IGNORED

Bike model > Motronic > Coding plug pairing

14TLC

Hi everyone,

Dealing with R1150RT 2001 in a bad condition with long list of things to repair, including messed up throttle stop screws :facepalm: (second this week, one being camhead, thread in the camhead forum) . But among other things I have noticed that according to VIN number the bike is EU model. The Motronic is R1150RT US II Kat/TE, part mumber 13 61 7 654 244. The coding plug is beige color, part number 61 36 8 366 621. Don't think this combination will work as it should. In my opinion is that at some point the Motronic died and it was replaced by US model Motronic. What buffles me is the coding plug. According to part number it is not for US models and it is not for R1150RT either.

Any suggestions how to pair everything.

Just writing this, it occurred to me that I should also check the engine if it is 1150 after all.

Hi everyone,

Dealing with R1150RT 2001 in a bad condition with long list of things to repair, including messed up throttle stop screws :facepalm: (second this week, one being camhead, thread in the camhead forum) . But among other things I have noticed that according to VIN number the bike is EU model. The Motronic is R1150RT US II Kat/TE, part mumber 13 61 7 654 244. The coding plug is beige color, part number 61 36 8 366 621. Don't think this combination will work as it should. In my opinion is that at some point the Motronic died and it was replaced by US model Motronic. What buffles me is the coding plug. According to part number it is not for US models and it is not for R1150RT either.

Any suggestions how to pair everything.

Just writing this, it occurred to me that I should also check the engine if it is 1150 after all.

Morning 14TLC

The usual CCP that runs the best in the BMW 1150RT is the pink (30, 87, 87a) but with what you have there then nothing is positive.

You need to first make darn sure that you have an 1150 engine, then see if it has a catalytic converter, that is has (or had anyhow) an emission evap system ) look for the emissions sticker).

Different CCP's for an evap system bike as well as a cat equipped bike.

As far as I know ALL the BMW 1150 bikes (Ma 2.4 computer) came with a functional o2 sensor.

Or just skip to the end & install a pink CCP (or jumper CCP socket terminals (30, 87, 87a) all together.

In any case if it is running a (functional) o2 sensor it should still go into closed loop no matter the CCP & the (hot engine) idle fueling is controlled by the Mootronic 2.4 through closed loop control.

Thanks dirtrider, roger 04 rt

The bike is equipped with catalytic converter and O2 sensor. I did not spot charcoal canister. Will need to check closely whether it did not have at all or maybe it has been removed.

Thanks dirtrider, roger 04 rt

The bike is equipped with catalytic converter and O2 sensor. I did not spot charcoal canister. Will need to check closely whether it did not have at all or maybe it has been removed.

Morning 14TLC

Look under the seat for an emission sticker, that should tell you the emission class & country.

With a KAT/TE Motronic (from the info I have) usually calls for the pink CCP so no matter the bike's original emission class you probably want to match the CCP to the Motronic in use as long as your bike has the other required closed loop controls like a CAT & operational o2 sensor.

OK guys. The coding plug is part number 61 36 8 366 621 and has connection between 30-86. If you check as a part number it is not listed for R1150 series. On the other hand, according to roger 04 rt post, 30-86 plug is listed for R1150RT US II Kat/TE. The Motronic that this bike have. If later is correct then the coding plug and the Motronic are match. But why as part number is not listed for R1150 series?

And now the silly question. How can someone determine from outside look whether the engine is 850, 1100 or 1150?

OK guys. The coding plug is part number 61 36 8 366 621 and has connection between 30-86. If you check as a part number it is not listed for R1150 series. On the other hand, according to roger 04 rt post, 30-86 plug is listed for R1150RT US II Kat/TE. The Motronic that this bike have. If later is correct then the coding plug and the Motronic are match. But why as part number is not listed for R1150 series?

And now the silly question. How can someone determine from outside look whether the engine is 850, 1100 or 1150?

Evening 14TLC

There are certain identifiers but there is no way to know if some of the 1150 parts were swapped over to an 1100 engine.

Personally I would just get the engine number then run that to see what the base engine (engine case) is.

Engine number is on R/H side under front of cylinder.

yy7Pc6j.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

The important detail in my post is that you must use a GS-911 to know for sure which coding plug is correct 30-86 is not a good match for many R1150rt models. Pink is always safe.

Edited by roger 04 rt