IGNORED

05 RT won't idle

BamaRider

Searches on this subject were inconclusive.

While on my recent tour my 2005 RT with 85k miles, suddenly did not want to idle. The bike ran/runs fine, just didn't want to idle.

This began on Day 4 after entering the mountains. It grew progressively worst as the miles went by, to the point if I shut the throttle down the bike died. I chalked this up to the altitude of the Colorado Rockies, figuring it would get better. No dice.

At the motel I went to my Iphone to research the problem, and to sum up it was not going to be something I could fix in the parking lot. I really thought I had to do was idle up the bike, but from my research the RT does not have a idle control and that idle is controlled by the FI.

On Day 9 I headed back east this time through the central Rockies and the problem was the same. However it wasn't as bad as few days prior. The situation did get better the farther East I came. By the time I was back in Bama it seemed to be all good. I cranked the bike today and it idled fine about 1100 rpm as always. At highway speed the bike always ran just fine, all the way back home.

I plan to ride the RT locally a few days to see how it does, before taking it to the shop, to see if its some kind of computer problem.

My thought is something happened to the mapping at altitude and once back in the thick , humid, sea level air of Alabama it went back to normal, but I dunno. I'm going to spend a little more time to see if the problem returns here in his home territory. Any thoughts on this? And if some kind of puter glitch, how to fix it?

Searches on this subject were inconclusive.

While on my recent tour my 2005 RT with 85k miles, suddenly did not want to idle. The bike ran/runs fine, just didn't want to idle.

This began on Day 4 after entering the mountains. It grew progressively worst as the miles went by, to the point if I shut the throttle down the bike died. I chalked this up to the altitude of the Colorado Rockies, figuring it would get better. No dice.

At the motel I went to my Iphone to research the problem, and to sum up it was not going to be something I could fix in the parking lot. I really thought I had to do was idle up the bike, but from my research the RT does not have a idle control and that idle is controlled by the FI.

On Day 9 I headed back east this time through the central Rockies and the problem was the same. However it wasn't as bad as few days prior. The situation did get better the farther East I came. By the time I was back in Bama it seemed to be all good. I cranked the bike today and it idled fine about 1100 rpm as always. At highway speed the bike always ran just fine, all the way back home.

I plan to ride the RT locally a few days to see how it does, before taking it to the shop, to see if its some kind of computer problem.

My thought is something happened to the mapping at altitude and once back in the thick , humid, sea level air of Alabama it went back to normal, but I dunno. I'm going to spend a little more time to see if the problem returns here in his home territory. Any thoughts on this? And if some kind of puter glitch, how to fix it?

Morning BamaRider

We could definitely use more information about your problem. There isn't enough riding conditions/road type/throttle/gear position information to tell you much other than guess at it.

At first guess it sounds like one of your idle speed steppers is getting lost. This can happen if you ride at speed for long periods without stopping & allowing the engine to idle. As soon as the bike is ridden in short runs between stopping & idling (like lots of stop lights, stop signs, & stopped in traffic or short runs) the steppers don't become as lost.

When your problem happened out west were you basically riding for somewhat long periods using lots of throttle changes but NO engine shut-off & restarts?

When out west did the stalling go away after you stopped & turned the engine off then did fresh re-start?

Otherwise it could be the altitude sensor in your BMS-K not properly responding to the altitude change (I have only seen this happen once (on an 1150 bike) when a spider got into the Motronic & plugged up the altitude sensor.

One of the problems that you are going to have is finding the problem IF the bike has started running OK again. If your problem is, or was, an idle stepper then those don't have or leave a stored failure code (so no way to tell if that WAS your problem).

If you suspect an idle stepper ( I sort of do) then you m-i-g-h-t reproduce the problem if you can find a hi-way or freeway or long road that has few cars & no stops that allow about an hour of riding at speed without stopping. Ride along using a much continuous throttle changes as possible (within reason) but no stops or engine turn off/re-starts).

Then after at least 1/2 hour (or better yet 1 hour) of riding find a safe place then bring the bike to a full stop & allow it to idle -- if it then stalls you probably have an idle stepper getting lost.

Most other problems will show up as trapped failure codes with a GS-911 or dealer computer but the longer you ride it without it acting up the less chance you have of finding the problem.

I wish you would have posted here while you were still out west & having the problem as we might have been able to have your try a few things to isolate the problem. If you can get the problem to return we might be able to help you find it but it must be happening regularly before we can do that.

If you can get the problem to return then try shutting the engine completely off (key to off) then turn key on & count to 10, then restart & see if the stalling goes away for a while (note: an engine stall & re-start without turning the key completely off doesn't count as re-start).

Dirt- Sorry for the delay but I've been swamped.

I think the problem is the stepper. I had been riding the RT for long periods on the ride west. I did have many throttle changes but no shut downs.

"When out west did the stalling go away after you stopped & turned the engine off then did fresh re-start? - sometimes

"When your problem happened out west were you basically riding for somewhat long periods using lots of throttle changes but NO engine shut-off & restarts?" - Yes.

The RT has only been out of the garage for a wash job since my return. I'm looking forward to riding it, and will take it out on the highway tomorrow to see if I can duplicate the problem. The shop advised they could not get to it to Nov. 10. It is 80 miles away and the ride in should offer plenty of exposure for the problem to come back.

The RT is going in for routine maint, but lemme ask this, how much trouble would it be to replace the stepper in a best guess attempt?

Dirt- Sorry for the delay but I've been swamped.

I think the problem is the stepper. I had been riding the RT for long periods on the ride west. I did have many throttle changes but no shut downs.

"When out west did the stalling go away after you stopped & turned the engine off then did fresh re-start? - sometimes

"When your problem happened out west were you basically riding for somewhat long periods using lots of throttle changes but NO engine shut-off & restarts?" - Yes.

The RT has only been out of the garage for a wash job since my return. I'm looking forward to riding it, and will take it out on the highway tomorrow to see if I can duplicate the problem. The shop advised they could not get to it to Nov. 10. It is 80 miles away and the ride in should offer plenty of exposure for the problem to come back.

The RT is going in for routine maint, but lemme ask this, how much trouble would it be to replace the stepper in a best guess attempt?

Afternoon BamaRider

That's one the option & sometimes about the only way to find a problematic stepper.

Usually you only replace one side, if the problem goes way then you found the problem, if it doesn't go away then you install the removed (good working) stepper on the other side.

I had a similar issue and replaced a stepper which fixed the problem.

I later greased the faulty stepper and put it in the other side.

Have not had the issue again.

So maybe try greasing them before getting the cheque book out.