IGNORED

Service manual

kellenbenz

Has anyone had any luck buying a service manual for a 2017 RT from BMW? When I bought my RT I had the service manual included in the sale. That was February 2017 and the manual is still not available from BMW. The 2018 bikes are arriving at dealers now. I have 31,000 miles on this RT now and sooner or later I am going to need that manual. I have written BMWNA customer service and they do reply, but it is all lip service not actual service.

Ron

I've had one on order for my '15 RT for a couple of months now, at least. It's supposedly "delayed" in Germany. I think the delay is that they don't want to sell them to owners.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be surprised if BMW actually has a paper service manual. There is no need for them, they are very expensive to produce and cannot be updated. Technicians are going to use the computer to access the latest procedures and updates. DVD's are cheap to produce, maybe that is what they will offer. Down the road there needs to be factory service procedures. Not everyone will go to BMW, and there are some VERY competent independent shops that need a BMW manual. The Clymer and Haynes are not in the same league for accuracy.

Manuals are not all the same, for instance the 2017-2018 has some significant changes to the drivetrain compared to 2014-2016.

I have the Haynes manual. Good enough for me.

+1 for Haynes. I had the Haynes service manual for my '99RT (R259 motor) and it has served me very well. When I bought my '15RT the Haynes manual for the K52 motor was not out yet and I ended up buying the BMW Service Manual in CD format. It is a very good manual, but is expensive VS the Haynes manual. The OEM manual is very good for showing all the steps to get to what you are wanting to work on, but then assumes you have all the OEM special tools to do the job. Also, it is nice to have all of the OEM part and other numbers it shows. The advantage to the Haynes manual is it assumes you don't have all the BMW diagnostic and special tools at hand, but will point out when they are a must have tool, so I think it is a better manual for the DYI mechanic/rider. Now that the Haynes manual is available I will get one.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally, today, received the official BMW service manual DVD that I ordered on June 15! And aside from the fact that it can be updated, I think I'd rather have a paper manual.

OK, this might seem like a stupid question. How do you update a DVD? Send it back?

I finally, today, received the official BMW service manual DVD that I ordered on June 15! And aside from the fact that it can be updated, I think I'd rather have a paper manual.

OK, this might seem like a stupid question. How do you update a DVD? Send it back?

Need the DVD to download interface and included manual files to your hard disk, but on launch the interface software will look back to the mothership's server for updates/additions...and I'm sure also to verify if your software has a legitimate serial number.

Edited by Paul De

And "installing" it on your computer is not intuitive. You have to hit the "update" button, at which point it says it has to copy all the files to your computer in order to be able to download updates. This also installs the application itself, in the same folder that you selected for the data files. Once you've done that, it appears (from my one launch test) that you no longer have to have the DVD in the drive. So at least there's that. But I predict that I'll be printing pages to use them in the garage, rather than putting my greasy fingers on my laptop.