an oxygen sensor on both exhausts. I thought it would balance things out like they had never been before.

So...is that true? Do the '05-'09 1200 bikes run noticeably smoother than their earlier brothers & sisters?

I was impressed when BMW came out with an oxygen sensor on both exhausts. I thought it would balance things out like they had never been before.

So...is that true? Do the '05-'09 1200 bikes run noticeably smoother than their earlier brothers & sisters?

Morning Lee

Depends, the fueling control is better so they have less surging & smoother throttle control. The idle is better (more precisely controlled) by the electronics & steppers.

The engine also has a single rotating balancer shaft to help split the higher RPM disturbance modes.

BUT, the 1200 engine has larger pistons, high compression, solid chassis mounting, & it is still a 2 cylinder boxer engine so it still has the higher RPM buzz.

Years ago I switched from my '99 R1100S to a new '05 R1200ST. I was amazed at how many times I would be riding down the road for who knows how long before I noticed a "5" instead of a "6" showing on the gear indicator.

Up to date maintenance and a good throttle synch at 3000 rpm insure a smooth Hexhead 1200.

Frank

Joe Frickin' Friday

Similar to Frank (2 posts up), I went from a 1999 R1100RT to a 2009 R1200RT. I don't know that it's particularly smoother at low RPM (especially under high load), but at higher RPM, it certainly is smoother, probably because of that balancer shaft.

I have ridden my '05 RT for over 62K miles (I bought it with 12K). It now has 74K miles on it. It is smoother now then when I first got it. But, I had ridden several before buying the one I had. It was the smoothest of the bunch. If you have ever ridden a K1200 or K1300GT, than you will probably know that although there is more torque on the inline 4s, the level of vibration is really not all that different, at least in comparing it to my bike. I once test drove a 1200CL which I thought was the shakiest thing and compared to a Vtwin. That was not a hexhead. I find the hexhead to be much smoother than that bike. I have found that these items will help with the perception of vibration:

1) bar end weights (changes the resident frequency of the bars as compared to the frame)

2) soft grips with full cover leather gloves - absorbs vibration

3) normal cruising RPMs (between 3-4K)

4) Final gear that you are using: I find 5th gear to be smoother than 6th gear usually.

5) How much you use cruise control. I find that removing my right hand makes the bike feel a little smoother at least to me (yes, I know...)

6) Keeping up with maintenance is key !!!!

I know all of this sounds like common sense. But, this is what I am finding after owning my RT for going on 10 years. If you really want smoothness, go with the new V6 in any configuration.

Edited by rglassma

Not to hijack---but along the same lines of engine smoothness.....does anyone use any oil additives? I am a huge fan of Lucas oil treatment in everything I own.....but haven't read anything about putting it in the bike.

I have ran Lucas fuel injector cleaner through it and it made a significant difference!

Not to hijack---but along the same lines of engine smoothness.....does anyone use any oil additives? I am a huge fan of Lucas oil treatment in everything I own.....but haven't read anything about putting it in the bike.

I have ran Lucas fuel injector cleaner through it and it made a significant difference!

Afternoon Butthead

It will quickly turn into a hijack so I won't answer you on Lee's thread.

I sent you a PM about your question.