IGNORED

R1150R - New Owner, Lots of Questions

Cinko

Just picked up a 2002 R1150R, Its got some work it needs, and upgrades I want, and since I am new to BMW… I have accumulated quite a bit of questions in my extensive 3 whole days of ownership.

Rather than blow up the board with them all separated, I'm just going to address them as a group here. If you can answer any of these great, I understand it's a lot of questions… but I really appreciate any help at all here.

I'm on a budget.. Hence why I bought an 02, so just keep that in mind if you reference anything to buy as I would prefer to order after market at a cheaper price then direct from BMW or its resellers if possible.

1. The exhaust was discolored and faded, I sanded/buffed the catalytic collector (mid crossover) this looks great and the stainless shines like new. The muffler did not have even a bit of discoloration, so I didn't have to do anything which is great =) , but the headers were discolored greatly. I sanded them and buffed them but never got them close to looking as clean as the mid-section. I decided to just sand blast them yesterday at my shop and they look very nice now, however here's my questions:

A. What are these headers made out of, because it does not appear to be stainless steel? (or it's a really bad grade of stainless)

B. What can I do to protect them, if anything? (I've use flameproof baked on paint before, but dislike the flat colors and how it looks)

2. Spark plugs (Okay I am not trying to start a debate sorry I know this runs close to oil threads sometimes)

I usually buy the iridium spark plugs for my bikes, I saw that Autolite's 3923 is for this bike.. but I can't find anyone to confirm if they have used the XS3923 (iridium) version in the R1150R…

A. Is this good/better to use or should I just stick with the regular copper 3923's?

B. It appears there just is one spark plug per head (2) total, and they are the same type, is this correct?

3. Mirrors, mine are looking worn, and I don't particularly like round mirrors, are there any aftermarket mirrors that work with this 02 R1150R (connecting in the same hole)? Any links to where I can get them?

4. Grips, mine are worn. Usually I replace mine every time I get a bike, but I have never owned a bike with heated grips before.

A. Is there something specific to replacing the grips here, Other than the standard pull and replace?

B. IS there a specific grip I have to buy? Any links where I can order them after market?

5. Valve Covers, mine were scratch. The black plastic under guards I reordered, no issue there. But I have two questions here.

A. I have spark plug covers that fold out to be forward foot rest, this is awesome but it appears to be custom, or after market, is this something that is purchased from BMW or where are these made? I repainted them but in the future I may just want to re-order another pair

B. The top of my head's valve covers on each side has light scratching, what are my options for fixing this, can these be sanded, or will it mess up the finish? Is there a heat paint out there that matches the oem color?

6. Front forks, mine have debris impact pitting starting. What are options here for these bikes?

A. do they make fork guards?

B. If I decide to fix, Do I need to pull them and sand and repaint as my only option?

C. Is there a paint that matches these forks?

7. Tank, mine has light scratching, nothing through the paint, but a dent from an apparent handle bar impact. I've pulled tanks, stripped, sanded, bondo'd and sent them out to be repainted before and it always seems to cost at least 500 bucks to do nicely and makes for a lot of down time. That being said;

A. What are the chances of finding a clean Red tank from this year?

B. What should I expect to be paying for one? Can I get a used one for under $500 clean or is that unrealistic?

8. Performance, if I ditch the catalytic mid-section, and switch to a straight pass-through cross section, how do I tune the bike for the change? I've only ever had carb'ed bikes so all I know is jetting and air flow adjustments.. I'm just not sure what happens here, a remap?

9. Gas tank pressure, after riding for a while if you open the gas tank there is pressure that accumulated. Is this normal for these? None of my other bikes did this? Is there an overflow open vent tube like other bikes? Cause if it was any other bike I would just assume this was clogged

10. Keys, I only got one, if I buy a BMW blank off ebay or something Can these be cut at a local locksmith, or does it need to be done at solely a BMW motorcycle dealer?

11. Cold Starts, how is this done with this bike, again only ever owned carb'ed sorry for the naivety here.

12. Side bags, one of my orange locking latches snapped Are these replaceable? And if so where can I order the latch from?

13. Front Engine cover, I don't know what the terminology is for this, as all I have really ever owned were inline 4's, but the front bolted cover plate (silver) directly below the black plastic cover behind the front wheel has a bunch of road debris on it and a bit of staining, I buffed the debris off but the staining I can't get off and if I buffed or sanded any harder I could see it would mess up the finish

A. What is the made out of? Aluminum?

B. How can I touch this up? Is there a matching paint?

C. If I just order a new one how hard is this to replace?

14. Shifting …Okay, so I have only really ever owned sport bikes, so this question may be the dumbest on my list but forgive me I just want to make sure nothing is wrong here. I am use to changing gears at 6k when riding normally and 10-11k when sprinting around… when I change gears I usually drop the full throttle back in, clutch in, shift up, and snap the throttle back… all in a quick ½ second or so motion… however with this bike I knew I would be shifting at lower rpms but even at 4500 when I switch gears I feel like it dogs down … The owner said “that's because with these bikes you have to keep the throttle about a ¼ turned when up shifting and never fully let go or there is not enough gas and it will have that quick nose dive feeling” Is this normal, do you guys keep the throttle turned even while switch gears? What's the deal here?

15. Battery light turns on while I am starting the bike then turns off about 3 seconds later after starting, is this normal? Sorry I have never had this “Christmas” tree of lights before on any bike. (ok, this may be stupider then my last question)

16. Valves, how hard are these to do yourself? I've done them on my inline's before but how hard does this compare to inline valve clearance checks and shimming's?

17. Phone chargers and phone holders, do any of you guys use any that you could recommend?

18. I noticed some old oil underneath the seam of the valve cover to the head, It might be from a past fill up but just to be sure I want to replace the valve cover gaskets.

A. What are the left and right valve cover gaskets part numbers?

B. Is there any other gasket here I should replace, like spark plug gaskets? If so what are the part numbers?

19. I'm looking for a back rest, This might not exist but is there any back rest for the passenger that attaches to the top of the BMW luggage rack or something? Any links to options?

20. Headlight and instrument cluster housing, can these be bought separate, I noticed some light pitting on them and would like to replace them but don't want to buy the whole assemblies just the housing, anyone know where I can get either?

Okay that's it for now, any help in any of these is greatly appreciated and I will try to update them once they are answered. Thanks

The early 1150 have been known to be "Pig in a Poke". Some of the same items destined to fail the R1100 bikes had.

5A. Fold out pegs cost me $350. Not designed to stand on, but gives a break to the rigid body form keeping the legs folded up.

10. Any competent locksmith can cut you a duplicate key. It may be Ilco or similar. Beemer blanks are expensive.

20. Keep your eyes on eBay for used parts. Possibly BeemerBoneYard might have some of the items you want.

You should post what year and model and your location in your signature. Perhaps someone near you has a parts bike. There should be plenty of them around. You just have to look.

Edited by Roger C
The early 1150 have been known to be "Pig in a Poke". Some of the same items destined to fail the R1100 bikes had.

5A. Fold out pegs cost me $350. Not designed to stand on, but gives a break to the rigid body form keeping the legs folded up.

10. Any competent locksmith can cut you a duplicate key. It may be Ilco or similar. Beemer blanks are expensive.

20. Keep your eyes on eBay for used parts. Possibly BeemerBoneYard might have some of the items you want.

You should post what year and model and your location in your signature. Perhaps someone near you has a parts bike. There should be plenty of them around. You just have to look.

5A, thanks at the price I'll keep them... they really are nice.

10. good to hear, I'm going to order a blank off ebay most likely.

20 never heard of beemerboneyard... ill Google it now

And thank you for those answers!, I really appreciate it.

On the pegs, the brand name is ELF Pegs. Beware in buying many parts or accessories for your bike to get single spark items, not twin spark. On the Elf pegs, they sell a parts kit for the common parts that fail or bend.

http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/elfx.shtml

I can't get into all your questions now, but Krylon Dull Aluminum is a very close match for painted items. Wurth brand BMW wheel paint is closer but many BMW owners won't pay the price for it.

For parts, rather than is giving you part numbers, get familiar with realoem.com and enter your last 7 digits of the bikes VIN number so you can get the correct items.

Again, in the gaskets, single spark and twin spark will differ.

This way, you trust yourself.

If you don't get all your questions answered in a timely fashion, easier to just call me .

I have 13yr BMW dealership experience and no way the best person for advice but I've seen a lot.

9-4 Pacific Time if I'm busy, I'll call you back. 559-288-1490

Al

Just picked up a 2002 R1150R,

9. Gas tank pressure, after riding for a while if you open the gas tank there is pressure that accumulated. Is this normal for these? None of my other bikes did this? Is there an overflow open vent tube like other bikes? Cause if it was any other bike I would just assume this was clogged

11. Cold Starts, how is this done with this bike, again only ever owned carb'ed sorry for the naivety here.

12. Side bags, one of my orange locking latches snapped Are these replaceable? And if so where can I order the latch from?

14. Shifting …Okay, so I have only really ever owned sport bikes, so this question may be the dumbest on my list but forgive me I just want to make sure nothing is wrong here. I am use to changing gears at 6k when riding normally and 10-11k when sprinting around… when I change gears I usually drop the full throttle back in, clutch in, shift up, and snap the throttle back… all in a quick ½ second or so motion… however with this bike I knew I would be shifting at lower rpms but even at 4500 when I switch gears I feel like it dogs down … The owner said “that's because with these bikes you have to keep the throttle about a ¼ turned when up shifting and never fully let go or there is not enough gas and it will have that quick nose dive feeling” Is this normal, do you guys keep the throttle turned even while switch gears? What's the deal here?

15. Battery light turns on while I am starting the bike then turns off about 3 seconds later after starting, is this normal? Sorry I have never had this “Christmas” tree of lights before on any bike. (ok, this may be stupider then my last question)

16. Valves, how hard are these to do yourself? I've done them on my inline's before but how hard does this compare to inline valve clearance checks and shimming's?

17. Phone chargers and phone holders, do any of you guys use any that you could recommend?

18. I noticed some old oil underneath the seam of the valve cover to the head, It might be from a past fill up but just to be sure I want to replace the valve cover gaskets.

A. What are the left and right valve cover gaskets part numbers?

B. Is there any other gasket here I should replace, like spark plug gaskets? If so what are the part numbers?

9. Yes, there is a vent. For emissions,it leads to a charcoal canister and some hoses. The canister is likely clogged and this should be fixed. First just check to make sure the hose isn't trapped under the gas tank and clamped off there. Otherwise, do a search for canisterectomy and you'll find instructions to remove the charcoal canister and route the vent straight down to the footplate.

11. There's no choke on these bikes. The choke lever is just a fast idle. the lever does the same thing as just holding the throttle slightly open when starting. So, just put a little pressure on the throttle grip and give it a little gas as it starts.

12. There's a repair kit. Somebody will provide the part number.

14. These BMW transmissions are not like sport bike gear boxes. Shifting is a bit clunky. Preload the shifter when upshifting - put pressure on the lever and increase the pressure just as you grab the clutch lever. It's a technique that you'll have to practice.

15. I believe that is part of the normal process. If you can change the alternator lamp in the dash from the 1.4 watt bulb to a 3 watt bulb then charging will begin quicker. Just rev the engine and the charger should kick in.

16. Valves are easy to check and adjust on these bikes. There are several online PDF files and videos on valve adjustment. Try a search for Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies.

17. Look at Powerlet, they make a socket that fits the BMW power outlet and should have one with USB power connections. Holders, look at RAM Mount products.

18. Learn to access the online parts catalogs. Go to MaxBMW.com and click on the parts fiche. Select your model bike and you'll find the part numbers for the valve cover gasket - same part left and right, and for the spark plug hole gasket. Beemerboneyard sells both of those too.

Bert Remington

4 http://advrider.com/index.php?resources/gs-hand-grip-swap.23/

8 AF-XIED

14 refresh transmission fluid; inspect, lubricate and adjust shifter and clutch mechanisms

16 http://advrider.com/index.php?resources/ovad-v2-2.43/

You have to join ADVRider to read full articles but site provides useful and entertaining information. There are other sites providing a wealth of accessible information.

If you personally haven't done it, change brake fluid as old fluid is a sneaky destroyer. You will probably get urgent brake line replacement suggestions (I chose Galfer for price and steel fitting reasons).

If there is a 2-second rattle on starting, upgrade cam chain tensioner (its easy).

Bert Remington

17 I chose Cliff-Top 3.3amp (angled) $26 from Amazon. Search for BMW, DIN and Hella USB Adapters. You can find PowerJets with LED voltmeters, useful because keeping batteries charged can be problematic. Previous owner already installed separate voltmeter with larger LCD display and I preferred Cliff-Top ergonomics.

On the pegs, the brand name is ELF Pegs. Beware in buying many parts or accessories for your bike to get single spark items, not twin spark. On the Elf pegs, they sell a parts kit for the common parts that fail or bend.

http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/elfx.shtml <-- Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Krylon Dull Aluminum is a very close match for painted items. Wurth brand BMW wheel paint is closer but many BMW owners won't pay the price for it. <-- This Wurth looks like its about 20 bucks which isn't bad if it really is a close match, can you confirm the color is "Alloy Silver" that matches

Also the Krylon "Dull" isn't for heat, they offer two high heat versions:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/KRYLON-INDUSTRIAL-TOUGH-COAT-HIGH-HEAT-SPRAY-PAINT-12-OZ-ALUMINUM/19289966

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-K01407000-High-Heat-Spray-Paint-Satin-12-oz-Aerosol-Can-15-20-sq-ft-Aluminum/19289253

Are either of these correct? I'm just assuming this needs to be head rated as its on the Engine Covers

For parts, rather than is giving you part numbers, get familiar with realoem.com and enter your last 7 digits of the bikes VIN number so you can get the correct items. <--- Thanks, checking this out now

Again, in the gaskets, single spark and twin spark will differ.

This way, you trust yourself.

Al

9. Yes, there is a vent. For emissions,it leads to a charcoal canister and some hoses. The canister is likely clogged and this should be fixed. First just check to make sure the hose isn't trapped under the gas tank and clamped off there. Otherwise, do a search for canisterectomy and you'll find instructions to remove the charcoal canister and route the vent straight down to the footplate.

11. There's no choke on these bikes. The choke lever is just a fast idle. the lever does the same thing as just holding the throttle slightly open when starting. So, just put a little pressure on the throttle grip and give it a little gas as it starts.

12. There's a repair kit. Somebody will provide the part number.

14. These BMW transmissions are not like sport bike gear boxes. Shifting is a bit clunky. Preload the shifter when upshifting - put pressure on the lever and increase the pressure just as you grab the clutch lever. It's a technique that you'll have to practice.

15. I believe that is part of the normal process. If you can change the alternator lamp in the dash from the 1.4 watt bulb to a 3 watt bulb then charging will begin quicker. Just rev the engine and the charger should kick in.

16. Valves are easy to check and adjust on these bikes. There are several online PDF files and videos on valve adjustment. Try a search for Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies.

17. Look at Powerlet, they make a socket that fits the BMW power outlet and should have one with USB power connections. Holders, look at RAM Mount products.

18. Learn to access the online parts catalogs. Go to MaxBMW.com and click on the parts fiche. Select your model bike and you'll find the part numbers for the valve cover gasket - same part left and right, and for the spark plug hole gasket. Beemerboneyard sells both of those too.

9. Okay will try to check this this weekend, Thanks!

11. Okay, that makes sense, thank you!

12 Great, and I found it, it was on the main forums part list "71.60-7 654 337"

14... Driver, not the bike... I.D.10-T error, got it

15, good news thanks

16. Also good news thanks

17. checking them out now, thanks

18. I just registered for beemerboneyard so I will probably get an order together with them, thanks

4 http://advrider.com/index.php?resources/gs-hand-grip-swap.23/ <-- waiting on the mods to approve my new member account, but thank you in advance.

8 AF-XIED, <-- Okay I checked this out I might have to call them and get some more information as there seems to be differnet options, but thank you for the reference.

14 refresh transmission fluid; inspect, lubricate and adjust shifter and clutch mechanisms <-- Yeah, that is probably worth doing regardless, thank you

16 http://advrider.com/index.php?resources/ovad-v2-2.43/ <-- also,. waiting on the mods to approve my new member account, but thank you in advance.

You have to join ADVRider to read full articles but site provides useful and entertaining information. There are other sites providing a wealth of accessible information.

If you personally haven't done it, change brake fluid as old fluid is a sneaky destroyer. You will probably get urgent brake line replacement suggestions (I chose Galfer for price and steel fitting reasons). <-- Checking this out this weekend, thanks

If there is a 2-second rattle on starting, upgrade cam chain tensioner (its easy) <-- Didn't notice this but I can check this weekend, thanks!.

17 I chose Cliff-Top 3.3amp (angled) $26 from Amazon. Search for BMW, DIN and Hella USB Adapters. You can find PowerJets with LED voltmeters, useful because keeping batteries charged can be problematic. Previous owner already installed separate voltmeter with larger LCD display and I preferred Cliff-Top ergonomics.

Thanks, will check these options out

Hello Cinko.

I'll address the grips. I have an 03 rt so you may want to check if your grips are the same as mine first.

I replaced mine using two right hand non heated grips i purchased from BMW . ABOUT $37. Just peel them back and carefully cut the rolled up section as you go. They were only stuck on at the very end. It was easy to avoid cutting the small heating wires under the grip. To install I lubed up the bar ends and inside the grips with hairspray. Slide them on quickly. Hope this helps

Edited by joeb
Hello Cinko.

I'll address the grips. I have an 03 rt so you may want to check if your grips are the same as mine first.

I replaced mine using two right hand non heated grips i purchased from BMW . ABOUT $37. Just peel them back and carefully cut the rolled up section as you go. They were only stuck on at the very end. It was easy to avoid cutting the small heating wires under the grip. To install I lubed up the bar ends and inside the grips with hairspray. Slide them on quickly. Hope this helps

Thanks, this is my plan to do.. Ive got a bit of a list now of things to knock out this weekend, but I will probably do exactly this afterwards.

The Wurth product is now called Silver Lacquer.

Years ago it actually said "BMW wheel paint" but they probably got a nasty-gram from the mothership.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/wus-892181.html#.Wedf-lRlChA

The Krylon is just like above. "Dull Aluminum" it doesn't need to be high heat as the valve covers don't get very hot.

Okay that's good to know, I'm gonna check if they sell it local if not Ill probably end up having to order it. I really appreciate you looking into that for me.

1. The exhaust

A. ? Still don't know

B. ? Still don't know

2. All set - Ordered NKG 2095 BKR7EKC-N Per BMW

3. Mirrors ? Still don't know

4. Grips All Set

A. All Set - Video was staright forward

B. All set - Ordered Two Sets of standard BMW and plan on installing both rights.

5. Valve Covers

A. All set - Thanks for the link

B. All set - Ordered Wurth BMW Wheel Paint to match

6. Front forks

A. ? Still Don't Know

B. ? Still Don't Know

C. ? Will the Wurth match here too?

7. Tank,

A. All set, Just wiaitng for one to show up on the boneyard and Ill grab it

B. All set, there is one right now under 300.. just the wrong red =(

8. Performance, ? Still a little unsure here.. I'm reading other swapped this and did nothing and it still performed better>?

9. Gas tank pressure, All set - got the info I needed just got to digging into it to see what ups

10. Keys - All set, will eventually order from ebay and have it cut locally

11. Cold Starts - All set

12. Side bags - All set, got the part and will eventually order this... but not in a rush for it right now

13. Front Engine cover

A. ?Still don't know

B. Got the paint will light sand and touch up with the wurth.

C. ?Still don't know

14. Shifting … All Set - replacing fluids and plan on relearning my habits here

15. Battery light - All Set

16. Valves - All Set, got feeler gauges re-orded (lost my other pair) and will be knocking this out once the rest of the parts come in the mail.

17. Phone chargers and phone holders, - All set - now just browsing... will eventually settle on something I'm sure

18. valve cover gaskets - All Set

A. All set ordered both left and right valve cover gaskets. 11121341708

B. All set ordered both spark plug interior gaskets

19. I'm looking for a back rest, ?Still don't know

20. Headlight and instrument cluster housing, All set, browsing the bone yard waiting for them to come up

Just wanted to update because I cant edit my first post...

1,3,6,8,13,19 Are the only ones I still have questions with... everything else not is underway and being taken care of, Thanks everyone for helping me on this!

Edited by Cinko

1. Exhaust. The headers on a BMW turn a rusty-colored brown. Its the nature of the beast.

3. There are many pics of R1150R cycles on the web. Most show the lolly-pop mirrors, although some use after market mirrors.

19. Of all the pics I saw, not a single one had a back rest. There were a few with luggage rack and trunk, but no backrest. In fact, I am inclined to believe the R1150R was designed for a single rider in mind, as the pad behind the rider looks to be quite small and uncomfortable. I was the purchaser of a R1100RT because "the wife" did not like the small passenger seat. I just wish that was the only problem this bike had, but, about $2300 expenses, and things seemed to be settled down now.

I removed the cat on my 2000 R1100RT. No gain in performance and it sounded worse.

There are aftermarket fuel units. I bought a Techlusion for a couple hundred bucks. Smoothed everything out.

Removing the 02 sensor wires made a huge difference. Techlusion has a virtual accelerator pump that works great.

PM sent, I am parting out the RT.

David

1. Exhaust. The headers on a BMW turn a rusty-colored brown. Its the nature of the beast.

3. There are many pics of R1150R cycles on the web. Most show the lolly-pop mirrors, although some use after market mirrors.

19. Of all the pics I saw, not a single one had a back rest. There were a few with luggage rack and trunk, but no backrest. In fact, I am inclined to believe the R1150R was designed for a single rider in mind, as the pad behind the rider looks to be quite small and uncomfortable. I was the purchaser of a R1100RT because "the wife" did not like the small passenger seat. I just wish that was the only problem this bike had, but, about $2300 expenses, and things seemed to be settled down now.

1. Okay thanks for clearing that up.. hopefully this sand blasted look with stay for at least a little while...

3 "Lolly-pop" is a perfect definition of these... Really want something a little slicker

19 lol Its all about perspective I guess, this is a bit of an upgrade to whats on a lot of sport bikes.. but I believe you are correct, it looks putting a trunk on top of my rack may be the best bet.

Thanks Roger!

You could see if you like the K1200RS mirrors. Popular swap .

Here is a pic of them on a R1150R

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159579

About the same year K1200RS to get the twin spar type.

Those definitely look better to me, but still trying to move to a sharper look oval is better then round, but at 220$ I think Id rather hunt down something aftermarket that fits. Thank you though.

I removed the cat on my 2000 R1100RT. No gain in performance and it sounded worse.

There are aftermarket fuel units. I bought a Techlusion for a couple hundred bucks. Smoothed everything out.

Removing the 02 sensor wires made a huge difference. Techlusion has a virtual accelerator pump that works great.

PM sent, I am parting out the RT.

David

Thanks for the info, and I responded to you PM.

You could see if you like the K1200RS mirrors. Popular swap .

Here is a pic of them on a R1150R

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159579

About the same year K1200RS to get the twin spar type.

Those definitely look better to me, but still trying to move to a sharper look oval is better then round, but at 220$ I think Id rather hunt down something aftermarket that fits. Thank you though.

You don't have to pay new, retail price. These come up for sale often on several different sites. Beemer owners are "frugal" (aka Cheap).

Glad to have you here as part of the family!

You don't have to pay new, retail price. These come up for sale often on several different sites. Beemer owners are "frugal" (aka Cheap).

Glad to have you here as part of the family!

Thanks!

Cinko,

#3 Mirrors: VERY NICE mirrors, similar to the KRS (later mod) $93 per pair

#8 Performance: AF-Xied by NightRider (THE single best "enhancement I've made, and the cheapest)

#10 Keys: $11 Key blanks (2)

Post some pics!!

Those all look good, thank you very much, much better priced too. I appreciate the links alot.

Cinco,

One other mod that might come under #8 Performance, if you consider "running" vs "not running" as performance, you will want to have the HES rewired. The OEM wire insulation gets very brittle and soft with heat and age, even under the sheath where you can't see. Eventually (at about the 15-year mark), the insulation on these four tiny wires will just fall off shorting the wires and killing the spark (ignition). There is much info on this on lots of forums. BMW decided to save money and use about 14 inches of cheap grade wire. The sensors are good, it's just the wires. The R1100 RT and S had this problem prior to '02 or '03. K bikes were OK. My RT died one day on a ride. Just died and would not restart. Knew immediately what it was from reading about it here. Wrecker ride home.

After this experience, I did a preemptive replacement on the R11S. The thought of having this happen 200 miles from home and the ensuing $ and hassle were enough motivation.

The best way out of this is to send your HES to GSAddict (Reto Camenisch at arbcon@sunshinecoast.ca ), or PM him here. It is by far the most cost-effective and permanent fix. He does excellent work and quick. He reuses the sensors & plate, replaces the connector on RT's, wiring (with the heat rated wire), and sheath. The connector for the R11S is different and not replaced.

Use the USPS for shipping to Canada. When you fill out the little import duty form at the PO, BE SURE to list the value of your HES as $0.00, which it is. If you don't, the fees are huge.

More pics of the failed HES here: Failed '99 R1100RT HES

Pics of the REWIRED HES by GSAddict here: Rewired HES

Kp98wi0oCSi-6lXQwU68AivEDWTNTEbYAW5HHsaLRfozogwEKZa8I0w-eQfzWQLghjdds0crzOFIw2olbeOEm9axUDzM7aRTBz1jIBpIiYMR9Dw1zUNGE92Mof6xnWh6yrImffjnVJg3gZQGdQWbjUYJgr4Uf8F1-0V-1v6CD_K9FnSyjU1B8Nt8QUHcm4jkGKlLsU2ZdSs40r813qsr3mvSAc1uo7-CR7Xg0CVBfI1sBDuPsRhnyKbUVG43vOiGyWNNCyFYFIoWuY_LMqLI3P5ny-hqf7psyPCTtv7ai2crHIHDN7Pzk2jdR6aI2oljofSABnJ-sG-Q-_K7fkX5RVHpvGddg8eP8PRiImKEXfHepPsodmnLy3gGhe9zfRZ87TVztJIQ3msXy9tQ556w1JJC01cA5B3KtDxmT29A29EGlh_riW3Icg1-I4oUd_Deai_JsRXNff04J7DA5U6rWMuqEg3Z0bUCtRuA8NNlqYfec8aw_qXgil4oJUJ7fPVsCH9iTp6B9FAnmVZGHsRta90uoOnMiyA2B8RTr1GAPIk7c1JO65TSGVTBDJ62cF6T2iQZgh4nv-SmpaydjnApRBqYi2ih_mErvMRVKJwHMo23veg2W2oPPKYbNtpATQsBZqGLZDmGhLu0eFmiFGSI1bH2MmQt06v9aKI=w513-h911-no?.jpg

nA0LzJf5XGzOIeJ64exnHg_fu23CgY3RhguP4YIaZExDEZ6uQGCl9Ly7e-dnQeRCy1L18t2lQSCzNdkWRU8bL4XDCyCBqA1iv17OpPm3DExtEQxxeTfgr17nVpOExq5WBDz009cENImqJ4zifeZigQhjFdvgFJmlCHrYb1FMAPLDCgWU0yOJagl8adJ6aOn5hTAApITQsX7A4XY6-OX51Lw1LyZMU6YoJQVq8UctMeKDuZ9IKf0c1Vd3bzHfnKgKUExx4KnrcfDHIEhfw1TLwK44ihYmIAwlgBW8xkmNrm7-nlN8OyW6HjkaTJw12LvJUdIoDRTywfXNWAPfEuV0nr-OPYAwZkN9Qk7hjPd_sYGYn0n-zUBwAEARp2v_Irw3dSq_gAH_XQAfXVOEarOOF1oWYXaFGJyw0_w7kiI-kVaqm5gBdfRak__kj_Km9PrfWLleJRjIN9f8JUmq21bC-gzR8LIPzBtfDpmfZpGYFNsj72jH-CqLSHzFZQF9N3nGW3YZgQasyNa_ThZtG1qaP6OeRP8gi2cnMDD3Oh2QgNoWxv-l85lT4Mx-PIGC-dmvgWhwySGlEi9f4-lusIJnZs1q39lGFlQizJO6q6BmQxFvQFCPeZzrOWH8AmPMRN8496IFAGreQukI5tI9C8RpOGXsSI1s-b-TCog=w1620-h911-no?.jpg

Oh and Tri750 thank you again for that Wurth paint recommendation was perfect... redid the front forks and it was a perfect match

For the record, to anyone else reading

Perfect match for the forks and a close match on the valve covers, front engine cover and rear center plastic for the luggage rack.

The match on the forks is so close you can spot treat and can't tell the difference the others you need to remove and paint in their entirety and reinstall... touch up you could tell the difference but fulley painted they look great and blend in nicely. Very happy and worth the cost for sure.

"Use the USPS for shipping to Canada. When you fill out the little import duty form at the PO, BE SURE to list the value of your HES as $0.00, which it is. If you don't, the fees are huge."

I'll add to this. Reto flatly refuses to pay any duties or taxes on incoming packages. In fact, he will refuse the package and let the postal service return it to you. Rather, you would have to pay the import duties and taxes if value is anything more than $-0-.

"Use the USPS for shipping to Canada. When you fill out the little import duty form at the PO, BE SURE to list the value of your HES as $0.00, which it is. If you don't, the fees are huge."

I'll add to this. Reto flatly refuses to pay any duties or taxes on incoming packages. In fact, he will refuse the package and let the postal service return it to you. Rather, you would have to pay the import duties and taxes if value is anything more than $-0-.

Thank you Roger for clarifying... ive bought parts from Canada, but never sent anything to Canada so the taxes / process is a bit unknown by me.

Cinko, It's a money-making scheme for the Canadian postal service. If there is a value listed, they tax it and impose a duty fee to the recipient. There may be a low threshold but I don't know what it is.

On HES repair, I did not get clear instructions to show "$0" value from Reto, whereas others did. Cost me an additional $45.50 in duties and taxes. The technicality is my HES was working when I removed it to have it rewired so I declared a value. So, even if yours is working you should show "$0" value on the forms.

An option to consider: You can get a new aftermarket HES from Beemerboneyard for $200 with a replacement warranty included.

Edited by Roger C

OR (if yours is still working and you don't want to be "misstating" the correct value).....you could cut the wires. Then the value WOULD be $0. They're gonna get replaced anyway.